• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small WC loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3divulpis

I'm pretty new to the WC scene, so far I've only messed with AIO setups for CPU's. I'm planning to put a custom loop into my current build later this year, which is being built into a Silverstone Sugo SG05. The loop will be cooling an i3-4330 and a GTX 660Ti FTW (GTX680 ref). I'm not planning to OC much as I'm pretty satisfied with current performance, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little overhead for the GPU. I know I'm not going to get a whole lot of extra performance out of the i3, but I've been able to up the Base Clock a little, might play with that.
The main purpose of the loop will be to minimize noise. It's already pretty quiet, but I can tell the fans ramp up a little when I push them now, and will do so even more once they're all installed in the case (open air for right now).

These are the parts I'm considering:
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
Heatkiller GPU-X^3 GTX 680 reference
Nexxxos Monsta 120mm

The rad is what I'm curious about. It looks to be pretty huge with a lot of surface area. I'm guessing that it has around the surface area of a standard 240mm rad, just for the fact that it looks to be twice as thick as most of the 120mm rads I've seen around.
considering that I'm not planning to push my hardware very much, would this be enough to cool the 660Ti and the i3 to close to ambient?
More importantly, would the heat generated by the 660Ti be removed fast enough to not effect the i3 very much? Since the i3 is a max 54W cpu, and it doesn't really get very hot anyway I'm not terribly concerned, but more curious than anything.
The rad will be fed by a PWM modded Gentle Typhoon.

I am not sure if I would go water cooling in your case. Not sure how loud that setup would be. Don't know how loud GTX 660 Ti's get. Add pump and fan noise and it might surpass your existing setup. That's if the GPU isn't loud. That is a 120.1 80mm rad. Add 1 or 2 fans and you're pushing anywhere from 105mm to 130mm of needed space for it. The 240 will have more heat surface hands down.

Also, isn't that CPU fixed at its stock speed? I thought you'd need a K version to OC only.

If you're still really serious about water cooling, I'd advise to take your time and read up our water cooling stickies. You'll than be able to figure out how much heat surface you'll need for your setup and what maintenance it will require.

I'll take that into consideration. I've used the Sugo SG05 before and while it's not the worst case for accoustics, it's definitely a little on the cramped side. That said, I'll definitely be going air for now as the WC loop is several months away. I've already spent more than I should have on this project, gotta take it easy on the wallet! I'll keep browsing around the stickies though to get a better idea of what I'll need if I end up going full water. Thanks for the reply!

Back