• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7: Moving from a AMD setup to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

I am thinking of upgrading my PII 940 to a new 2500K chip, but its always a PITA to re-install windows. I have read, windows 7 is better when it comes to change. Has anyone done this move before. If i have to I will byte the bullet, but I am trying to avoid it.

I did the opposite, Intel to AMD, about a month ago. I tried to not reinstall but it didn't work out well. Some weird things were happening, windows and my startup programs were taking forever to load, my antivirus got messed up, a database got corrupted.

I had backups and was prepared to do a fresh install so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I am thinking of upgrading my PII 940 to a new 2500K chip, but its always a PITA to re-install windows. I have read, windows 7 is better when it comes to change. Has anyone done this move before. If i have to I will byte the bullet, but I am trying to avoid it.

Went from an XP Pro Asrock 939 Opteron 180 to an XP Pro DFI E75000. Booted right up (less uninstalled video drivers). Not recommended to leave it that way, mine was just a test. A week later I formatted and reinstalled. YMMV.

with any major hardware changes like this.... ie switching of mobo's / cpus.... u may as well just buck up and do a fresh install... it will save TONS of headaches down the road.

with any major hardware changes like this.... ie switching of mobo's / cpus.... u may as well just buck up and do a fresh install... it will save TONS of headaches down the road.
Uggg not what I was looking to hear. Oh well. At least all my games are in steam.

Agree on this ^^^. By the time you delete (if you can find them all) and add drivers, along with unseen long-term issues, it's faster and more prudent to bite the bullet and do it clean. I was just curious what would happen and to be honest, I was shocked it booted and ran well for a week. This doesn't always happen.

Uggg not what I was looking to hear. Oh well. At least all my games are in steam.

to save some time you can just copy the entire steam folder in program files... then on the new install, download steam, install it, then close out of steam, copy your original steam program file to the new one, overwright everything n ull be good to go.

to fully reinstall my absolutely everything including games I'm only like at 4 hours and that involves several tv and sandwich breaks. It's not that big a deal is it?

You should reinstall Windows. It tends to get corrupted up to the point that it won't even boot any more with changes like that.

Windows 7 was running fine on my last rig until I added another video card to go SLI. It wouldn't boot anymore, and removing that "new" card didn't fix the problem. Only an OS reinstall fixed it. They can be quite fragile when it comes to hardware changes.

I switched from Phenom II 940 to an i7 920 CPU. The chipset I originally had was a 790FX AMD chipset and moved to an Intel X58 w/ ICH10R.

Windows7 booted right up without a problem. It is always worth a try when you do, but don't be surprised if you do have to reinstall the OS from scratch.

to fully reinstall my absolutely everything including games I'm only like at 4 hours and that involves several tv and sandwich breaks. It's not that big a deal is it?

My experience has been just the opposite, at least on windows XP. In fact I started years ago with W95, upgraded to 98 and then to XP/pro and also upgraded a few times. no problems ecer and it was with chipset changes. This will be my first time with Win 7 and it will be intel to intel, but wit a change from p35 to p67. I hop it goes well.

I'm an old Mainframe systems programmer. Reinstalling everything for even a major Hardware change goes against my grain.

:soda:

Sorry wrong quote.

Just to update everyone, the fresh install went without a hitch, but what a PITA! At least it gave me the chance to renew my Intel G1 80GB drive. Writes speeds were in the tank at only 35 MB/s (no trim)

Back