• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When My Game Crashes My Graphics Go Weird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Everytime I have played a game and say it has crashed for 2 games its Dead Space 1 and Fallout 3 when they have crashed Dead Space is doing it right now it will return to the desktop and when I try to open IE9 and find any info I get weird screen corruption. You can see odd shapes and different colours on occasion and after a reset its fine thing is I can play games for ages Fallout 3 about 3-4hrs per session, for Dead Space currently trying to complete chap 3.

I am using the 11.5 drivers should I maybe go back to the 11.2 ones I normally remove them via safe mode, delete the ATi folder and then reboot back into normal windows. And then install my drivers never had an issues with doing it this way at all in the past when upgrading from 10 to 11 drivers.

Temps sit at 42" when playing the card is only about 6-8 month old

That would happen on my b55 when the v-core was too low.

So might be worth checking system stability again, possibley increasing vcore a little, aswell as testing gpu stability.

I have had major issues with my Sapphire HD5770 and the 11.5 drivers. Second screen flickers and it makes no difference what it's clocked at. I have not upped the voltage though. This card runs stable at 950/1435 at stock voltage. Temps are ok too.

I dumped 11.5 right now for the windows driver and the flickering is gone. It works fine right now as I just set a profile in Trixx for the OC before dumping CCC. Not sure where I'm going from here except RMA and changing to a 6950 or 560Ti.

Everytime I have played a game and say it has crashed for 2 games its Dead Space 1 and Fallout 3 when they have crashed Dead Space is doing it right now it will return to the desktop and when I try to open IE9 and find any info I get weird screen corruption.

Could be unstable GPU OC.

Thing is its not overclocked its still running stock settings has been from day one, the only voltage I have tweaked it my memory and CPU my memory supposed to run at 2.1v so Kingston say but I've had it running at 2.0v for the last 2 years and games have played fine.

My CPU is undervolted at 1.75 I think will check that from stock volts again now issues no overheating as I am using the stock cooler and games and intense programs like AVS video encoder work like a charm. Just that when a game does crash I get all weird screen coruption sometimes maybe it's a HDMI cable problem I cant remember if it's a cheap £3 one I am using my LG 32" HDTV as a monitor as well as for my PS3 and TV/Sky.

EDIT:

RAM is running 2.0v instead of 2.1v
CPU is running 1.275v istead of 1.35v

Both have been running that voltage for almost 2 years

Last edited:
How do I underclock my HD5770 I am wondering if this might be the case for Dead Space maybe it's too powerful I mean can you create a power profile for a certain game to that it only uses the correct amount of speed for GPU/G.RAM.

While I am at it I'm going to test some other games like C&C Generals see if that plays up???

How do I underclock my HD5770 I am wondering if this might be the case for Dead Space maybe it's too powerful I mean can you create a power profile for a certain game to that it only uses the correct amount of speed for GPU/G.RAM.

While I am at it I'm going to test some other games like C&C Generals see if that plays up???

I don't think overpowered will ever affect games in a negative way (aside from simply not supported, /cough kotor) How long have you had your card? It could be that it's going bad.

Try increasing voltages to stock voltages and see if the problem persists.

I'd suggest in this order, uninstalling graphics drivers > restart computer > install newest version drivers > restart > Profit, hopefully

If not, try a different card and see if the problem still occurs.

I don't think overpowered will ever affect games in a negative way (aside from simply not supported, /cough kotor) How long have you had your card? It could be that it's going bad.

Try increasing voltages to stock voltages and see if the problem persists.

I'd suggest in this order, uninstalling graphics drivers > restart computer > install newest version drivers > restart > Profit, hopefully

If not, try a different card and see if the problem still occurs.

It only happens when a game crashes so with Dead Space 1 a lot with it been really crap and never been patched, Fallout 3 sometimes but not much. It did do it once on Crysis 1 I think I cant remember if that did crash or not, Diablo2 and C&C Generals all work fine not the most demanding of games though.

It only happens when a game crashes so with Dead Space 1 a lot with it been really crap and never been patched, Fallout 3 sometimes but not much. It did do it once on Crysis 1 I think I cant remember if that did crash or not, Diablo2 and C&C Generals all work fine not the most demanding of games though.

Honestly, it really sounds like drivers. When I play and a game crashes, it's typically when my card crashes and CCC has to reload the drivers (or something like that). It sounds like on your computer, when it reloads the drivers that something goes wrong. (Or it isn't reloading them at all.)

Have you checked the speed of your card before / after crash using tools like MSI afterburner?

Honestly, it really sounds like drivers. When I play and a game crashes, it's typically when my card crashes and CCC has to reload the drivers (or something like that). It sounds like on your computer, when it reloads the drivers that something goes wrong. (Or it isn't reloading them at all.)

Have you checked the speed of your card before / after crash using tools like MSI afterburner?

Most of the time I just restart the PC and it goes away probably is a driver related issue when I do update I always use Driver Sweeper so just an odd thing I guess. I dont play D.S 1 anymore I bin it and got it back on PS3 it looks better on PS3 to be honest PC got such a crappy port I was a bit shocked.

Most of the time I just restart the PC and it goes away probably is a driver related issue when I do update I always use Driver Sweeper so just an odd thing I guess. I dont play D.S 1 anymore I bin it and got it back on PS3 it looks better on PS3 to be honest PC got such a crappy port I was a bit shocked.

I love dead space. I like playing it on the PS3 because it adds to the scares when I can play it in a dark room with a controller laying back, rather than hunched over on a keyboard and mouse. I still suggest you get the newest drivers etc, because it does sound like a driver issue. :p

Back