• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wallet Data Somewhere on SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opus1

Hello,
I have misplaced any and all of my bitcoin data. I have pulled all of my SSD's to avoid the possibility of deleting the data with hopes of some day being able to locate the info (if at all possible). I need to get a least one of my pC back up and runing. Is there a specific way that i need to back up all of these drvies to enusre all of the files can be searched?

This is the first step i am sure in a very long proces.

thanks for your help.

Why not plugin the drives and do a search for your wallet file? I believe you also need a keys file (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). Just don't format them. I assume none of the drives have been formatted or anything?

Standard Bitcoin wallet:
%appdata%/bitcoin

Wallet.dat is your wallet.
Simply copy it to your new hard drive/SSD and put it into %appdata%/Bitcoin after you install and run the Bitcoin wallet.
I am not aware of any keyfiles you'd need. Just as long as you know the password to the wallet if it is encrypted. ;)

If you are using Electrum:
Your wallet is in %appdata%/Electrum/Wallets
Usually, it is called "default_wallet"

Again, copy it to the same directory, %appdata%/Electrum/Wallets after you install and run Electrum.
Alternately, just hit Ctrl and O then open the wallet file :)

Last edited:
I have not forammted any of my drives. Your suggested looking for the %appdata%/bitcoin
file. I have tried that and found nothing, yet it should be on one of the drvies. That is why my question was with regards to the best way to backup,save copy or whatever as the wallet data must be somewhere. MAybe i am just not searching correclty!

Please post a list of the folders or a screenshot of your:

C:\%appdata%\roaming\ directory

That is where the wallet applications store their files. If you post it we may be able to find it with you.

Be sure to check show hidden folders/files in Explorer. You might also need to unhide system folders/files.

Thank you for assisting me on this. I can post the screen shots later this evening once I return home from work.

Evening, When I search for %appdata%\roaming I get nothing. Are the % like an asterisk *. (wild cards)? I have unhidden my files and when I enter in the search box C:\%appdata%\roaming I get
"No Items Match Your Search" Shouldn't there be something?

I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong path.

C:\users\<your username>\appdata\roaming is the full path.

That will get you there. Or just type %appdata% and you will get to the root of the appdata folder where you can look inside of roaming.

This is assuming you are booting from the solid state drive. If not, the path will exist but will be a different drive letter, of course.

Evening, When I search for %appdata%\roaming I get nothing. Are the % like an asterisk *. (wild cards)? I have unhidden my files and when I enter in the search box C:\%appdata%\roaming I get
"No Items Match Your Search" Shouldn't there be something?

Opus try this: http://www.farmanager.com/
it will show every folder on your hard, including hidden and system folders, just be careful and dont delete stuff :)

Back