• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Overclocking i5-2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halodude23

Hello, I'm still new to the overclocking process and I would love to overclock my CPU to 4.9-5 Ghz without using the auto settings.

My current set up is
i5 2500k
Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
Noctua NH-D14
CORSAIR XMS3 16GB
XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Kingwin Laser Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU
Memoright 240 GB SSD

Hello, I'm still new to the overclocking process and I would love to overclock my CPU to 4.9-5 Ghz without using the auto settings.

My current set up is
i5 2500k
Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
Noctua NH-D14
CORSAIR XMS3 16GB
XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Kingwin Laser Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU
Memoright 240 GB SSD

Read this first

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

And i don't think that air cooler can support your cpu ar 4.9ghz, go liquid cooling

You can run 5ghz on a D14 if the cpu requires less than 1.5v for it.
That guide is pretty good, my only concern on running 5ghz 24/7 is the board's vrm. That board of yours is not the best out there.
I'd run 4.7ghz without a worry really, you can bench at 5ghz or higher probably.

Not many people run 5ghz 24/7, most the time, i only run my at 4.5ghz, sometime i'll oc to 4.7 or 4.8 just for fun, never have i push my i7 2700k to 5ghz even with a high end mobo and a full custom liquid cooling set up.

I did a ton of benchies at 5.3ghz using my former 2600k and a Thermalright True Spirit 120 heatsink. Used 1.55v for them I think.

5.3ghz using a Thermalright True Spirit 120 air cooler?, for how long? 10 or 20 minutes maybe 30
In 4 years since i start to oc my cpu and gpu, i never see anyone oc their cpu past 5.2ghz for over 1hr and using air cooler

5.3ghz using a Thermalright True Spirit 120 air cooler?, for how long? 10 or 20 minutes maybe 30
In 4 years since i start to oc my cpu and gpu, i never see anyone oc their cpu past 5.2ghz for over 1hr and using air cooler

He said he did it for benchmarking, not daily use....

I run 4.9ghz at 1.488v daily on my 2600k with a Noctua D14. If my chip could run stable at 5ghz Id have it there. I believe if I got the temps down with water I could stabalize 5ghz but it would be around 1.53v just from my testing with this chip.

Regardless, air cooling CAN handle 5ghz depending upon the chip. Ive seen more 2600k/2700k get to 5ghz than 2500k cpus. 2500k seem to start to really tail around 4.7ghz but every chip is different. Start with the guide and go from there with minor tweaks.

Also a good quick way to determine your max safe oc is this:

-set the ratio to 45x
-set manual vcore (disable c states and turbo, eist, speedstep, select manual instead of offset voltage....) to 1.35v
-run Cinebench r11.5
-if it completes the cpu rendering test proceed to monitor the windows Event Logger for whea logger errors.
If you don't see any that oc is most likely good.
you can then proceed to increase the clock or lower vcore a notch till you get errors (then you'd have to increase vcore a notch or two...just stick to the safe vcore range and keep temps below 85c under full load)

You can then test further with prime95 or your preferred method.

Back