• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG 20MM Ammo Case/Computer case MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure there's going to be enough left when it's done to make the original incarnation of the case obvious, if that's what you were going for. From a recycling standpoint, I think it's great.

Some thoughts for making it more apparent that it was originally an ammunition box:
  • Make the side panel removable but latched on (or on hinges), and get a trigger assembly that works as the latch release.
  • Take a dozen spent casings, a yellow or orange LED, some kind of strobe circuit, cannibalize a 120mm fan, put the casings around the edge of the blades so they spin with it, put the LED at the top, and mount it outside the case so there's a sort-of chain-gun firing effect. Put a switch on it of course, because you will eventually get tired of it :)

Last edited:
This is looking to be an awesome project!! If you want to keep the ammo theme you could always slap one of these babies on the side! :attn: And if you want any kind of extra authenticity, it's all in the details....I could find out exactly how that should be marked for any type of explosive or ammunition and let you know so you can stencil it on there.

Attachments

• DOT-13239_150.gif
    DOT-13239_150.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,967
Haven't figured out what I'm going to do for markings yet or much of anything else lol. Any ideas ill take them. Was thinking fans with out lights or with green leds. Or just some white tubes in it. Trying to figure out what the best gpu to put in it too. The 550 is green idk tho. I play cod and battle field mainly.

So i have been looking online for how it should be mark and no luck... wanna help me out? :)
Im still not sure how i want to design the side of it... the right side is all there nothing cut out of it just FYI show shoot me over any ideas you got.
Thanks

This is looking to be an awesome project!! If you want to keep the ammo theme you could always slap one of these babies on the side! :attn: And if you want any kind of extra authenticity, it's all in the details....I could find out exactly how that should be marked for any type of explosive or ammunition and let you know so you can stencil it on there.

O yeah and should i go with green led fans and green tube lights or black fans with white tube lights?
thinking black with white lighting...
Going to paint the inside flat black and out side flat dark forest green.
Friday im going to the store to buy everything :)
I have a lot of sanding to still do... ill post pics once i get more done.

A few ideas and the marking info...

If you are knowledgeable in wiring and soldering, you could re-route your PSU power switch into one of the covered toggle switches like the military uses sometimes. They even have some that have lighted tips when on.

Another idea could be to use a covered momentary on push-button for the actual power button, but put some black and yellow or red and yellow hash markings around it. Think "BIG RED BUTTON" in a movie-style nuclear launch facility.

In the picture below (I'll have a second post with another couple pics to separate info for clarity) you could put a 1.2 sticker (this is the explosive class for the 20MM ammo they use) inbetween the two top fans. That link sells a variety of sizes from 1" to 24" I think. Also, in yellow, if you wanted to keep a somewhat accurate marking for 20MM ammo, you could stencil "PGU-28A/B SAPHEI" (two spaces in there) right above your 5.25" bay opening.

In the picture I have "See note A". What I was thinking is maybe, depending on your budget, you could procure some of the smaller 1.2 Explosives stickers they sell for those spots....or paint em on?

As I think of more ideas I'll post. Ok, on to the next couple pics!

Attachments

• imagesCATLLALY.jpg
    imagesCATLLALY.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,922
  • Push-Button-Safety-Cover-3PDE5_AS01.jpg
    Push-Button-Safety-Cover-3PDE5_AS01.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 3,958
  • IMG118.jpg
    IMG118.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 3,029
In the first pic I have an example of what an older type of 20MM ammo can would look like. To keep yours up to date for what we use now, you would simply stencil in YELLOW the following on the right side of the reinforcement bar:

125 CARTRIDGES 20MM
LINKLESS
PGU-28A/B SAPHEI
LOT CLM03D124-013

And put the following on the left:

115 AVG WT
CU 1.6
USE IN M61/A1 GUN
1305-01-451-8675 (AA22)

If you wanted to add a little something extra (I think it would actually be a bit too much) you could even put the appropriate shipping information along the very top of the side in WHITE:

4A/Y66/S/06/USA/DOD/AYD However, like in the second picture, you would also need to add a "UN" symbol as shown.

Attachments

• Ammo Can.jpg
    Ammo Can.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,221
  • UN Markings.gif
    UN Markings.gif
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,073
Last edited:
A few ideas and the marking info...

If you are knowledgeable in wiring and soldering, you could re-route your PSU power switch into one of the covered toggle switches like the military uses sometimes. They even have some that have lighted tips when on.

Another idea could be to use a covered momentary on push-button for the actual power button, but put some black and yellow or red and yellow hash markings around it. Think "BIG RED BUTTON" in a movie-style nuclear launch facility.

In the picture below (I'll have a second post with another couple pics to separate info for clarity) you could put a 1.2 sticker (this is the explosive class for the 20MM ammo they use) inbetween the two top fans. That link sells a variety of sizes from 1" to 24" I think. Also, in yellow, if you wanted to keep a somewhat accurate marking for 20MM ammo, you could stencil "PGU-28A/B SAPHEI" (two spaces in there) right above your 5.25" bay opening.

In the picture I have "See note A". What I was thinking is maybe, depending on your budget, you could procure some of the smaller 1.2 Explosives stickers they sell for those spots....or paint em on?

As I think of more ideas I'll post. Ok, on to the next couple pics!

Yes im am going to put a momentary soild red miitary switch :) not sure where at tho.
And yes i can solder, i have already re-routed the power plug to the back of the case. the only good spot for the pcu was in the front of the case... needed the room in the back for the GPU's

FYI no limit on money. i want to make it look bad not and not a cheap peace of crap lol

i think i need to go to the store and get a lot of stencils
and order some of those small stickers if i can find them. i can paint but i cant draw so yeah lol stickers will have to work.

Any other ideas.... i was thinking about maybe liquid cooling if i could get it to fit... and do like a nuke theme inside the case.

the smallest 1.2 signs i have found are 100mm x 100mm so like 4x4 inches that would work for the top but i dont think that will fit on the front

Another complicated thought (requiring 5V LEDs and plenty of 5VSB amps on your PSU):
Get some white and orange LEDs, some plastic "crystal" things to make the LED flashes look more like mini-explosions, and whatever parts are needed to make your preferred type of delay-line circuits. Place the LEDs around the interior behind the side panel, and have one or two deep push-button switches on the top or rear of the case. Have them deep enough to be able to attach physical stuff to the back of the switch on the interior. That physical piece would be the latch holding the side panel on, and then the electrical connection to your delayed LEDs, so when the side panel comes off, there's an "explosive" release.

Another complicated thought (requiring 5V LEDs and plenty of 5VSB amps on your PSU):
Get some white and orange LEDs, some plastic "crystal" things to make the LED flashes look more like mini-explosions, and whatever parts are needed to make your preferred type of delay-line circuits. Place the LEDs around the interior behind the side panel, and have one or two deep push-button switches on the top or rear of the case. Have them deep enough to be able to attach physical stuff to the back of the switch on the interior. That physical piece would be the latch holding the side panel on, and then the electrical connection to your delayed LEDs, so when the side panel comes off, there's an "explosive" release.

That is a lot of work lol :) but a cool idea.
The only thing is i dont want to make the side panel come off.
All work will be done by taking off the top, like its already made.
Any other ideas ill take tho of course :)

That is a lot of work lol :) but a cool idea.
The only thing is i dont want to make the side panel come off.
All work will be done by taking off the top, like its already made.
Any other ideas ill take tho of course :)

Then just replace all occurrences of the word "side" with "top" :) You could spring load the latch, too, so it pops out along with the lighting effect :)

You sure you'll be able to screw in the mobo and PCIe cards without having a removable side panel?

:bang head Um... lol

stubby screw driver i guess lol :)
the case is really wide tho... ill check when i get to my room lol...

See this is what i need lol people to help me think and figure that kind of crap out lol

THANKS!!! :salute:

Back