• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to take the plunge in custom loop and need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alright updated list
top mount radhttp://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...s_GT_Stealth_240_X-Flow_Radiator_-_Black.html
front mount rad http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...s_GTX_120_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s159
added the silver kill coil and dead water as suggested also added 2x 45 degree fitting for my water block so i dont have such an abrupt turn in the tubing.

I plan on ordering tommorow blew my budget out of the water but no point in having the new cpu and not being able to use it.

Last edited:
You can save a buck or two and skip the dead water. Silver alone will do just fine. No need to swat the bugs twice....as long as everything is cleaned well beforehand, the silver will keep it that way all by itself.

Received confirmation from frozen CPU and ncix this morning so as long as customs doesn't hold up my cooling components should be operational next weekend.

alright updated list
top mount radhttp://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...s_GT_Stealth_240_X-Flow_Radiator_-_Black.html
front mount rad http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...s_GTX_120_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s159
added the silver kill coil and dead water as suggested also added 2x 45 degree fitting for my water block so i dont have such an abrupt turn in the tubing.

I plan on ordering tommorow blew my budget out of the water but no point in having the new cpu and not being able to use it.

Welcome to the Water Cooling club. Everthing you ordered will make a great Loop. I always start with a budget but end up always going over. if your going to do water than get the parts to maximize the benefits of your investment.

Thanks C_D will check it out I have a fairly good idea of how to OC my new CPU you actually helped me a ton with my fx6300 back in January

Have been reading others wc builds in my case and it looks like I will need to cut the bottom plate out of the 5.25 drive cage no biggie though as this will give me the option of front mounting a 120.2 rad later on if I need or want some extra cooling. Also thinking of replacing my mesh side panel with an acrylic one so I can see all my time and hard earned money (also have a need to tinker on my rig I haven't had a whole bunch of time the past few months and forgot how addicting it is lol)

I can't wait to start building it! But while I'm still waiting on parts I had a question.

I am planning on plumbing my loop from the pump through the front 120.1 rad to the block then up to the top 240 and back to the reservoir. Will this plumbing setup work or is there another route that would perform better?

I can't wait to start building it! But while I'm still waiting on parts I had a question.

I am planning on plumbing my loop from the pump through the front 120.1 rad to the block then up to the top 240 and back to the reservoir. Will this plumbing setup work or is there another route that would perform better?

As long as the reservoir is naturally feeding the pump (priming), the rest won't matter. Just go for the shortest and cleanest look after the pump.

The pump and res are a combo 5.25 unit so should be no problem there I guess I will bolt the rads and block in and see what plumbing configuration would be the cleanest looking. On a side note starting case mods tonight after work as long as I can find the acrylic I need for side window in my one horse town

Res to pump or combo is all that is important. Some people think the rads will remove 5c out of the water temps.... .5c is more like it. The water spends very little time in any part as long as your flow is sufficient.

I have some air in my CPU res. I need to bleed it out, I'm tired of hearing it. My GPU loop is down a little bit of water too. Like Jack mentioned before, it can take awhile to get all of the air out.

Will probably need guidance on bleeding my system once it's installed. I got my 5.25 bottom plate hacked out and just re routing some cables as I type. My cpu showed up today and I'm very tempted to pop it in and see what the temps are like with the h80 on stock settings but forcing myself to wait until I have proper cooling in place (it's killing me looking at the cpu sitting on my desk still wrapped up lol).

On a side note I won't be reinstalling my optical drive have zero use for it since I installed windows. I am looking for a single 5.25 fan controller to handle up to 6 fans any suggestions? Keep in mind I already spent $200 more on the loop than originally planned so price is important.

Will probably need guidance on bleeding my system once it's installed. I got my 5.25 bottom plate hacked out and just re routing some cables as I type. My cpu showed up today and I'm very tempted to pop it in and see what the temps are like with the h80 on stock settings but forcing myself to wait until I have proper cooling in place (it's killing me looking at the cpu sitting on my desk still wrapped up lol).

I can be impatient as well. I know the feeling you're going through.

As for bleeding, on the Maelstrom's it can be a pain to prime the pump since its a shallow reservoir, so what you'll have to do is bump the pump. First fill her up till she's almost topped off. Turn on the pump for a few seconds, till the water almost seems gone so the pump doesn't run dry than you'll want it turned off. Rinse and repeat. Don't be alarmed and be careful when turning it off because the liquid will raise up in the reservoir once the fluid settles down. Have some cloth on standby just in case. Once you know you can't bump the pump and fill since it has a good amount of water in it, turn on the pump and let the loop run. While its running you'll than want to almost top off the reservoir and seal it tight. Make sure the rubber seal is in place because it can come out of its groove before tightening. Than you should be good to go. It will eventually work out the bubbles so you'll see bit less fluid over time which is normal.

On a side note I won't be reinstalling my optical drive have zero use for it since I installed windows. I am looking for a single 5.25 fan controller to handle up to 6 fans any suggestions? Keep in mind I already spent $200 more on the loop than originally planned so price is important.

I just use a USB to install windows which is much faster and everything else is downloaded.

Are you using analog or PWM fans?

I have both Pwm and analog fans I'm going to try the swif tech Pwm splitter and see if I can get the fans to run off the mobo if I can't get the rad fans to run off the bios how I want will be controlling them and the case fans off the fan controller I want to be able to boot up on stock clocks and be relatively silent for watching movies/ surfing the net but then be able to kick everything into high gear for gaming etc.

CD/DVD optical drives are pretty much obsolete now. With high speed internet, you can download most software. I have a Blue Ray burner installed just in case, besides I had the room. My company HP laptop has no optical drive at all.

Installing from USB drives is faster, but if you figure the time it takes to diskpart and format the USB drive, depending on the size, and copying the Windows files to it, it may be a draw with just installing it from a DVD drive.

Just tested one of my pwm fans the scythe slipstream i posted earlier in this thread, bios control seems to work awesome quiet as a whisper until i start running p95 set threshold to 58C and holy **** does that fan move alot of air at 100% and only slightly louder than the H80 fans at full blast. Hopefully the swiftech splitter works just as good for the rest of them.

Just tested one of my pwm fans the scythe slipstream i posted earlier in this thread, bios control seems to work awesome quiet as a whisper until i start running p95 set threshold to 58C and holy **** does that fan move alot of air at 100% and only slightly louder than the H80 fans at full blast. Hopefully the swiftech splitter works just as good for the rest of them.

Should work no problem via BIOS and MB software. Have the windows software control all of them via the hub connected to the one PWM CPU header.

I hate customs! But on a positive note my cooling components have finally arrived just need to go pick them up at the courier. Will start posting pics over the next few days. It feels like I'm 5 and it's Christmas morning lol

Back