• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG 20MM Ammo Case/Computer case MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
5" of width (motherboard on standoffs) when you have to screw in a screw horizontally near the bottom doesn't sound like much...

Link isnt working

But friday im off so ill be at home depot buying a lot of crap lol

New dremel, because mine sucks, paint stuff. Plexie glass.
Then off to frys to get fans, fan grills and crap like that.

have to make sure i cut the fan holes in the right spot... measure 10 times cut once lol

Any cool ideas on what i can do for the front where the DVD drive comes out? the drive just there looks boring... i was thinking diamond plate but idk.

**** next question... how to secure the DVD drive... :bang head

IMG135.jpg

the drives whole dont even line up where ill have the drive at... prolly need to make something so it doesnt look like crap

sorry about the bad link.. it was just a ratcheting offset screwdriver similar to what you have above except the ratcheting action might make it even easier.

Holes are threaded and drilling them out for rivets opens the possibility of hitting something important.

As long as you get one or two screws to line up to keep it still, bent brackets riveted or bolted into the drive rails could actually support the drive.

well rivets for the drive bay. but the right side is way to tight...
never mind got an idea lol thumb screws... :)
now just have to make that cut off drive bay not look like it was cut off lol

Still desiding on lighting and fans tho...
lets take a vote lol

Black fans with white lighting. (what im leaning towards)
or
Grean led fans with green lighting.
or
something else lol

Paint the inside of the case black, black fans with white blades (Scythe GentleTyphoons/NZXT) and white LEDs. Black mobo (ASRock, Gigabyte) and white RAM (Corsair Vengeance). GPU, something with a black shroud on it, maybe ASUS and paint the red stripes? NZXT makes some quality white PSUs as well.

Just my opinion. I'm a fan of the black and white as well. :D

Paint the inside of the case black, black fans with white blades (Scythe GentleTyphoons/NZXT) and white LEDs. Black mobo (ASRock, Gigabyte) and white RAM (Corsair Vengeance). GPU, something with a black shroud on it, maybe ASUS and paint the red stripes? NZXT makes some quality white PSUs as well.

Just my opinion. I'm a fan of the black and white as well. :D

haha i can tell

white PSU too tho?

Just sanded about back front and window side... so much work lol
I wish i was home in texas lol i miss all my tools

ill post pics in bit.

well i was going to paint the inside flat black.
I was thinking about getting the gigabyte g1 assassin motherboard tho
Keep the cool theme of the ammo case going

ill make a final choice once i get the case finished :)

But im going to go ahead with dark forest green outside, the black inside black fans and white tubes/leds. i want to get the sniper 120mm fan grills but at 50 bucks a pop its like... um maybe the 30 dollar ones look cooler lol.
its the onces from frozencpu

MarineTuck, those 1.2 signs can be found at the link I provided, but since I only linked it in the text you may have missed it. Here it is in full: http://www.compliancesigns.com/DOT-13241.shtml?ref=champ They sell stickers in 1", 2.5", 7", and more. Heck, you can even get aluminum signs, plastic signs and other options.

Here's a thought for the fans that are visible...you know how sometimes you can make a pattern look like a picture when it's spun at the right speed? Maybe you could research that and paint that pattern on the blades, then attach a manual fan controller on it so you can get just the right speed out of it to get your "picture".

Another idea to go along with the 20MM idea. If you want to elevate it off the floor instead of using rubber feet, why not find some surplus 20MM casings in brass (those are MUCH harder to find because we've been using aluminum cases for a long time), and either cut them to desired length and attach to the bottom of the case or epoxy them at the corners to be able to see the whole cartridge. If you have contacts, you could even get a few old target practice projectiles and put those in to make it complete. Just remember to polish the brass and then seal it with a spray on urethane. If you can only get the aluminum case, oh well, they still look cool. Then again, since you're on a Marine base you may (I don't know what they have out there) be able to procure expended 25MM from the LAV. Other than the markings, there's not a lot of difference size-wise. I could tell by looking at it and some others could too, but the average joe would have no clue.

Here's a thought for the fans that are visible...you know how sometimes you can make a pattern look like a picture when it's spun at the right speed? Maybe you could research that and paint that pattern on the blades, then attach a manual fan controller on it so you can get just the right speed out of it to get your "picture".
I've not seen any actual "pictures" done like that (and I'm not having luck finding any with Google either; please point me to them, because I'd like to do that myself :)), but along the same vein, if you draw a picture of an oncoming bullet, and warp a bit of a spiral in it, it will look like it is wavering in flight as it comes towards you. You'd probably want to try it out in a GIF editor first to make sure it looks okay spinning :)

MarineTuck, those 1.2 signs can be found at the link I provided, but since I only linked it in the text you may have missed it. Here it is in full: http://www.compliancesigns.com/DOT-13241.shtml?ref=champ They sell stickers in 1", 2.5", 7", and more. Heck, you can even get aluminum signs, plastic signs and other options.

Another idea to go along with the 20MM idea. If you want to elevate it off the floor instead of using rubber feet, why not find some surplus 20MM casings in brass (those are MUCH harder to find because we've been using aluminum cases for a long time), and either cut them to desired length and attach to the bottom of the case or epoxy them at the corners to be able to see the whole cartridge. If you have contacts, you could even get a few old target practice projectiles and put those in to make it complete. Just remember to polish the brass and then seal it with a spray on urethane. If you can only get the aluminum case, oh well, they still look cool. Then again, since you're on a Marine base you may (I don't know what they have out there) be able to procure expended 25MM from the LAV. Other than the markings, there's not a lot of difference size-wise. I could tell by looking at it and some others could too, but the average joe would have no clue.

Shell casings Best idea yet :) i have a friend with some but the @$$ wont let me buy 4 from him lol
Saw a couple online but dont trust some of those sites. theres 3 on ebay... ill have to keep looking.

And ill have to google the picture thing.... i have no idea how to do that lol

Back