• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 installing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I got win7 pro 32bit by mistake a while back, so was considering getting another 64bit pro but found the Home Premium upgrade 3 license pack for about 10.00 more. Question is, are they more or less a retail version so I can do a clean install since upgrading from Pro would be a downgrade? My daughter also has Vista business wich I think would also be a downgrade but not really sure. I would also want to keep my Pro Version for a later date so if I can do a full install with them I would just go ahead and order.

You can upgrade the Vista Business. That is still technically an upgrade.

I haven't heard of anyone downgrading from Pro, but you may be able to format the drive within the install (while counting as an upgrade), which would start it clean.

The upgrade version requires an OS already to be installed, otherwise your key doesn't work. This is the version I have and I did it wrong the first time I installed.

Hmm, what if I do get another Pro disc that is the x64, can I use the same key that is already on the machine? I know that the key applies to the version like home or pro but does it also apply to the x32 or x64? I will have two keys but the one installed is already tied to the box and cannot upgrade to any x64 without a full install. I could then install the 32 bit on another machine that has Vista because well Vista sucks uswing the new key.

The same key will work for either architecture. And no, you cannot downgrade nor do an upgrade from one architecture to the other.

Thanks for that, it is what I was hoping for. I still went ahead and got the 3 pack license for Home Premium just because I think it is such a sweet deal for 150.00. I did finally find out that they can in fact do clean installs from the MS website if a specific set of steps are followed. More or less you just do a custom install that we are all so used to doing anyway. It is odd that finding the information was so difficult and cryptic for such a large company who's main income is derived from information technology. Now if I can only upgrade the NF4 raid box i will be good.

Back