• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most here think it was focused on the knee. If thats the case it seems it's off to the left and down. I've been looking at the SpyderLensCal SLC100, think I might be getting it sooner than I thought.

Edit: Doing these again tomorrow. I think I might have been in live view during the shoot.

I'm not sure that the "focus is on the knee" is a correct assessment. Although it does appear to be the sharpest part of the picture, focus is planar, to begin with. The hair very close to the knee is not as sharp as the knee itself. I'm inclined to believe that what has been pointed out has more to do with motion than focus. If it was a focus issue, anything in the same plane as her knee would be just as sharp, and that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have to go pick the Instigator up at the airport and we're headed north. Good luck!

@ Wicked Klown
Don't buy anything just yet. Try a simple test.
Now, use spot focus at stationary objects and set the lens at wide open.
Normally, I just use 3 or 5 bolt at various height 1", 1.5", 2" ect. and stand them up one in front of the other closely in line.
Fire a shot at the center bolt (at the middle height) and review on computer's monitor at full resolution.
That should give me a good idea to use AF microadjust if needed.
Hope this helps.

Though, I might have jumped the gun about the miss focus. Yes, she might have slight movement of her head while in the shot.
I also notice that your shutter speed was at 0.6 which really slow. So, any slightest movement could have caused out of focus easily.

Last edited:
Earlier this week I got back from a vacation to Newfoundland. (much needed vacation, felt great :) )
Here's the first of a few that I'll post from that:

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 18mm focal, f/11, 1/200 sec, ISO-100
IMG_2179.jpg

Caught this one with BG separation.
a7 + FE 7--200 @ 200mm, f4, 1/100, ISO-320
15295352282_ab1fb246e3_b.jpg

This guy was flying around inside the air port.
a77 + 85mm ZA, f3.5, 1/200, ISO-200
15304998955_3ecae962fb_b.jpg

a77 + 85mm ZA, f4.5, 1/80, ISO-400
15090455055_6b8953f4cc_b.jpg

Last edited:
This pic makes me think you (& your parents) were insulted by a French accented guard on the tower. lol

Nice shot. :)

Actually didn't go with the parents, just went to see a couple of friends :)
And I don't believe we actually saw a guard at the tower lol

Here's another!! Pulling from a different day this time, of the panorama flavor.

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 18mm focal, f/8, 1/160 sec, ISO-100

Pano3.jpg

So you liked it up here? :p

I should visit newfyland one day, very beautiful.
Nice panorama Austin! :thup:

Yeah, it was nice, but I wouldn't want to stay for winter :p
Definitely worth the visit though! I'll probably go back some time.

Thanks bud :)

Man I need to get out more.
Great shot man :thup:

Were you on a boat when you took that?

Thanks! There was an outcropping of rocks that I climbed out on. I managed not to bust my butt there (as opposed to the several times I did at other locations), but I did get a little bit soggy from a wave that broke on them.

How did you get the horizon perfectly level??

It was pretty good in camera, adjusted a little bit in Lightroom ;)

How did you get the horizon perfectly level??

I typically do two things when I'm shooting.
- Use the focus dots to get it close to level with the horizon
- Use the RAW level tool in Photoshop (drag a line across the horizon, auto straightens)

Those two together makes it so that barely any of the picture gets cut off with the leveling tool.

I use the built-in viewfinder level on the 70D. That thing is a godsend. I'd have all kinds of crooked horizons without it, and even so have to straighten the occasional horizon b/c the level is only accurate within 1%. Level horizons are an art in themselves.

Nice shots at the game, hokie!

On the horizon thing... If I'm shooting handheld I use the method ATM described for the most part. If I'm on a tripod I do have a an on-screen level in Live-View mode, which I use extensively.

Awesome shots Hokie. To good infact. The ball is clearly on the ground and should be ruled incomplete. LOL

Shhh...his hand was under it and he didn't let go. TOUCHDOWN!

If it makes you feel any better, I also have a shot of the touchdown before that, which clearly shows a runner was in-bounds when he was ruled out. So consider it a make-up call for what should have been a touchdown about three plays before the one above. :p

Back