• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New Charter Internet Speed, New Bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

So I used to get 30 but now charter has increased its speeds I can get about 55 on a wired connection. However, at my PC I get ~38. I have a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE and a WGR614v10 router.

I've repositioned the wireless adapter as best I can but rarely see anything much over 40. Where do you guys think the bottleneck is? I'm at the other side of the house and if I move the wireless adapter in certain areas my speed can drop right down to ~15.

Last edited:
Time for a router upgrade. With a terrible wireless G adapter in my wife's laptop I get about 26 down, sitting 10-15 feet from the router. The HTPC which is wired to my rt-n16 gets around 66 down.

So, both my devices seem to be 802.11N compatible. Should I be having this issue?

If the model number supplied in the original post is correct, that is a wireless G router. WGxxxx is wireless G, WNxxxx would be wireless N. Anything [wireless] connecting to it will run at wireless G speeds.

Last edited:
After much more investigation it does seem it does have N capability. The issue is poor signal strength. It varies from around 50mbit to a 150mbit connection. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it stays in a good place to get the full new net speed.

Thanks people!

3832863767.png

Back