• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greg2601

I am running my I7-4770K at 4.5GHz and the vcore on auto is at a high of 1.452. I know this is a high voltage, but my Swiftech system is keeping it cool at about 70°C running 10 tasks in SETI. I have also de-lidded the CPU which greatly helped the temps. Is this voltage going to be too much or should I just worry about HEAT??????

That is well beyond the voltage i would be comfortable with even on water. I dont consider my 4670k to be a good clocker and it still only takes me 1.24 for 4.5. But if you wont be heartbroken when it dies, then just keep the temps in check and it will live as long as it lives. Sadly you cant be any more precise than that.

That voltage is with all cores at 100%. It goes way down when I am just using it normally. I have some info that says haswell can take 1.45 on AIR. If it dies I will just have to get another chip; hopefully better. I have 5 other computers up here I can use till I get the new chip.
Thanks for the feedback
Greg

1.45v is a lot for 24/7. I wouldn't do that personally...

Get it off auto and overclock it the 'right' way. You shouldn't need close to that voltage for 4.5ghz.

I have turned the clocks back to 4.3GHz and it still uses that much voltage. I capped the voltage at 1.3 for a try at 4.3GHz and BSOD. It seems to run just fine at this voltage and no BSOD's. As long as it stays cool I am going to keep it here. By the way I am using CPU-Z and Hardware Info for checking the voltage. Same in both.
Thanks

Agreed with the others, that voltage is far too high for 24/7 usage. I would be setting a limit around 1.25-1.3v and seeing what you can get from there.

Also, please don't mark your items as [FrontPage] when you are creating your threads, they aren't news stories that go on the front page of the website ;)

I have removed the Front Page tag... I had no idea a regular user could even set that...

duplicate threads too... sheesh (merged). :p

Last edited:
I have tried to lower the voltages and all I get is BSOD's. I have not had a BSOD since letting the system handle the voltage. I even tried 4.3GHz with 1.3vcore and it BSOD. I am going to let it run till it don't run no more.
When it is not running 10 tasks in SETI the voltage is about 1.0.
Thanks

Sorry, didn't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
AUTO will overvolt in favor of stability so chances are, when done right, you can lower the vcore.

Also, so long as you know that chip at those voltages it will die sooner than later... keep on using it. I wish I had that much discretionary income to recklessly run my processors!!

There is a huge gap between 1.3v and 1.45v. That chip will likely not last long 1.45v, and is probably way more than it needs to run at 4.5 GHz. But hey, its your CPU.

Greg why don't you take time to read and look at the Haswell Guide in ED's Sig and set that CPU up the proper way, sorry but it seems a huge waste to me just to burn it out my friend!! :eh?: :-/

It would take less than a day to set that up and test and be fully stable @ 4.4 or 4.5! :attn:

Well the choice is yours Greg! :shrug:

AJ.

I have tried everything with this chip and it just seems to want voltage. I have been working on overclocking this chip for 8 to 10 months. 3 Cooling systems, de-lidding, and reading and trying everything anybody has had to say. Even spent 1 whole day at the INTEL site reading all their material. I went back to the F3 BIOS and so far at 1.35 it seems stable. I don't know why but this older BIOS seems to suit this chip better. I also know it makes no sense. Somehow this BIOS version must handle the voltages differently. It has totally got me baffled.

That makes complete sense actually. Some BIOS are just better than others at overclocking and stability.

With SETI not running the temps run about 35°C; with SETI 65°C. I thought a newer BIOS would be better. Luckily I kept all my old BIOS's.

Thanks to everyone.

Back