• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining Damage. Pics welcomed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
uh oh.
something in my pc just went pop, and things smell real bad.
the computer kept running, but mining numbers on one of the cards went down approx 50%
shut the comp off, and hopefully have time to do something about it tomorrow.

Now that I have it all apart, I can't find anything that looks, or smells funny. Both cards look just fine, now I'm really confused. Can't see anything on the motherboard that looks like it popped either...

Now that I have it all apart, I can't find anything that looks, or smells funny. Both cards look just fine, now I'm really confused. Can't see anything on the motherboard that looks like it popped either...

PSU maybe?

PSU maybe?

Psu seems normal too? Literally took everything out of the rig looking for something, can't find anything that looks out of place. Gonna boot it back up once I find is reconstructing it, hopefully it all just works normally.

I had my x79 extreme 6 and some ram die tonight. I just put the ram in a couple days ago to move my 4gb sticks to another machine. I put in 8 x 2Gb sticks. It has been running nonstop until a little while ago- cpu mining and 2 290x mining. I was copying some files to a usb drive, then it made a funny noise from the speaker and shut off. I don't know if there was a dog hair or dust in the ram socket, but it burned a few pins on one ram stick. Swapped out to an unused single stick of ram and no boot. Does anyone know if asrock will warranty by serial?
Who thinks the cpu is dead? At least cpu should be warrantied if it is dead, but I gotta wait until I get a board to test it.
I have been on the fence about ordering a rampage black. I guess it is an easy decision now.

I had my x79 extreme 6 and some ram die tonight. I just put the ram in a couple days ago to move my 4gb sticks to another machine. I put in 8 x 2Gb sticks. It has been running nonstop until a little while ago- cpu mining and 2 290x mining. I was copying some files to a usb drive, then it made a funny noise from the speaker and shut off. I don't know if there was a dog hair or dust in the ram socket, but it burned a few pins on one ram stick. Swapped out to an unused single stick of ram and no boot. Does anyone know if asrock will warranty by serial?
Who thinks the cpu is dead? At least cpu should be warrantied if it is dead, but I gotta wait until I get a board to test it.
I have been on the fence about ordering a rampage black. I guess it is an easy decision now.

They might : http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

and TBH, I think the CPU would be fine, but you'd have to test that somehow...

my first failure :( but i think its bc previous owner mined on the card and didnt bother to tells :)) oh well no biggie, its not the card, the fans seized up on my r6950 twin frozr, first one then the 2nd, this is how it looked 2 days ago:
P1012185.jpg

this is how it looks now, very getto, but temps are better :D
P1012203.jpg

i have to say the twinfrozr does have a solid sink, its better than the asus card next to it (note the top fan is for both cards, the msi is fine without it, but the asus overheats being in the background with little access to fresh air), so long run these cards are still pretty good, just wish msi would invest more in fans, this is not my first issue with msi fans and ive heard others complain about their particular fans too

This is much better than stock fans anyways. I had one that died, I sent it in for rma that took 2 months.
I have a couple cards that run too hot even with a working stock fan. I put a decent fan on the front of them to help them mine like they should.

Did you go whole hog and replace the TIM and pads as well? I'd sure be tempted at that point.

Did you go whole hog and replace the TIM and pads as well? I'd sure be tempted at that point.

oh I did that before they failed :) I tend to do that on all cards, TIM that is, the pads .. well there are no pads :D

Last night it got quiet(er) in the computer room.
BAMT rig with 4 GPU's was completely off.
Panic mode ensues, did I lose an expensive power supply? Did the mobo die?

No, my Kill-A-Watt failed and stopped passing power thru. No smoke, no visible damage, just dead :(

I had one rig plugged into a power strip temporarily. It started to smoke and burn, then tripped the breaker on the power strip. It melted around where the plug goes in.

These rigs draw a bit more juice than you average light or even your usual computer...

I had one rig plugged into a power strip temporarily. It started to smoke and burn, then tripped the breaker on the power strip. It melted around where the plug goes in.

These rigs draw a bit more juice than you average light or even your usual computer...

Apparently so...

Is the rig okay?

Last night it got quiet(er) in the computer room.
BAMT rig with 4 GPU's was completely off.
Panic mode ensues, did I lose an expensive power supply? Did the mobo die?

No, my Kill-A-Watt failed and stopped passing power thru. No smoke, no visible damage, just dead :(

good thing nothing else was dead.

i had another 7970 xfx go the same way as the last one did, no power, try to powercycle, then poof, magic electric smoke, so i guess its RMA time for that one as well,only 3 months in.

Dual-X fans suck...

Attachments

• 280x 1.jpg
    280x 1.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 233
  • 280x 2.jpg
    280x 2.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 234
Yeah, I had to send one of my 7970s in for RMA because of one of the fans dying. The other 7970 won't spin one of the fans unless you set it for over 75%.

As much as hardware failures suck, and they do well and truly suck, I love seeing all the creative solutions you guys have for bad fans. Original fan dies, just zip tie a few larger replacement fans on there!

Reminds me of why I stopped buying motherboards with fans on the north or south bridge chips years ago. Those little stinkers ALWAYS died.

Back