• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining Damage. Pics welcomed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one of the fans on my dual x broke but i was able to get it fixed and working again :)

been happily whirring for over a month and still is as i type this right now.

taking the fan apart was...difficult. i had to be very carefully so that i wouldnt end up breaking anything on the board. then i removed the fan, lubed it, left it spin on the test bench for a while, and put it back on my case and has been working great ever since.

when putting the fan back in, apply plenty of pressure to the center on top (intake side) so that the fan wont slip out.

It has been done.

My ONLY rig has died. Just now, I had a complete lock up.

Turns out there is a melted pin in the ATX connector.
It appears mining has claimed it's first victim for me, and of course it's my motherboard.

IMG289.jpg

I'm PRAYING that my CPU & RAM are okay, as I can't afford a new CPU and RAM.
I'll be buying a new Z77 :thup: motherboard tomorrow, so I hope that my HDD's are going to be supported as they are still in RAID 0.

Thank god I made a new system image just last week.

It sound's cheesy, but if you can donate some BTC I'd appreciate it.
(Thank god my address is set up with blockchain.info too!)

Thats a big shame, and to think im running 2 x btc pro, with 6 cards, and no extra power on risers, no issues for 4 months, as far as power to MB.

you can fix it easily.

give me one minute and Isend you a pick of the dirty quick fix.

Well, can't take a pic without taking apart the whole rig...

Simply solder a wire at the back of the MoBo on each of the damaged pins (12v, yellow wires I guess) like in the pic and connect them directly to the PSU wires (after having pulled them out of the PSU connector).

I have 2 MoBos running like this for 4 months without any issue (mining 24/7 with 3 and 4 280x respectively).

Attachments

• 24pins.jpg
    24pins.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 387
Well, can't take a pic without taking apart the whole rig...

Simply solder a wire at the back of the MoBo on each of the damaged pins (12v, yellow wires I guess) like in the pic and connect them directly to the PSU wires (after having pulled them out of the PSU connector).

I have 2 MoBos running like this for 4 months without any issue (mining 24/7 with 3 and 4 280x respectively).

Thanks!

Didn't know about that.
But It's too late for the mobo, won't even power on for more than 2 seconds now...

At least (I pray) it didn't take the GPU's RAM and CPU too...

Thanks!

Didn't know about that.
But It's too late for the mobo, won't even power on for more than 2 seconds now...

At least (I pray) it didn't take the GPU's RAM and CPU too...

It doesn't power on because there is no 12v supply due to melted connector.

If you connect directly the 2x12v pins to the psu 24pins connector (yellow wires), your problem will be soved.

I would try Manu's repair before you rush into a motherboard that wouldn't be your first choice. Try the fix above, also check the connectors on the PSU mobo cable. Make sure the pins are not discolored or burned. If they are, you can crimp on new pins for a few cents.

If you can repair your old board temporarily, then you could have more time to find a good board in the classifieds or raise funds for a better one.

Too late....

Pins are fine on the old mobo (just a bit brown now :p )
And the old PSU power the new mobo just fine (running Prime95 on it now)

I'll be honest guys, that old mobo is probably a goner. It will only power on for 2 seconds then shut down. No beeps nothing... I killed it. :-/

I'll be honest guys, that old mobo is probably a goner. It will only power on for 2 seconds then shut down. No beeps nothing... I killed it. :-/

You're not listening/reading well. Go back and read what they told you. The board not staying powered up might not indicate that it's fried, just that it's not getting a steady/consistent power connection due to the damaged power connection.

You're not listening/reading well. Go back and read what they told you. The board not staying powered up might not indicate that it's fried, just that it's not getting a steady/consistent power connection due to the damaged power connection.

I understand, but hear me out: I have zero interest in reviving that cheap @$$ board.
Since it failed, I have no faith in it. If it works great, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting any GPU in it.

I can't afford a CPU for it + RAM + PSU anyway.

My sabertooth 990fx r2 had this issue: not a cheap board.
Same with my P8Z68-v pro/gen3. Not cheap either.

Both run fine since I did this fix.

RIP my old AMD Duron "Spitfire" :cry:

My very fist CPU...

Stock - 750 Mhz @ 1.6 Vcore.
OC'd - 1100 Mhz @ 2.2 Vcore.

Now on it's last legs, it won't boot Windows anything over 1025 Mhz now :(
Killed with too much heat & Vcore. (Either that, or I screwed up opening the "golden bridges")
My first Cpu OC attempt too :)

View attachment 137778

1025 sounds right for the possible max on my 2001 T-bird 900, which was my first Athlon! Before getting "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD when gaming.
1050 was guaranteed to cause a "STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD.

You're lucky to even get 1.0 when the stock clock is lower than mine. There's no way my T-bird could do 1100! And if it did POST, it possibly only POSTed once!
IIRC, it also caused a BIOS error and went to BIOS recovery mode..... But, when that happened, it was when trying more Vcore with a Deer 250W PSU and after clearing the CMOS, it was back to normal.

And a board of that age likely got bad caps, bummer.....

I see that PSU is an L&C, probably the same manufacturer as the Deer PSUs.....

Last edited:
My sabertooth 990fx r2 had this issue: not a cheap board.
Same with my P8Z68-v pro/gen3. Not cheap either.

Both run fine since I did this fix.

Fine. You've convinced me to keep it.

Maybe I'll fix the bent CPU pins this weekend when I'm bored :p
(Yes pins are bent. I was careless with it becasue it was dead)

1025 sounds right for the possible max on my 2001 T-bird 900 before getting "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD when gaming. 1050 was guaranteed to cause a "STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD.

You're lucky to even get 1.0 when the stock clock is lower than mine. There's no way my T-bird could do 1100! It did POST, but I would get OS errors before it could even complete OS boot, if it even got that far..... IIRC, it caused a BIOS error and went to BIOS recovery mode.....

Hehe, it was fun to OC it. It still runs, but only at ~1010 Mhz now. :shrug:
Fun little rig to have a round I suppose.

My ONLY rig has died. Just now, I had a complete lock up.

Turns out there is a melted pin in the ATX connector.
It appears mining has claimed it's first victim for me, and of course it's my motherboard.

View attachment 142361

I'm PRAYING that my CPU & RAM are okay, as I can't afford a new CPU and RAM.
I'll be buying a new Z77 :thup: motherboard tomorrow, so I hope that my HDD's are going to be supported as they are still in RAID 0.

Thank god I made a new system image just last week.

It sound's cheesy, but if you can donate some BTC I'd appreciate it.
(Thank god my address is set up with blockchain.info too!)

I would just fix the connector and make sure it's in correctly..... That's not common on 775 and later.
That was reportedly common when processors ran off the +5V line.

RIP, you served me well:
Asus P5K Premium Motherboard:
*Failing memory controller, can only use 2 ram slots now.
*Failed PCI-E slot 0 last night, now using PCI-E slot 1

New build parts tomorrow!

I don't like that! Sounds like bad solder joints.

Let's talk about how much damage have occured since you took up the hobby of mining!!

here's my count.

Burnt GPU:

7970 Ghz XFX: 6mths after: lost signal, never figured what went down, but GPU dead.
R9280X Sapphire: 1mth only: Burnt Voltage regulator, I will attach a picture here.

View attachment 138097

this is after some cleaning, there was a POP then burnt smell, and I immediately know it was my GPU. took it out and saw burnt marks.

what's yours?

I can't tell if it's the SMD or the radial poly cap.....

Back