• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mining rigs- sufficient psus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi folks

Been using the nicehash and other calculators. Seems like mining is still profitable (if not...please let me know)

Running 3xgtx680's for a few days, after electricity, seems like they're generating ~$1.80/day in profit. Thinking of putting together 3 additional mining setups...2 with existing cards, the 3rd with some gtx1060's (those seem the best price-performance mining cards atm) but have a few questions before pulling the trigger.

Here's what I'm thinking:
- Rig 1: 3x680's. Figure it's profitable so will just let it run.
- Rig 2: gtx 980 + gtx 960. Will use an existing mobo/ram/case. Need psu.
- Rig 3: 3x hd7970. Need psu.
- Rig 4: asrock h110 btc, cheapo cpu, 6x gtx1060. Build from scratch so need all parts. If my calculations are correct, this system will pay for itself in 8-9 months.

So...my questions:
- Is mining indeed still profitable? Think so but have read others saying no.
- What's the minimum psu wattage to support rigs 2-4? Would like a little room for so could add additional cards to Rig 4. The cards for rigs 2-3 max out those mobo pci-e slots so no need for expansion on those. Specific psu recommendations definitely welcome.
- For the asrock board...the pci-e slots are very tight together. What part do people use that plugs in the board's pci-e slots and allows plugging in a videocard to an external slot or something?

Tia for your thoughts, tips, etc!

Somehow I have my doubts on the GTX 680's being profitable. Mainly because of my experience with my GTX 780 Ti, where it varies between -0.16 and +.30 per day after electricity costs (most of the time during the past week or two it has been a negative cash-flow for this card) (right now it's saying $0.91/Day in NiceHash Miner Legacy, with a $0.66/Day electricity cost, and I just fired it up to check that). Well it was showing $0.91/Day, now it's showing $0.38/Day, ouch.

What is your electricity cost? And what is the estimated USD/Day per card on the GTX 680's in NHML (or whatever miner you're running)?

Also, you owe me a response to one or two messages I've sent you by the way.

Hola TT!

The 3 680's are showing $1.27/day in nicehash legacy. Electricity is running 0.155/KWH. Profit works out to about $20/month.

Am using this calculator (the 3x 680 showing in nicehash= 1x 980 showing in the calculator)
https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-gtx-980?e=0.155&currency=USD

PS- Yeah...on-going apologies :/ Still haven't made time to test and id busted stuff to send for your touch :/ Will reply in the am.

Any thoughts on the right psus? Am thinking a 750-850 watt is good for rig# 2. A 1000 for rig#3.

Think a single 1200 watt could drive rig#4 or would I need to go with 2x 850's or so?

Given BTC are now over $6k, now wondering whether the better route would be an asic miner? Will open a new thread :/

Hola TT!

The 3 680's are showing $1.27/day in nicehash legacy. Electricity is running 0.155/KWH. Profit works out to about $20/month.

Am using this calculator (the 3x 680 showing in nicehash= 1x 980 showing in the calculator)
https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-gtx-980?e=0.155¤cy=USD

PS- Yeah...on-going apologies :/ Still haven't made time to test and id busted stuff to send for your touch :/ Will reply in the am.

Sorry, but that's looking decidedly not profitable. Going by the estimated power draw of 200W per card (according to my research online, for a total of 600W for all three at max load (not counting other system components/devices) I'm showing $2.16 USD/Day in power costs at $0.15/KWH. Basically the power cost is roughly a dollar more than what you can mine per day with them.

Any thoughts on the right psus? Am thinking a 750-850 watt is good for rig# 2. A 1000 for rig#3.

Think a single 1200 watt could drive rig#4 or would I need to go with 2x 850's or so?

Given BTC are now over $6k, now wondering whether the better route would be an asic miner? Will open a new thread :/

On rig #2 I think you could run it on a 650-700W unit. I ran 2x 780 Ti's (250W each) in a system in SLI and my max draw from the wall was 575W with a 650W PSU (Corsair RM650i) running the system, and those draw more power than a 980 or 960.

On rig #3 it's looking like 200W per card based upon my research so far. Probably need an 800-850W PSU minimum. May want to wait on others to chime in though, as I'm admittedly no expert on AMD cards and what PSU's are best for mining with multi-card systems. More of a benchmarker and gamer.

Last edited:
hmmm...then why do all the calculators show it as being profitable even at $0.155/KWH? I've got to be missing something pretty basic. :(

Guess the one thing to add is that I'm running the cards at 75% power (so ~150watts)

hmmm...then why do all the calculators show it as being profitable even at $0.155/KWH? I've got to be missing something pretty basic. :(

Guess the one thing to add is that I'm running the cards at 75% power (so ~150watts)

My best guess is that when you were doing the calculations you may have only put in the power draw for one card rather than all three. I could easily see myself or another doing that, so it seems plausible.

At 450 Watts it's more like $1.62 in power costs per day, which isn't as bad.

Also, I just redid my initial calculations for it, as I somehow put in the wrong wattage the first time (I punched in 700W when it was supposed to be 600W, don't know how I did that or where I came up with 700W). It's actually $2.16/day and not $2.52/day in electrical costs for that system as I initially reported.

https://www.nicehash.com/profitabil...25=0.65&algo26=8.8&algo27=0&algo28=0&algo29=0

Last edited:
Back