• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 9590 on Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes DarkApollo, we do most of our helping and recommending from some 3 years of work with users and what boards have worked for the majority. We had so much hale with users and the Rev 3.0 of the UD3 for sure that there was no way to recommend it. We would pull all our hair out trying to assist them via keyboard and posts.

Oh yeah the Rev 3 was garbage and the fact that Giga didn't want to admit to it even after they proved it on their own tests was a bit of a 'are you freaking kidding me?'. Then when I read the reviews for the Rev 4 and saw that they had basically scrapped the whole phase unit and redesigned that with a better heat sink and better components and then backed it up, plus user reviews, really put that one back on the market for me.

I have also spent the past two days working with Johan45 over PM trying to get the most out of my system for the SPi challange. The RAM is the bottle neck, not the board. To be honest, it is probably not the G.Skillz ram that I have in Bank 1 that is the problem either, but the run of the mill DDR3-1333 that I tossed in there when I built it... I should probably pull that out and see what the G.Skillz stuff will do.

the crosshair V and Asrock extreme 9 use same VRM chips and are 12+2 not 10......
Yes It was a typo RGone knows the Asrock Ext 9 does have a 12+2 Vrm as he owns the previous version of it, The Asrock Fatil1ty Killer Professional.

Yes It was a typo RGone knows the Asrock Ext 9 does have a 12+2 Vrm as he owns the previous version of it, The Asrock Fatil1ty Killer Professional.

I had one of those too and they suffered from the same throtlling problem as the ext 9

I think most of that link may have been with FX-6300 but parts of it might reflect my FX-8350 as well since I do remember in some thread telling 'manny' and 'johan' that I had had to swap back to my CHV since I thought I had whacked my FX-8350 but instead had just lost my freeken way with a wild overclock.

Don't know if I ever went back to the FatLady much after that with only one FX-8350 to run. Just lately have come upon a couple of FX cpus that need pushing and I might do some of it on the FatLady (aka Fatal1ty 990FX).

Heck it might be cooling that wards off any throttling since all my benching boards are cooled at the rear of cpu socket and on the VRMs. Do so as a matter of course, since it has proven the best approach in the long run. Removes variables of heat from the overclocking equation as we best know how to do so.
RGone...

Heck it might be cooling that wards off any throttling since all my benching boards are cooled at the rear of cpu socket and on the VRMs

Might? Nope that for sure. People that water cool mosfets shouldnt be throttling either. Me Im too lazy to venture into that world. Already did and was not happy the day a so called 1337 liquid cooler leaked...

I was using a xigmatek darknight II before and it was great even bettter then water if you ask me on CPU temps. Now im gonna get the EVGA one which must be the rebranded xigmatek since I dont see it online anymore but pics show pretty much same heatsink and same screws and mounting brackets.

Not water...

...water is not on my VRM or rear of socket. 120mm fan to rear of socket and 92mm on the VRM.
RGone...ster.

Actually ...... of the guys regularly posting here I am the only guy I know about that has a water block on my Northbridge / VRM, just wanted to try something different.

...water is not on my VRM or rear of socket. 120mm fan to rear of socket and 92mm on the VRM.
RGone...ster.

Better then nothing at least, hence less throttling. I tried putting a antec spotcool fan directed over my VRMs in last 3 mobos with hardly any difference.

Better then nothing at least, hence less throttling. I tried putting a antec spotcool fan directed over my VRMs in last 3 mobos with hardly any difference.

You should notice a difference now that you are moving to an Asus CHV-z board. Non of us have any throttling on that board with APM off and HPC on in the bios versions that have it. Some say tht you have to have APM on for HPC to work enabled but I don't find it so on my CHV or CHV-z. But I do cool the VRM and rear socket area.
RGone...

You should notice a difference now that you are moving to an Asus CHV-z board. Non of us have any throttling on that board with APM off and HPC on in the bios versions that have it. Some say that you have to have APM on for HPC to work enabled but I don't find it so on my CHV or CHV-z. But I do cool the VRM and rear socket area.
RGone...

The way I understood it RGone is that APM is like a master switch. APM controls the CPUs multi to a certain extent and is designed to adjust to loads and temps etc. however it sees fit, also controls turbo function. If APM is disabled then that control is off and the CPU won't throttle. But HPC allows APM to still function but prevents the seemingly Unnecessary throttling that was occurring with the new FX CPUs.

The way I understood it RGone is that APM is like a master switch. APM controls the CPUs multi to a certain extent and is designed to adjust to loads and temps etc. however it sees fit, also controls turbo function. If APM is disabled then that control is off and the CPU won't throttle. But HPC allows APM to still function but prevents the seemingly Unnecessary throttling that was occurring with the new FX CPUs.

Hmm, I dont recall ever seeing an HPC option in bios in over 10 boards. What section is it located in usually? Either that or I never took any importance to it. Now I know to enable it for no throttling.

And yes I cant wait for this Crosshair V to arrive. Been out of the loop for a while, havent OCed anything in like 6 months. Always used to do it. Good ol days with DFI Lanparty socket 939 manchester, got that thingy from 2 ghz to 2.7 and 300 fsb. I loved it!!!!

Not sure that the Asrock boards had that. I do recall something like Thermal Throttle that was likely APM/HPC.
And nothing I have used compares quite to the CHV-z although the Sabertooth is right up there.

Bishoff, I had heard a rumor that somehow Gigabyte had managed to have some issues like MSI and their exploding Mosfets, but had somehow kept the situation nearly silent. To keep such from happening 'more' they released the Rev 3.0 boards that for overclocking were just plain DE-nutted.

Not sure of everything about the changes to the UD3 Rev 4.0 but their later board in that cheap line-up is the UD3P and it has had the VRM circuit changed for sure. I was under the impression that the Rev 4.0 UD3 had redesigned VRM circuit also, but honestly I have little for Giga because of how they treated their customers with the UD3 Rev 3.0 in that they just cut their throats.
RGone...ster.

UD3 should not be used for an 8 core chip period. They're great for quads or a 6 core, but forget about reliably running an 8 core..even at stock the vrm's are on fire.

Not sure that the Asrock boards had that. I do recall something like Thermal Throttle that was likely APM/HPC.
And nothing I have used compares quite to the CHV-z although the Sabertooth is right up there.

Asrock APM option is in tweaking section, the Thermal Throttle is in Advanced>CPU and it still throttles even with both of them off.

In the crosshair z it just says HPC? Gonna have to get used to the new bios. Have an AM1 Asus in my work rig is it a similar bios? Its UEFI too.

Asrock APM option is in tweaking section, the Thermal Throttle is in Advanced>CPU and it still throttles even with both of them off.

In the crosshair z it just says HPC? Gonna have to get used to the new bios. Have an AM1 Asus in my work rig is it a similar bios? Its UEFI too.

It's a UEFI BIOS but doesn't compare to the AM1, I have one of those too. The CHV-z is just swimming in options.

Back