• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 9590 on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gsantana

Registered
well i am building a new pc and want to go with an fx 9590 and was wondering is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 can handle the power of fx 9590 i new its on its compatibility cpu list but wondering is anyone is running an fx 9590 on this board since its highly recommended

the reason i am going to go with fx 9590 is because i love amd over intel and fx 9590 is the most powerful cpu they have because i do not like overclocking i currently have a fx 8350 running fine but this is for my new build ill be adding in a custom water-loop kit from EK with a 360 rad and a 240 rad in the loop along with my gigabyte gtx 970 g1 any thoughts .

It should work fine, that said I find the 9590 to be a waste of a chip. You can OC the 8350 in most cases with really good cooling to the same speed as the 9590. The other issue is that the Fx line is all but dead and it doesn't look like there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Similar to what 'manny' said...

...Rev. 4.0 > Rev. 3.0 > Rev. 1.2 > Rev. 1.1 > Rev. 1.0
If it is not the Rev highlighted above there will certainly be better motherboards.

I notice you say you are going with a custom cooling loop and most likely to some extent that is a good thing since most of the stock FX-9590s are over-volted by AMD for the clueless.

However what "manny" said above is pretty accurate. I run my FX-8350 with the same level of cooling I would feel necessary if I had paid more for an FX-9590 since it runs hot stock. Maybe not as hot as my own FX-8350 clocked equal or beyond the FX-9590 because my FX-8350 runs its' big numbers with ALL the cores pulling their weight in work and that is not so with an FX-9590 run as AMD intended when it will only ever run 5.0Ghz with half its' cores where when I clock my FX-8350 up to 5.0Ghz it will be with ALL the cores enabled and running 5.0Ghz.

From what I have seen users saying on the internet is that their FX-9590 seldom ever goes to 5.0Ghz even on just half the cores because the parameters for the FX-9590 to clock up half the cores to 5.0Ghz are hardly ever met and thus no consistent 5.0Ghz of that cpu.

But to each his own. I have no use of a more expensive AMD dated cpu because i have run 8 core FX's over 2 years already and seen what they can and cannot do.
YMMV.
RGone...ster.

It should work fine, that said I find the 9590 to be a waste of a chip. You can OC the 8350 in most cases with really good cooling to the same speed as the 9590. The other issue is that the Fx line is all but dead and it doesn't look like there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Can? better word IMHO is could or maybe. Not all chips OC the same nothing is garunteed. Especially with a 100$ mobo. Want a better chance try spending twice as much, maybe an extreme 9, sabertooth or crosshair. THey have better CPU voltage VRMs.

Can? better word IMHO is could or maybe. Not all chips OC the same nothing is garunteed. Especially with a 100$ mobo. Want a better chance try spending twice as much, maybe an extreme 9, sabertooth or crosshair. THey have better CPU voltage VRMs.

All that is true but the OP already has a board and an 8350, if they get the loop they intend on getting, why not try to OC the 8350 to 9590 levels. The best part is they don't have to add another CPU and board to the cost. Most 8350s are capable of 4.7 with good cooling.

CPU may be capable but VRM might not

I literally have seen cheap VRMs catch fire when OCing too much.

8+2? May be high quality and not burn up but I doubt it can do 5ghz.

12+2 is best bet for that.
You may want to do some research on that. In general most a board with a higher phase count will be able to provide a chip with a more efficient current but that doesn't mean it will be able to provide more or better. It also depends on the quality of the product, when comparing the higher end boards with higher phase counts it's a moot point in most cases. The UD3 boards are quality boards as well as the Asrock Extreme 9, that said just because the Asrock boards has a 12+2 Vrm phase count doesn't mean it's going to Oc X cpu any higher then the 8+2 board. If that was the case I'd be running an Asrock Extreme 9 board instead of my Asus Crosshair V formula or Asus Sabertooth because their lowly 8+2 Vrm isn't providing my chip with enough current when I'm near near 5.8 Ghz on my chip., which is has been to.

My 8+2 sabertooth can 5.2ghz all day, thats as high as I dare go on air, Im sure I can do more.

And quite a few of those "12+2"'s aren't actually 12, but 6. Do some research.

My 8+2 sabertooth can 5.2ghz all day, thats as high as I dare go on air, Im sure I can do more.

And quite a few of those "12+2"'s aren't actually 12, but 6. Do some research.

Thats a DIGI 8+2 which is why I mentioned a sabertooth.

Poster above I dont need to do my research already have. 12+2s do indeed OC better in most cases especially if they are DIGI as well like most are anyways. Im not saying 8+2 is less quality its just less power phases and is not as good, when I talk about quality I talk about why type of chips they use.

I can attest to running an FX8150 to 4.7GHZ Prime Stable with only a Corsair H100 though I wouldn't list this board at the top of the list for overclocking an 8Core FX chip it is capable of handling a decent OC.

Oh shett...

...Now we got go thru the BS about VRM phases. Phases, mases the VRM could work with two phases if they wanted to buy the components to handle the load and put the things onto a mobo. However it is cheaper to run multiple phases comprised of cheaper and less stressed components than it is to make a couple of phases carry the load. That is nothing but engineering at work.

I have one of the (so-called) Asrock 10+2 phase boards and it won't clock the same cpu with the same cooling and the same ram, 50Mhz higher than my 8+2 Asus CHV board will clock the same cpu. More than or better than is a pretty wide set of descriptions. IF I were going to be given the choice of a 10+2 Asrock EXT9 or an Asus 8+2 CHV-z board, and i had 5 mins to make up my mind...shett shett, hands down the Asus CHV-z with a very very good 8+2VRM circuit.

Yep, I like my phases. But more is definitely better is smoke and mirrors done to lure the un-suspecting into a particular camp. Most of us that help day in and day out in the AMD cpu and motherboard sections have all been thru the fast is good and faster is better with the FX series of processors from their release. We have all put in our time in the trenches of upgrading or boards and cooling to run in the +5.5Ghz range for benching at least. Did a few belly-flops with the cheaper series of motherboards and tweaked a few VRMs off the mobo on the early mobos and upgraded to CHV z and non-z boards and in my case even tried the many phased Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board and many of my overclocking buds run the miserly 8+2 Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 in the +5.5Ghz range for benching on water.

So it is not necessarily how many but how good when it comes to just about anything unless we are counting ounces of gold or stacks of $100.00 bills. Then more is always better.
RGone...ster.

I can attest to the Rev 4 GA-990FXa-UD3 reaching over 5GHz with an 8350 with NO PROBLEMS. In fact when I was running the monthly SPi bench yesterday my chip was at 5GHz for a good 13 hours with no signs of trouble. I dont keep it that high daily because I have no reason to run 5GHz just to play Diablo3 or surf FaceBook. My weak spot is my RAM being slow. Zakaroo you may actually want to research or maybe go off of the actual experience that others have had with that board instead of what you think will happen with it.

Poster above Mandrake, I dont need to do my research already have. 12+2s do indeed OC better in most cases especially if they are DIGI as well like most are anyways. Im not saying 8+2 is less quality its just less power phases and is not as good, when I talk about quality I talk about why type of chips they use.
Please link me the the threads you've read stating the 12+2 OC better in most cases, I'm interested in reading it. I'd also like to read where you read a Gigabyte 990Fxa UD3 will not be able to Oc a Fx8350 to 5.0 or above.

If DIGI VRM with a 12+2 Power Phase count will Oc better in most cases, then I am also interested in why you purchased a CHV formula over the Asrock 990fx Extreme 9 then?

Hey DarkApollo, put this in your signature since the Rev 4 GA-990FXa-UD3 mobo is too many freeken light years ahead of the Rev 3.0 that many in here had and got the heck away from.

Congrats on your overclock man. Looks good. How high of a cpu speed can you run P95 Blend for and have no issues at for at least 2 hours?
RGone...ster.

Congrats on your overclock man. Looks good. How high of a cpu speed can you run P95 Blend for and have no issues at for at least 2 hours?
RGone...ster.

Never did P95 blend. She was happy happy running 5060MHz for 20 runs of IBT at the highest setting 8Gb of ram would allow (one notch below the highest test the program has)..

Yeah I read the reviews of the Rev 3 vs the Rev 4 and that is what made my mind up. It isnt as great as a CH-v but she does the dirty when I ask her to.
Suffice to say I am very happy with it and have no regrets with the purchase.

The VRM on mine get hot but the voltage is very stable with LLC set to its highest +/- .01v over 5GHz and 1.5v. I have never seen it throttle on 8 cores running 5GHz with 1.5v either. I do want to get some water on them though just to keep them cooler, but that is not a major priority since I dont bench a lot and I dont push my rig daily.

Last edited:
The VRM on mine get hot but the voltage is very stable with LLC set to its highest +/- .01v over 5GHz and 1.5v. I have never seen it throttle on 8 cores running 5GHz with 1.5v either. I do want to get some water on them though just to keep them cooler, but that is not a major priority since I dont bench a lot and I dont push my rig daily.
Just get some 40-50 mm fans and mount them on the VRM/Nb heatsinks.

Yes DarkApollo, we do most of our helping and recommending from some 3 years of work with users and what boards have worked for the majority. We had so much hale with users and the Rev 3.0 of the UD3 for sure that there was no way to recommend it. We would pull all our hair out trying to assist them via keyboard and posts.

Bassnut; whom most of us that help in here, know well and he is the only known user that put together a Rev 4.0 UD3 and it for his Dad and not himself so no longer term pushing like he does on his own CHV-z boards. Without validation by a known entity, it is hard to suggest something we don't have and use or actually know someone we trust that does use what we don't have.

So good deal that your are willing to describe your rig in terms that actually have weight instead of "just" saying > my shett runs fast and good. Hehehe. I have seen that more times than I can begin to count. Thank you man.
RGone...ster.

...Now we got go thru the BS about VRM phases. Phases, mases the VRM could work with two phases if they wanted to buy the components to handle the load and put the things onto a mobo. However it is cheaper to run multiple phases comprised of cheaper and less stressed components than it is to make a couple of phases carry the load. That is nothing but engineering at work.

I have one of the (so-called) Asrock 10+2 phase boards and it won't clock the same cpu with the same cooling and the same ram, 50Mhz higher than my 8+2 Asus CHV board will clock the same cpu. More than or better than is a pretty wide set of descriptions. IF I were going to be given the choice of a 10+2 Asrock EXT9 or an Asus 8+2 CHV-z board, and i had 5 mins to make up my mind...shett shett, hands down the Asus CHV-z with a very very good 8+2VRM circuit.

Yep, I like my phases. But more is definitely better is smoke and mirrors done to lure the un-suspecting into a particular camp. Most of us that help day in and day out in the AMD cpu and motherboard sections have all been thru the fast is good and faster is better with the FX series of processors from their release. We have all put in our time in the trenches of upgrading or boards and cooling to run in the +5.5Ghz range for benching at least. Did a few belly-flops with the cheaper series of motherboards and tweaked a few VRMs off the mobo on the early mobos and upgraded to CHV z and non-z boards and in my case even tried the many phased Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board and many of my overclocking buds run the miserly 8+2 Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 in the +5.5Ghz range for benching on water.

So it is not necessarily how many but how good when it comes to just about anything unless we are counting ounces of gold or stacks of $100.00 bills. Then more is always better.
RGone...ster.
Umm I think your mistaken, the crosshair V and Asrock extreme 9 use same VRM chips and are 12+2 not 10......

Back