• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
I have done a good amount of googling on this question and have not found much,
What are the lowest temps you can expect to get with a good liquid cooling setup?
I have the SwiftTech h240x liquid cooler and it is expandable.
What if anything can I add to the loop to get lower temps?

Generally if your within 10c of ambient your doing ok. If your within 5c of ambient you're doing great.

For a 24/7 rig the best way to insure that is with surface area. The more radiator surface with appropriate fans the closer you'll be to ambient. Keep in mind at a certain point you'll reach a diminishing return.

My SwiftTech h240x has 2 fans on top and space for 1 fan beneath it, will I benefit from adding a fan to that spot for a push / pull config?

From what I've read you'll get little to no benefit from adding the single push fan. The Swifttech fans that come with the H220's and H240's are very good and very efficient. What temps are you getting with your 240-x under full load?

Ok cool just remember to check what the ambient temp in the room is too.

What case did you get?

That's an excellent choice. The 3 AF120's that come with it should be more than adequate for keeping the inside of the case near room temp. You're going to want to mount your H240-X on the top obviously. I doubt the hoses would even reach the front, and that AIO isn't designed to be run upside down. Post some pics up here once you get it all straightened out.

The simple answer is if you want to have the lowest temp at all time is to have a lot of radiators and some powerful fans. I'll give you my example. My 4930K OCed @4.5ghz along with 2X R9 290X OCed 1200/1500 all of these in one single loop. My idle temp all day long sitting at around 23-27c. At full load (P95) it is sitting at 51-56c. When I am running benchmark on the gpu, its is sitting at around 56c. All these nice temp come with 120x10 Black Ice GTX radiators and 38mm thick Delta fans spinning around 3000rpm. When I tear it down for yearly water change, I am going try to run my fans at 5V to slow the speed down perhaps 2000rpm to keep the noise down a bit.

What is the true load temps bruce? Meaning, run P95 and loop heaven for 30 mins + in your loop... one at a time doesn't show true loads...

What is the true load temps bruce? Meaning, run P95 and loop heaven for 30 mins + in your loop... one at a time doesn't show true loads...

I am simply tell how I find my load temp when I OC my CPU and that how I got my load temp, same go to the GPU. I have never done load CPU and GPU at the same time. When I find the time, I will try it just want to see it myself. I am 100% believed with my cooling system capability can absolutely handling 2X 290X OCed along with my CPU without any heat issues.

To be clear, I believe you that its fine... but to get your max temps, the way to measure that would be to run it real world. When you game, both the CPU and GPU are stressed. When you are only dumping part of the heat load you are not getting your true load doing one or the other. ;)

Coolant Temperature Minus Ambient Air temperature
System qualification​

Less than 5°C - Extreme system
Comprised between 5°C and 10°C - Extreme to High-end system
Comprised between 10°C and 20°C - High-end to Mid-range system
Comprised between 20°C and 30°C - Mid-range to Entry-level system

Generally if your within 10c of ambient your doing ok. If your within 5c of ambient you're doing great.

For a 24/7 rig the best way to insure that is with surface area. The more radiator surface with appropriate fans the closer you'll be to ambient. Keep in mind at a certain point you'll reach a diminishing return.

To be clear, I believe you that its fine... but to get your max temps, the way to measure that would be to run it real world. When you game, both the CPU and GPU are stressed. When you are only dumping part of the heat load you are not getting your true load doing one or the other. ;)

+1 all around. Cookies for everyone. :santa:

Last edited:

When playing game, my temp is 51-56c I never see more than 56c. In part because the massive amount of radiator overcome all additional heats to maintain the 56c at all times.

( Quote)

Coolant Temperature Minus Ambient Air temperature
System qualification

Less than 5°C - Extreme system
Comprised between 5°C and 10°C - Extreme to High-end system
Comprised between 10°C and 20°C - High-end to Mid-range system
Comprised between 20°C and 30°C - Mid-range to Entry-level system

So, I guess I am fall under the extreme system. :) Good to know.

Back