• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer randomly freezes. Even reset button doesn't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh awesome. We're kinda at the point where if that doesnt work, we're basically shotgunning in the dark. Hope it works! :)

Can you perhaps tell me why would disabling that feature help? Or perhaps I should say, why would a default feature would cause random freezes like this? I don't even know what it does honestly.

You mean C states? They manage frequencies and voltages of the CPU cores under various load and temp situations. Basically behind the scenes power management to safeguard the system and make it energy efficient.

Well how it is possible that C-State could cause freezes if cpu, mother board, psu and OS are compatible with it?

Sometimes the motherboard BIOS doesn't react fast enough or a signal isn't sent that more power is needed and the PC "stalls" much like a car would if it's not getting enough gas. Like I said in my other post, the BIOS for my one board has always been troublesome and not just with the C-states just poor coding. Disabling C-states just made it more stable. For the most part I disable this feature on all my systems

Well how it is possible that C-State could cause freezes if cpu, mother board, psu and OS are compatible with it?

We don't live in a perfect world and these components are not made by perfect people. The machines they use to manufacture these components may get out of calibration or the ones using them may be hungover or get distracted. It's not a matter of incompatibility but of variability.

Well I played today 3 hours Black Desert Online and no crashes... Maybe disabling C states solve the problem, I will be sure after few days. It is possible to fix somehow C states? It works fine for 7 months and suddenly broke ;/.

I would purchase a new EVGA PSU, sounds like the PSU you have now is not working with the low power states and your just finding that out. I had the same problem my new PC would freeze with the reset button that did not work.

Well disabling C States does not fix the problem. I switched PSU to Corsair VX 450W today, maybe it will help.

Well disabling C States does not fix the problem. I switched PSU to Corsair VX 450W today, maybe it will help.

I'm sorry to hear that. My problem seems fixed with disabling that and I'm ready to put my components back to the case and finally be happy for the first time in 45 days. Fingers crossed. If nothing happens till Sunday night, I'll consider everything fixed.

Well, I spoke too soon.

The problem is NOT fixed. My computer just froze again.

So, there was someone a few pages back that suggested that I use stock clocks instead of the default "Auto" option on the motherboard. Can someone tell me how I can do that / which numbers do I have to manually enter etc? I've posted my bios screenshots before so you can check and tell me which options I need to change.

So, yeah. I definitely spoke too soon, and I'm still miserable.

Edit: Will post my current setup one more time since it gets confusing for people considering I haven't started the topic. The topic itself is pretty old.

i7 6700k 4.0ghz
ASUS Maximus VIII Formula z170
Corsair RM1000x PSU
Asus GTX980ti STRIX
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR42666MHz C16 Memory Kit (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R)

Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited:
I just turn CPU core/Cache Voltage to manual and increase the number, right? Is there anything else I need to change while doing that?

What other options do you have for CPU core voltage? if you don't have any other options just change the CPU core voltage.

That's the one they run on the same power rail. @ catastrophe set the voltage to a + offset and add the.05v like wingman said. Otherwise setting manual you need to find the right stock VID. One other thing I thought of is LLC. Try setting that to about 6 or 7. I run mine in level6 and seems to hold the voltage fairly well. LLC helps stop voltage fluctuations.

Back