• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need your help with my next article - 7970 Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Hey all,

I am working on my next review featuring the Accelero Hybrid 7970 cooler. So far I have attained numbers for the TwinFrozr4 cooler that came on my 7970 Lightning and the numbers for the cooler itself. I am looking for someone that has a 7970 with a different cooler than the two listed (preferably a reference cooler, but if others are available for testing I would gladly include them as well). I want to keep this with just air coolers as a full water loop has way too many variables.

My testing parameters:
  • Room is kept approximately 24C (approximately 75F) - I do so via a window air conditioner unit.
  • MX-2 thermal paste (to stay consistent)
  • I use a benching station (not required, but nice for consistency)
  • GPU Fan set to 100% (or 12v)
  • Temperatures measured via MSI Afterburner, noting the idle temperature and the peak temperature under the load of the benchmark (min/max basically).
  • Benchmark used is Unigene Heaven with all of the settings maxed out:
    • DirectX11
    • High Shaders
    • Extreme Tessellation
    • 16x Anisotropy
    • 8x Anti-Aliasing
    • Full Screen
    • 1920x1200 Resolution
  • I do one full pass at the settings above, then exit out of the benchmark and wait a few minutes for the GPU to get back down to the idle temperature.
  • Change the vcore to the next notch, then re-benchmark.
  • Vcore used is between 1000mV to 1300mV increasing by 25mV each run.
  • Core clock: 925 | Memory: 1375 (memory volts set to 1600)

If anyone has the time to help me attain the numbers for this I would appreciate it.

I also am trying to keep track of the dBA (decibel level) of the coolers with the fans at maximum speed. I use a sound meter, if you have one available that would be great, if not we can make a note.

Anyone that helps me out will be mentioned in the review :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I personally keep track of my numbers via a google doc that I would share access to for easy editing for anyone able to help.

Thanks all!

I cant help, but something that may make things a bit easier is that you can normalize the temperatures. So people dont have to adjust their thermostats to match your to get accurate results. All they need to do is note the temperature at testing, then you/they can normalize it to your temperatures.

For example, if their room temp is 22C vs 24C and they get 50C load temps, you mark it down at 52C. Thats how we run our temp comparisons. :)

I cant help, but something that may make things a bit easier is that you can normalize the temperatures. So people dont have to adjust their thermostats to match your to get accurate results. All they need to do is note the temperature at testing, then you/they can normalize it to your temperatures.

For example, if their room temp is 22C vs 24C and they get 50C load temps, you mark it down at 52C. Thats how we run our temp comparisons. :)

Good point, hadn't thought of that :)

Looking at deltas :chair:

Replied!

WR is going to help with a Windforce cooler (super thanks :thup:). Still looking for someone with a stock/reference cooler for the numbers if possible!

Hi guys, i was looking for a review of this cooler and i have found this 3d.
Can u look temp with hwinfo32? So u can see temps of also vrms etc.

Thx

p.s. i got reference too and a dimastech, but im not at home

Hi guys, i was looking for a review of this cooler and i have found this 3d.
Can u look temp with hwinfo32? So u can see temps of also vrms etc.

Thx

p.s. i got reference too and a dimastech, but im not at home

afterburner also watches VRMs from my testing, but I didn't note them. My card already has a built in plate that covers the VRAM and VRMs so I didn't install the small little heatsinks for that.

OnDboarder I would love to get one of those cards going (would want to remove one of them to avoid the variable of the crossfire/heat from the other card). If you think you can help with that, shoot me a PM :)

Back