• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Questions on Fan Modding / Wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

So, once I get my case I am going to have to mod the wires on the fans. The fans are 16x Helix 120s and 3x A14 Noctua Industrial PPC 2000 IP67s.

The cable length is going to be an issue. Some I will need to shorten, others lengthen. Usually I would buy 26 gauge wire, but I plan on using the excess from the fans I shorten. Usually I just solder the wires, heatshrink over the solder, then sleeve the wires and heatshrink the ends. But, it has been a LONG time since I did this.

1) Are there any power concerns I need to worry about?

2) Is there a specific solder I should be using?

3) Anyone have recommendations / comments for heatshrink? I was just going to grab the stuff at Frozencpu. I know usually for three / four fan wires people recommend 1/4 inch heatshrink since 1/8 seems to be a pain during application. I will probably just grab 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 so I have what I need.

4) Same as #3, but for sleeving. I was just going to grab the Bitspower Super Tight Weave in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 so I am covered. 95%, if not more, of the fan wires will be hidden, so I do not think I need some really expensive, sexy weave. Plus, with only 4 small wires I don't think it will bulge through the weave itself.

5) Finally, when mating the wires, I usually just take a 1/4 inch or so section of wire on either side and twist them in the same plane as the wires. According to this video (between 2:30 and 3:30 -
) this guy solders the wires and adds a marine grade heatshrink. I am guessing this is not what Frozencpu sells for the ends of the wires, so what would be the best heatshrink for the area where I connect the wires? I was thinking something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Ancor-304148-...16505815&sr=8-2&keywords=heat+shrink+adhesive in 3/8 inch diameter or 3/16, as it has a 3:1 shrink ratio.

Last edited:
22AWG is the smallest I normally use for chassis wiring, more for mechanical reasons than current handling.

22AWG is the smallest I normally use for chassis wiring, more for mechanical reasons than current handling.

Fair enough, I really was just planning on using the excess wire from the shortened fans for the lengthening process. Would you recommend against this, instead opting for some 22 AWG stuff? I am guessing so, and if so, just standard 22 AWG stuff from the hardware store? I think I have some speaker wire, but it's like 14 gauge.

Yep, those guys.
Best sleeve on the market, IMO.

It seems like they have been gone since some time in Sept., perhaps even before that. So, since I have until the end of the year before I begin, I will keep my eye on them. Do you have a second recommendation just in case they aren't back in business by year's end?

It seems like they have been gone since some time in Sept., perhaps even before that. So, since I have until the end of the year before I begin, I will keep my eye on them. Do you have a second recommendation just in case they aren't back in business by year's end?

After MDPC, Lutro0 is probably the best.

Back