• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows network printing from W8.1 to W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

My system: Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Printer system: Windows 7 Professional x64
Printer: Canon IP4000

Problem: I can see the printer on my system via the network, and add it to my printer list. When I print something to that printer it gets added to the print queue on my system, then slowly disappears. However, no document is ever generated from the system downstairs. The printer never wakes from sleep. Manually waking the printer does nothing. IE, it never ACTUALLY prints.

Now, Canon doesn't have a W8 driver from this old printer, but the proper drivers are installed on the system the printer is connected to. Is this the issue and the only solution is a new printer, or is there something else at play? It's a very odd sort of problem, I can't figure out how to troubleshoot it exactly. It happens regardless of which program is used to print.

Last edited:
Piggybacked routers. Why didn't I notice this? The computer that the printer is connected to is hooked up to the "main" router. However, that wifi proved sketchy reliability-wise (freebie from ISP, has wireless N), so I hooked an older but very reliable wireless-G router off it. Printer is on the "N" router, my computer is on the "G" router. Apparently Windows networking can't work across those sorts of boundaries. It's not a driver issue at all, just a simple network one.

Back