• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer randomly freezes. Even reset button doesn't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's the one they run on the same power rail. @ catastrophe set the voltage to a + offset and add the.05v like wingman said. Otherwise setting manual you need to find the right stock VID. One other thing I thought of is LLC. Try setting that to about 6 or 7. I run mine in level6 and seems to hold the voltage fairly well. LLC helps stop voltage fluctuations.

I've done both of those things just now. I'm on a stock cpu cooler right now (my old h100 cooler's power cable was funky so I wanted to eliminate that as a possibility too) but my Noctua NH-D15 should arrive tomorrow AND I think I'll put the system back inside my case (since we now know case components are not causing this). So, heating shouldn't be an issue (not that it is at the moment).

Thanks guys for the help so far. When I fix this thing, I'm taking you guys out for drinks. Not sure how to do that yet, but I'll figure it out.

Fingers and some other parts crossed

It froze again. I wasn't even gaming, was watching twitch, with like 10 or so more tabs open (this is a low number for me, though it froze with no chrome open and just gaming before too). Also, even though it happened 1-2 times before, it usually takes longer for the pc to freeze after a freeze. This time, it was relatively quick.

I took a photo of CPU-z GPU-Z and HWMonitor when it froze, so maybe you might take a look at it. I also changed level 6 to 7 now, to see if it changes anything.

Here is the photo: qmJgrF2.jpg

Edit: Froze again with level 7. I think these changes made it freeze even sooner. This might still be progress on the road to understanding what's wrong maybe? I really don't know.

Last edited:
Your temperature is fine at 80c, voltage is a little high for 4.2GHz clock. I would chat with intel so you can get a RMA on the CPU, if you have already updated the motherboard Bios as a last step.

Your temperature is fine at 80c, voltage is a little high for 4.2GHz clock. I would chat with intel so you can get a RMA on the CPU, if you have already updated the motherboard Bios as a last step.

I have updated the bios, and yeah, did nothing. If we are %100 sure that it's the cpu, I can just get a new 6700k, rma this one, and when they give me a new one I'll sell that. Sure I'll lose some money doing that but rma procedure in my country (Turkey) is a bit of a hassle, and there is no way I'm waiting for like a month without my computer.

The only other thing you have not done is substitute your HDD that can cause freezing.

I have done that. I switched my old ssd and my new ssd. No change.

CPU and RAM are the only two things I haven't changed. But from my experience, memtest usually doesn't give clean results after like 8 hours (forgot how many passes) when there is something wrong with the ram.

Last edited:
When I googled for a solution for my problems, this thread showed up in the results. I have very random freezes (1-3 times a week), but they happen ONLY when I am playing some online game (never in Windows). When it freezes, there is no sound loop or anything, the computer is just completely irresponsive. The reset button does not work and I must turn off the computer holding the power button for a few seconds.

Specs:

PSU: Seasonic X Series SS-850KM 850W
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII (latest BIOS)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL14
GPU: Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC Edition
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

I have not OC'd anything. Mobo, CPU and RAM are only a few months old.

Any suggestions/solutions?

EDIT: OS Win10 Pro N x64, Sound: Asus Xonar U7

Last edited:
When I googled for a solution for my problems, this thread showed up in the results. I have very random freezes (1-3 times a week), but they happen ONLY when I am playing some online game (never in Windows). When it freezes, there is no sound loop or anything, the computer is just completely irresponsive. The reset button does not work and I must turn off the computer holding the power button for a few seconds.

Specs:

PSU: Seasonic X Series SS-850KM 850W
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII (latest BIOS)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL14
GPU: Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC Edition
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

I have not OC'd anything. Mobo, CPU and RAM are only a few months old.

Any suggestions/solutions?

EDIT: OS Win10 Pro N x64, Sound: Asus Xonar U7

Your computer is very very similar to mine. I'm starting to think this is not a CPU issue but rather a specific combination of components.

This is getting really annoying.

The thing is I had a situation in the past with a defect processor and the symptoms were not like this (restarts are common, expected anytime, doing anything). What I am experiencing are not restarts, nor BSODs. The computer just locks up and the reset button does not work. There are no suspicious errors in the Event Viewer. I did some tests: Prime95 for half an hour or so and ROG RealBench (one pass), watched the maximum temperatures - they appear normal. Voltages look fine to me also. I moved the RAM from A1 B1 slots to A2 B2, as I found some thread on the internet saying to do so. Also, I put the Maximum Performance in the Nvidia Power Management section. The thing is I wasn't smart enough to take a look at the little screen of the mobo to see if it's showing any code when the freeze happens, because when it in fact happens I'm always in the middle of an online game hurrying to go back in. I am waiting for the new freeze...

The thing is I had a situation in the past with a defect processor and the symptoms were not like this (restarts are common, expected anytime, doing anything). What I am experiencing are not restarts, nor BSODs. The computer just locks up and the reset button does not work. There are no suspicious errors in the Event Viewer. I did some tests: Prime95 for half an hour or so and ROG RealBench (one pass), watched the maximum temperatures - they appear normal. Voltages look fine to me also. I moved the RAM from A1 B1 slots to A2 B2, as I found some thread on the internet saying to do so. Also, I put the Maximum Performance in the Nvidia Power Management section. The thing is I wasn't smart enough to take a look at the little screen of the mobo to see if it's showing any code when the freeze happens, because when it in fact happens I'm always in the middle of an online game hurrying to go back in. I am waiting for the new freeze...

Well, all the symptoms are practically same.

But I did check the little screen on the MOBO and it doesn't change during the freeze. It shows A0 in both before and after the freeze. So, yeah, yours will probably not change either.

And yes, I also tend to be in the middle of an online game, and usually hurry back in as soon as possible. So I understand your situation completely.

Well it is strange but in my case my pc mostly crash in online game! Maybe it is realted to network card on motherboard?

Also it is worth to mention I have the same card as wh1sper asus GF 660 TI direct cu.

Maybe it's browser related or HW acceleration. For me FF got so bad I won't use it anymore for similar reasons.

Well it is strange but in my case my pc mostly crash in online game! Maybe it is realted to network card on motherboard?

Also it is worth to mention I have the same card as wh1sper asus GF 660 TI direct cu.

Maybe it's related to an unstable internet connection (therefore, yeah, drivers), because mine has some spikes and other problems at traffic peaks. Unfortunately, there was no update for lan drivers for Hero VIII. I played this afternoon, still no freeze...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, all the symptoms are practically same.

But I did check the little screen on the MOBO and it doesn't change during the freeze. It shows A0 in both before and after the freeze. So, yeah, yours will probably not change either.

And yes, I also tend to be in the middle of an online game, and usually hurry back in as soon as possible. So I understand your situation completely.

Does anyone use an APC Surge protector (not an UPS)? I should return mine (it's not protecting me anymore - the diodes are off). Can that cause this kind of problems?

P.S. Sorry for double posting.

EDIT: Would switching AHCI to IDE solve anything? I read that can cause freezing.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone use an APC Surge protector (not an UPS)? I should return mine (it's not protecting me anymore - the diodes are off). Can that cause this kind of problems?

P.S. Sorry for double posting.

EDIT: Would switching AHCI to IDE solve anything? I read that can cause freezing.

I have a UPS but also thought of an unstable surge from the device might cause this and I disconnected it. Nothing changed.

Also, I've never had unstable internet problems BUT all the freezes happened during an online use. That being said, practically %99 of the things I do on my computer use internet one way or another. Isn't that the case for the majority of the users these days? :p Also, there are no network drivers for my motherboard (maximus 8 formula) either. There is a very good chance I use the same driver as you.

I can try to disable the network adapter and leave a single player game running tonight and check if it freezes during the night. I'll report back tomorrow if something happens.

Also, there are days when I don't get a freeze at all. When I disabled c-states, it didn't freeze for 3 days where I was gaming for the most of it. That makes testing certain things a time consuming ordeal. But of course, at this point there are no other options so I might as well try.

So, two things I'll try in the following days:

1- Lower the voltage of the cpu and create a XMP profile for my ram (suggested by Johan45)
2- Disable the network adapter and leave a single player game on tonight (Probably GTA V)

We'll see how it goes.

I replaces my EVGA PSU to old Corsair VX450 W ane for one day I do not have any freezes, after few more days I will report if I my pc crash or not.

I've disabled the network adapter and now using a usb to ethernet port converter for my internet. I'll let you know if/when it freezes so we can rule out the network drivers as well.

Does Intel have the AMD version of Cool'n'quiet? Looking at cata's post why is you CPU voltage dropping to .68v if you have C state turned off. I had some issues with an AMD whenever my voltage would drop from it's p5 state (I think that's the highest one) to one of the lower p states. Caused lock-up/freezes when it was OC'd. I see your not OC'ing but the change in Pstates can cause problems like others have stated. They work fine for awhile and after time they don't work so well, it's like others have said, the slight variations to specs during production. I know Intel does things differently than AMD when it comes to P-states but the easiest way to find out is to go into Control Panel > Hardware > Power Options > Change plan options > Change advance settings > Processor Power Management and increase it's Minimum to 100%, this will make sure the OS doesn't try and change CPU Pstates so your CPUY Frequency won't drop, it will stay at whatever the default is set through bios. Just a simple test and easy to change.

As someone mentioned earlier, it might not be anything other than the CPU showing it's age, all CPUs age differently, some might last years doing what you've used it for, some might last months.

Does Intel have the AMD version of Cool'n'quiet? Looking at cata's post why is you CPU voltage dropping to .68v if you have C state turned off. I had some issues with an AMD whenever my voltage would drop from it's p5 state (I think that's the highest one) to one of the lower p states. Caused lock-up/freezes when it was OC'd. I see your not OC'ing but the change in Pstates can cause problems like others have stated. They work fine for awhile and after time they don't work so well, it's like others have said, the slight variations to specs during production. I know Intel does things differently than AMD when it comes to P-states but the easiest way to find out is to go into Control Panel > Hardware > Power Options > Change plan options > Change advance settings > Processor Power Management and increase it's Minimum to 100%, this will make sure the OS doesn't try and change CPU Pstates so your CPUY Frequency won't drop, it will stay at whatever the default is set through bios. Just a simple test and easy to change.

As someone mentioned earlier, it might not be anything other than the CPU showing it's age, all CPUs age differently, some might last years doing what you've used it for, some might last months.

Hey

Thanks for your time and interest. I really appreciate everyone trying to help.

The setting you've mentioned has been %100 at all times. It's one of the first things I set when I install a new OS.

The age thing doesn't really apply to me since this is brand new and it was doing this 2 days after I assembled the pc. Now the voltages fluctuate minimal numbers even when c-states are disabled. But I manually set LLC to first level 6, and then level 7 but both caused the pc to freeze even faster. Also, today it froze again (before I disabled the network adapter. No freezes yet, I'm waiting) and I took another picture of the voltages just so that we have more than one reference point while analyzing stuff.

Here it is: 20160604_161122.jpg

I've also put the components back to the case, and installed the new gpu that I had disconnected before for testing purposes. I've also installed my new cpu cooler (Noctual d15) so the temps should be a lot lower when it freezes again.

Back