• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It doesn't work that way. You get condensation on a glass of ice water because the water is colder than the air. The humidity in the air cools and become water again on the outside of the glass. What happens to a glass of warm water when you take it outside in the cold? It just begins to get cold.

The problem with getting your whole Rig to sub zero is you HDD's won't like you and will eventually stop spinning. Not sure if that's true of SSD's though. Also, once you bring your rig back I to a room temperature environment you will begin condensing.

So if I don't go for subzero temps but just really cold temps... Obviously I would have to look into what the coldest temp I can do without making my hard drive mad.. But I wonder if there is a happy range that I could cool the inside of my PC to and not make HDD mad and also so when I turn the computer off I don't have to worry about condensation when things warm back up. Any ideas? I know this is probably a strange question but I have a design in mind using a 4 tier multistage/cascade thermoelectric cooler to function as a cooler for the ambient air temps inside my case. So I'm just trying to work out the safe temp ranged to judge how to continue to develop my design. Yes I know my brain never sleeps.... Lol I'm always thinking of crazy ideas.. I can't help it!!

My reason for this idea is as follows...

Since my resevoir for my h2o loop is in my case, if I lower the ambient temps in my case a good bit then that will then cause the operating temps of my loop to also drop...

If you steer away from sub temps you'll be fine. What you should be focusing on is if you have enough heat surface for said components. Work on what Delta-Temps you're aiming for before you get to diminishing returns. What FPI, what fan speed and how much noise level you're willing to accept. There's more than enough to think about if you're on the right path. You're way over thinking this and in the wrong direction. I like thinking and tinkering but sometimes I get off base too.

That may certainly be possible (getting off track ) ;) but just to humor me, since the radiator helps bring the temps of the water back to ambient, if ambient was much cooler wouldn't it then help keep the water at a lower temp?

That may certainly be possible (getting off track ) ;) but just to humor me, since the radiator helps bring the temps of the water back to ambient, if ambient was much cooler wouldn't it then help keep the water at a lower temp?

No point in being a smart ***. Just trying to help someone who seems to be running in circles and steer them in a straight line. You can take your "humor" elsewhere.

My apologies if he wasn't. I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed than. :facepalm:

I certainly was not being a smart @$$ I'm just trying to figure out if this idea is worth trying.... I've been trying for the life of me to think of new ways to cool my PC and components and I thought this was a pretty good one.... :/

I've done quite a bit of research on the various "standard" ways of cooling and extreme cooling... I'm just trying to think of new/unique ways...who knows maybe one of them will be good and yield great results... I can't help myself to constantly think about things like this..I'm a Developer / Mobile Architect for for my day job... So finding new and unique solutions to a problem is just how my mind works...

Snow, a couple ways to drop case ambient, (at your own risk of course).

1. Freeze bottles of water and set in the bottom of your case. (Be careful of humidity)

2. Put a cup of crushed dry ice in your case (warning: there are things in your case that are not intended for -120 ish degrees. This includes heat pipes from gpu and NB. Also condensation.

Edit: oh and any water cooling stuffs too. Ah corse

Last edited:
Thank ya! My original crazy idea was to use a 4-level stacked/cascaded tec, have the hot side attached to a custom heat sink (on the outside of my case)and then the cold side inside of my case with it running in a short spiral. Put this inside of a metal housing with a fan on one side and have the air flow blowing through the cold copper tube. This way the air would be "chilled" and blowing into the case. In theory it should make the air super cold but still not have any moisture in it. I could even put some cotton fibers inside the metal housing (may affect the air flow slightly but at least it would remove any moisture that there happened to be) I have a sketch for this crazy idea and even a multi stage tec to use for it. So I'm just trying to figure out how to make it work. Also if I insulate the metal housing that holds the cold end of the tec and have it completely sealed minus where the cold air is being blown out it should isolate the extremely cold portion of the tec from outside ambient air to where no condensation forms, then the only place cold air would be is coming out the end of the copper pipe...which I could also insulate the outside of the copper pipe. So if I can manage to remove any moisture I would only have to worry about the air inside of my case. I could even have this entire device sitting outside of my case and just have the end of the copper tube inserted into a spot on my case so just the cold air blows In..... With my computer I can put it in away mode where it's in hibernation and the fans are still running to minimize heat. Turn the device on and let it cycle cool air through my PC until the temps are lowered then I could wake up the pc... I mean it sounds like a good idea inside my head ;)

Any air temp below the dew point will cause condensation.

Try your ideas, sure, but I'd insulate the board with conformal or something.

It sounds cool but a monumental PITA for a daily driver.

Last edited:
I have a sketch for this crazy idea and even a multi stage tec to use for it.

Oh gosh Good Luck BRO!!!

Have tried this. Very many times.

Here have a read of this thread!

FX-8350 & FX-4300 TEC COOLED on M5A78L-MX PLUS

EDIT:
LONG STORY SHORT....

Re: FX-8350 TEC cooling.
Postby Johan45 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 am

Most of those really didn't look too practical. I really didn't think it would be a viable alternative.

Last edited:
The bigger question Snow is why? If this is a 24/7 rig for gaming and you know how to get your temps within a few degrees of ambient, what do you gain by getting a few below it?

I'm playing devils advocate here as I've asked many of these questions earlier this year when I was getting into H20 Cooling. There are some very interesting and unique alternative cooling options out there. Most of them aren't practical but work superbly.

I don't believe this question was ever answered so I'll ask again, Is this just a gaming rig or are you benchmarking/folding/mining on this rig? For 24/7 use there really is NO point in attempting below ambient air. If it's just to see if you can do it, then I say go for it. I've done my share of alternate cooling projects. Some work, some don't. If ANY of them were practical they'd be on a shelf at a retail store somewhere.

I believe, from one of the many threads of the OP, that this is an everything rig. I already suggested with the large budget he had, to build two PC's. One for daily driver, and one for benchmarking...

I believe, from one of the many threads of the OP, that this is an everything rig. I already suggested with the large budget he had, to build two PC's. One for daily driver, and one for benchmarking...

That's right on the money E_D, I have a daily and then the one you saw connected to the big arse rad. The latter is definitely not suitable for long gaming sessions or just general work TBH. I can't keep an OS on it long enough to do anything even remotely useful. Ha ha

You guys only have two rigs? Oh gosh I should sell some HW. At one time had 5 rigs running just on the bench.....

LOL, I have 3 desktops currently set-up and running with enough parts to make a 4th (no desk space), 3 laptops, 3 tablets, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Back