• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best ATI/Radeon HD6000 series temperature software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I popped on a GPU waterblock, not a full waterblock. I sinked out my card, but I want to ensure my vreg temps are good. GPU-Z only shows one VReg temp, but 3 GPU temps... I'm clueless.

I remember using rivatuner with my HD4890 and it showed me everything I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

rivatuner and gpu-z show me the same thing on my 6950 :shrug: maybe hwmonitor?

rivatuner and gpu-z show me the same thing on my 6950 :shrug: maybe hwmonitor?

I just tried the latest HWMonitor (1.18) since I was originally on 1.16 and no go... just shows me voltage and gpu temp.

As for rivatuner, my old favorite tool, it's not recognizing much on the 6900... must be too old. I don't see anything newer than 2.24c.

If you are looking for VRM temperature, there isnt anything that can measure it. Youll need a hardware probe as far as I know.

If you are looking for VRM temperature, there isnt anything that can measure it. Youll need a hardware probe as far as I know.

Some VRM's have temperature diodes inside them that can be read. It's possible that the 6000 series doesn't have em anymore. Or not as many.

I have a thermometer... Rosewill one from newegg that works fairly well, but best I can measure is the surface of the copper, no?

I have a thermometer... Rosewill one from newegg that works fairly well, but best I can measure is the surface of the copper, no?

Well if you measure the temperature close to the VRM it should be pretty close.

HWiNFO64 (or -32) is pretty decent, but I think the Cayman boards only have the single VREG temperature sensor.

HWiNFO64 (or -32) is pretty decent, but I think the Cayman boards only have the single VREG temperature sensor.

I assume a "Cayman" board is what I have lol...
Well is that one temp a sensor of just one of the VRegs specifically?

Under HWiNFO it says the VRM temp. sensor is for the Volterra VT1556 chip, but I don't know if that's for one of them, as an average, or what exactly. The actual VRM chip is listed in HWiNFO as a uPI uP6266.

Also, in GPU-Z:
GPU Temp. #1 = DispIO
GPU Temp. #2 = MemIO
& GPU Temp. #3 = Shader

So what exactly do those 3 GPU temps mean... are they all in the core? I've no idea...

I'd say you're pretty safe just using your thermometer man and measuring the sink's temperature and the PCB's temperature right around the vrm's. At least that way, you'd know for sure what they are. Then you can correlate that info to what hwinfo is reading or GPU-Z and figure out what's what. Just my suggestion. I'd trust a thermometer readout any day over a software reading.

So what exactly do those 3 GPU temps mean... are they all in the core? I've no idea...

Per the TechPowerUp forums (I figure if they made GPUZ, it's the best source for specifics):

The AMD GPU Temp sensors usually work as follows:
Temp # 1 = Display IO (Display controller in GPU)
Temp # 2 = Memory IO (internal memory controller in GPU)
Temp # 3 = Shader (internal temperature in the shader core)

All the sensors are inside the GPU itself, not on the card. The MemIO Sensor is usually the hottest. The sensor for the VRMs is listed separately, and not included in those temps. The RAM itself doesn't have a temp sensor AFAIK. "

The main GPU temperature is supposedly measured in the core but in an unspecified area of the core. I actually thought that MemIO was a RAM sensor but apparently it's the GPU's IMC.

So it seems that all the sensors are on the GPU die, other than the VRM temperature sensor (but what it corresponds to specifically... who knows), so the only way to get external temps would be with a temperature probe or IR thermometer.

Last edited:
Under HWiNFO it says the VRM temp. sensor is for the Volterra VT1556 chip, but I don't know if that's for one of them, as an average, or what exactly. The actual VRM chip is listed in HWiNFO as a uPI uP6266.

After giving it some more thought, the Volterra VT1556 is the chip on the right side of the VRM chips on the 6950/6970, which I only sinked on mine as I had an extra heatsink from the Enzotech kit I was using. I can't imagine the VRM temperature is measured from that chip specifically, as it's not normally sinked under the stock cooler anyways and doesn't appear to get particularly hot.

As soon as I've time, I'm going to dremel out some copper sinks and redo my vregs, but I'm also wondering if I should create some sort of bracket to MOUNT DOWN... there's no way I'm putting epoxy on the vregs (even though I have it) as I don't want to void the warranty on a $350-400 card (6970)...

I wonder if I can find anything at home depot... a thin, strong enough piece of metal that I can cut down to size and drill two holes, then mount it onto the card...

Oh, here's a pic of what I've sinked, from this thread. The red rectangle (top-left) I didn't sink, but was unsure. The copper over the vregs is low-profile b/c no other heatsink would fit (clearance issues to the right of the vregs):
attachment.php

I ended up sinking most of those chips but I didn't touch that line on the right (from the blue sink down), as they weren't sinked under the stock cooler.

What does the chip on the left (red box) read? I didn't sink it as I thought it's probably unnecessary, but I guess it would depend on what it does.

I ended up sinking these chips (from this thread) :

Xxw5g.jpg

Edit: Garo I think repilce made a good point in the thread you linked where you might want to swap out those low profile copper sinks on the vregs with the Enzotech MOS-C1's. I ended up cutting mine down (due to the accelero not having a ton of clearance) though with water you shouldn't have clearance issues. They'll need some airflow either way, but using the separate mosfet sinks on the VRM's should require less direct cooling than the low-profile shared heatsinks. Also the MOS-C1's are the perfect size for ATI mosfets.

Last edited:
The thing in the red box is an inductor, don't worry about it.
They have to get blisteringly hot to have issues.

The hottest stuff on the card (other than the core and possibly ram) is the line of tiny IC's next to the big fat vertical ones. You have heatsinks on 'em, so you should be good to go.

grumper, what did you use for adhesive? I'm most worried about getting a heatsink to stick on those tiny vregs (very little surface area to stick to).

I sinked the thing under my tiny, blue heatsink on the top-left b/c the stock cooler blasted air over it I believe, so I figured a heatsink would do the trick...

grumper, what did you use for adhesive? I'm most worried about getting a heatsink to stick on those tiny vregs (very little surface area to stick to).

I sinked the thing under my tiny, blue heatsink on the top-left b/c the stock cooler blasted air over it I believe, so I figured a heatsink would do the trick...

That's not a bad idea sinking those chips since you're using water. Since I'm using an Accelero XP they get enough airflow that I'm not really concerned about them (plus I read some leaked docs somewhere, I think XS, that mentioned they have something like a 150C limit, although that could also be highly inaccurate).

Getting the Enzos to stay on those tiny VRM's was tough. There's not much for them to adhere to, and you really don't want them falling off, so I took extra precautions:

I used Sekisui thermal tape for all of the chips. I cleaned them with 91% alcohol, used a pencil eraser to rub on them for a bit (carefully -> make sure you don't knock any resistors loose), then cleaned with a second application of alcohol. After this I put the enzotech sinks on the Sekisui tape and pressed all the bubbles out that I was able (the tape came from eBay on paper strips). I did a test application with the little chip on the far-right first to see if I cleaned the chips well enough. I applied the Enzo's to the VREGs, being careful not to crush anything on the other side of the board (I probably should have attached the backplate with zipties before I did this, but I didn't realize this was an option at the time), then used a hairdryer to heat up the copper to ~70-80C. I monitored the temps with an IR thermometer, but as long as you heat them briefly it should be fine since they're not powered on or anything.

Once they cooled I checked them to see if there was any wiggle & held the board upside-down to see if the tape was holding, but unless you apply alot of force they shouldn't go anywhere. Also when I pulled the card out to check later on the bond on the RAMsinks at least had gotten alot stronger from heat-cycling.

The Enzotech C1's are probably the best size for the application that you could want. They overhang the top two VRM's as they're by far smaller than the others, but the other VRM's were almost exactly the base dimensions. The only issue I with them was with the height, which won't be a problem with your setup, although the copper's so soft you can cut them with wire snips.

I thought about using the thermal adhesive from the Accelero kit, but I was worried about RMAs or resale. A few weeks after installation and I haven't had any issues with the setup... so far. :-/

Edit: That said, if you don't want to use tape, I have a tube of thermal adhesive I'll never use that I can send your way if you need it.

Last edited:
Back