• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MP3 players

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So one of the buttons failed on my Sansa Clip+. Even though it's still useable as a device, I figured it's time to start looking for a new one. I tended to stick with Sansa MP3 players in the past because I thought they had decent features and a refurb could be picked up cheap. I'm just not crazy about the newer ones. I used a Fuze+ before the Clip+ and I thought it felt cheap, and I wasn't too crazy about the capacitive buttons.

The things I'm looking for:
-Physical buttons are a plus, as I like being able to change songs/volume without looking at the device.
-Decent battery life
-Drag and drop file support (no need to go through some random MP3 management software)
-At least 4GB storage, which is probably the standard minimum for smaller MP3 players these days, I guess. If it does video playback, a MicroSD card slot is a plus. Video playback isn't necessary though.
-Decent sound quality

The sound quality, buttons and battery life are probably the bigger ones, as they are the main reasons I use a separate player over my Galaxy S3 (yeah, with a decent set of earbuds I actually did think the Clip+ I picked up for $28 new sounds better than what once was Samsungs flagship phone).

I remember hearing Cowon was good. Is that still true?

Last edited:
Could get an Android phone and use it off-network.
It should meet all the requirements, and could come in pretty low cost used.

Past that, I'm out of my realm :)

I feel that would be classified as "random MP3 management software"

Actually for that I was talking about stuff like Itunes, I used rockbox on my clip+ :D

And getting an Android phone seems a bit overkill. Just seems like carrying a second phone for MP3s seems...meh. Was looking for something in the Clip+/last gen Fuze size range.

Actually for that I was talking about stuff like Itunes, I used rockbox on my clip+ :D

Oh, okay. I guess I thought that was more complicated than it is.
Like I say, getting out of my realm here lol.

I still use my Cowon J3 which replacement my broken S9... Sadly they never did come up with a true successor after that.

I have the Clip+ as well with rock box. Used for my old work for music. Great little player. Grab another Haha. :p.

All of cowons new stuff is android. Which I find annoying. I don't need another android device. I have a Nexus 4. I just need a music player.

Check out anythingbutipod for some possible alternatives. Though they recommend the sansa clip as one anyway... Lol

I still use my Cowon J3 which replacement my broken S9... Sadly they never did come up with a true successor after that.

I have the Clip+ as well with rock box. Used for my old work for music. Great little player. Grab another Haha. :p.

All of cowons new stuff is android. Which I find annoying. I don't need another android device. I have a Nexus 4. I just need a music player.

Check out anythingbutipod for some possible alternatives. Though they recommend the sansa clip as one anyway... Lol

I wouldn't mind another clip, just figured after a year and a half I'll be open to something different. Was looking for last gen Fuzes since that had exactly what I was looking for, but they stopped making them and I guess I wasn't the only one that liked them, as even some of the decent condition used ones are $75-$100 :( I'll look around that site though, thanks.

They still make MP3 players? ;)

I just use my PSP3000...
Hrmmmm... Lot's of Sansa Clip+ on Amazon nothing really else standing out to me....

freak, I haven't bought one in a long time but I have two creative labs mp3 players, one is a dinosaur, creative labs nomad 40gig hard drive the other is an older Zen. The have both been working for years without a hitch. I don't know if they have the features you are looking for but check them out.

They still make MP3 players? ;)

I just use my PSP3000...
Hrmmmm... Lot's of Sansa Clip+ on Amazon nothing really else standing out to me....

Yeah, I get that a lot :D I just like having a basic MP3 player so I don't have to drain my phones battery or having to keep locking/unlocking it, having something smaller so I don't have to fish a larger phone/PMP out, etc.

freak, I haven't bought one in a long time but I have two creative labs mp3 players, one is a dinosaur, creative labs nomad 40gig hard drive the other is an older Zen. The have both been working for years without a hitch. I don't know if they have the features you are looking for but check them out.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Several of the newer ones have the same capacitive buttons I didn't like on the Fuze+ or a full on touch screen, but I'm starting to realize that's probably the trend these days. :(

Heck, I'd just get another Snsa Clip+ 8GB. They've got factory recertified ones for $38 after shipping. Throw in a 2-year Square Trade Protection Plan deal, and you total ~$45 for a $50 MP3 player, but also get an extended warranty.

I added a 32GB microSD for 40GB total storage.

I may just end up going with another one, but I just saw another new 4GB one for the same price I payed for my current one ($28) somewhere, I think Amazon. I don't usually have more than 2-3GB of music on it. The only times I needed more were on players that could handle video and I tossed some .mp4s on them.

Well thanks everyone. Went with a Clip Zip. All I liked about the clip+ (physical buttons, small, etc.) plus a full color screen. Was only ~$1.50 more than a new clip+ on Amazon. And I don't have to give up rockbox support :D

Back