• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another dead motherboard? (X99 Formula OC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

So, yesterday I received my new ASRock motherboard and this morning I installed it since I had a bit of time.

Press the power button and everything starts, but the screen is black. What I notice is also that the DrDebug (the POST codes led) is off.

So, I turn off and check a bit the cables. Turn it on again and the situation is the same. Black screen and DrDebug off.

So, I try to put the other GPU. Exactly the same as before, but now after 5s the computer turns off.

Now all the fans and the pump spin for 2 seconds and then the computer turns off.

I will try during the weekend to reseat the cooler, try the other PSU, etc.. But that DrDebug not turning on looks weird to me....

Build it on the motherboard box, make sure you're not shorting.

Build it on the motherboard box, make sure you're not shorting.

Yep, it's also what I will try. I wanted to know from other owners if the Dr Debug is supposed to light up immediately as in other mobos. I'm really losing hoap with this X99 build... :(

Regarding shorting, I noticed that the motherboard has an additional hole but I don't have an a additional motherboard stand...

Yep the debug code should come on as well as backlighting on the buttons

If you get it going let me know, have a BIOS you may be interested in that is not on the site

Hard to believe two in a row, thinking you either have the worst luck ever or something else is going on

if it were the card or memory you would get lights, pointing to Mobo or CPU ?

This is how my asrock extreme9 acts when I have a cpu issue or have bent pins.

Yep the debug code should come on as well as backlighting on the buttons

If you get it going let me know, have a BIOS you may be interested in that is not on the site

Hard to believe two in a row, thinking you either have the worst luck ever or something else is going on

if it were the card or memory you would get lights, pointing to Mobo or CPU ?

No backlight in the buttons.

Eventually I had some spare time. Tried outside the box, reseating both CPU and cooler, different PSU, etc.. and nothing. The weird stuff is that initially it "worked" for one minute and now the fans just spin for few seconds. I even plugged the PSU in anothet socket.

Honestly I don't know what is happening. Maybe the one killed also the CPU. Or the cooler can create problems?

(Regarding two in a row, I read that someone had two X99 Deluxe dying in a row)

This is how my asrock extreme9 acts when I have a cpu issue or have bent pins.

My sight is not very good, but I see no bent pins. Guess it is time to RMA the CPU, too. I should have returned it with the first mobo...

Did you try one stick of memory one at a time ?

just to make sure it is not the kit ?

when hitting the power watch for a very small light by the power connector to blink

that showing you a mem or CPU problem

Try pulling the video cards just to see if you get the lights before powering on.

Try pulling the video cards just to see if you get the lights before powering on.

Already tried with:
- One ram (different stick, different slot), no GPU
- One ram, GPU (two diferent)
- no ram and no GPU ( don't expect to boot, but it should tell me something)

All with both BIOSes

Man, hope it is not the CPU

I'm starting to think that the Asus killed the CPU. Particularly given caddi comment

Sorry guys for my rants, but this upgrade was a big one for me, both in monetary and time terms. I was so happy when it was working and I was able to run my analysis in less than 30 min insteas of one hour. And now I'm so frustrated.....

This type of stuff happens

it is all good, once you get everything back you will be in good shape with a beastly platform

it is frustrating, have been here many times but it always works out

Only board with connected power cables should give you 00 code ( no CPU or anything else ). 00 = can't see CPU or other similar error but mobo is actually looking for devices. Memory check is later, the same as gfx card. No memory = 55. There is also a chance that short in the CPU is killing mobos but there should be some OCP/OVP.

So, the CPU can kill the mobo? because I was thinking if it is worth to return this new ASRock or wait for the new CPU...

Try without anything except the 24-pin like Woomack mentioned, that'll give you an idea if the board is good or not.

If CPU was dead but mobo was fine then you would see any lights on the board and diagnostic leds would show something. In this case try to run the mobo without CPU or anything else like gfx card or memory. Only mobo+power cables and don't connect power/reset buttons. If there will be still no LEDs then I would return mobo and CPU.
If there will be something like 00 or anything similar then I would RMA the CPU. If both are from the same store then it's still good to return both as they can check it on other parts or simply send to manufacturers to check it there.

Thanks a lot guys, you are all so nice even if my questions are trivial. :grouphug:

And I will try this when I get home.

If CPU was dead but mobo was fine then you would see any lights on the board and diagnostic leds would show something. In this case try to run the mobo without CPU or anything else like gfx card or memory. Only mobo+power cables and don't connect power/reset buttons. If there will be still no LEDs then I would return mobo and CPU.
If there will be something like 00 or anything similar then I would RMA the CPU. If both are from the same store then it's still good to return both as they can check it on other parts or simply send to manufacturers to check it there.

Back