• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I should say when I am talking about failing that's when benching with Dice and getting that last 50-100mhz that you know the cpu can do but can't get there-So far with the best buy TIM if I use a little more or if a little less It always performs the same and hit my max clocks every time and who knows it could be a total fail on LN2 it could start to crack or stop performing altogether but for now it's one less thing I have to think about when benching plus if i run out it's 5 mins down the road :)

We should start list of TIM not to use when going cold I haven't test a lot but Antec formula7 does not work when cold

I use Tuniq TX-2 for GPU's and Gelid Extreme on CPU's

Both have preformed well under cold , both I can highly recommend

jiccman gave me some of that new Grizzly stuff

it's a mess IMO

Very nice Opty.
You seen to have lots of old stuff there, check out the team cup thread there may be something right up your alley.

Very nice Opty.
You seen to have lots of old stuff there, check out the team cup thread there may be something right up your alley.
I have been lurking around the team cup since it started thing is I don't have most of that hardware anymore, I just started "re-stocking" as it were. Plan on helping as much as I can but I can make no promises as funds are tight right now. I picked those CUSL2's up for a song otherwise................

It seems every time I say I can compete in a HWBOT competition I suffer catastrophic hardware failures too so I'll keep it as we'll see.

Science Always Prevails

After breaking down all the facts, examining ingredients and countless hours of testing....
I have come up with the best tim application method:

IMG_0916.JPG

@Blaylock - for giving me the purple pill and selling me the t-shirt
@OG - who never stopped asking, "Why don't you just get a bench..."
Thanks guys!!!!

IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG

Cheers

Finally found some ram. Haven't had a chance to test it though.

Attachments

• 1441033403447.jpg
    1441033403447.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 106
Bought a system untested from someone that didn't know what it was or how to test it, for under $140. I guess someone gave them this system and they then had no use for it. The board, heatsink, and memory were a little dusty, but otherwise in good condition (and a few fingerprints on the heatsink).

Intel Core i7 3770K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3-1600MHz memory
Noctua NH-D14 heatsink with Intel mounting hardware and the stock 120mm and 140mm fans

You can imagine my surprise when I found it actually had the top-of-the-line LGA1155 Ivy Bridge i7 in it. Since the seller had no idea what CPU was in it, I figured it would be something older like an i5 2500K or i7 2600K. But knowing it had a high-end heatsink for cooling, I figured it probably wouldn't be a Celeron or a Pentium under there, because who would buy a low-end CPU and put a high-end heatsink on top of it?

Looks like I scored a home run with this deal.

Last edited:
But knowing it had a high-end heatsink for cooling, I figured it probably wouldn't be a Celeron or a Pentium under there, because who would buy a low-end CPU and put a high-end heatsink on top of it?

Would that NH-D14 even fit on a MB using those old CPU's?

Would that NH-D14 even fit on a MB using those old CPU's?

Intel made Celeron and Pentium processors in the LGA1155 socket.

The heatsink works on LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155, and LGA1150 in its stock configuration without any modifications.

got some new ram sticks
IMG_20150905_115757.jpg
IMG_20150905_114637.jpg
and another s775 board
IMG_20150905_115359.jpg
a core 2 quad q6600
IMG_20150905_115741.jpg
and heres an e8400 on some board with onboard vga, hope it will finish that benchmark!
IMG_20150905_114649.jpg

Now that I got a spare board, and a few spare CPUs, a CPU pot is probably next on the shopping list, see if I can take things cold, maybe even kill some cheap hardware! Didn't take a pic of it, but also got a second q6600. So now I have 2x q6600, 2x e8400, and 1x qx9650.

Last edited:
Back