• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ignoring the pissing contest...

R9 290 for 224$ (MIR) seems INCREDIBLY high in the bang for the buck department. Yes, its gonna get hot, but its also designed to work in that heat. IF thats ok with the OP, thats what I would personally do with that particular system.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...R929WF3-4GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1301

The GTX 970 is too beast to ignore for 330$. It's superior in every way to the r9 series platform. It's also 100$ (read : 50% more) expensive. Worth it? Depends on the OP and what he's looking to do with what budget. Personally, given his (albeit decent) old system, I think getting the 290 is the way to go myself. Would give him some room to save up for haswell and stretch into that. If he's got a spare 330$ and doesn't care about his other parts, then the 970 wins no contest.

its not like the 290 is a slouch people...

Nice find...That's a hell of sale! At that price difference I would snag one too (I noted in POST #12 that both are viable even at a $40 difference)! At newegg the cheapest was $300 while the 970 was $340 hence our $40 difference and discussion. Can't fact check everything in people's posts! :p

Well this blew up...

FYI I have a preference for Intel and nvidia, so I will be going for their products, although I respect others' preferences.

That aside, it looks like I now have within my budget the CPU+Mobo, and next week my paycheck can cover the rest for a 970. Now I ask: is it worth waiting and saving up for another month or so and go with a 980? I'd likely be keeping the 760 for dedicated physx games, unless I get the off chance to sell it for some extra cash.
Its not that I prefer, I use to use nvidia till they hijacked physx and shafter AGEIA users, heck I was one of the first in the world to own a geforce 3 according to 3dmark 01 stats as for intel my first comp was a celey back in the 90s. But when I starting building my own due to political reasons and who intel is in bed with I dont use them.

Ignoring the pissing contest...

R9 290 for 224$ (MIR) seems INCREDIBLY high in the bang for the buck department. Yes, its gonna get hot, but its also designed to work in that heat. IF thats ok with the OP, thats what I would personally do with that particular system.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...R929WF3-4GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1301

The GTX 970 is too beast to ignore for 330$. It's superior in every way to the r9 series platform. It's also 100$ (read : 50% more) expensive. Worth it? Depends on the OP and what he's looking to do with what budget. Personally, given his (albeit decent) old system, I think getting the 290 is the way to go myself. Would give him some room to save up for haswell and stretch into that. If he's got a spare 330$ and doesn't care about his other parts, then the 970 wins no contest.

its not like the 290 is a slouch people...

Yes the 290 is best bang for buck thats why I got one, the performance difference is not worth it if your on a budget compared to 290x

Nice find...That's a hell of sale! At that price difference I would snag one too (I noted in POST #12 that both are viable even at a $40 difference)! At newegg the cheapest was $300 while the 970 was $340 hence our $40 difference and discussion. Can't fact check everything in people's posts! :p

Yeah, prices since late october have been screwy. Nvidia really slammed AMD with the pricing/performance of the 970. I think even the most die hard of the fanboi's would be hard pressed to buy a 290x over a 970. The 290's have been floating sales around the 200$ mark for a bit now, certainly piqued my interest in them too. 280x is absolutely out of the question now, no reason to get one new, same with 770's and 780's.

Yeah, prices since late october have been screwy. Nvidia really slammed AMD with the pricing/performance of the 970. I think even the most die hard of the fanboi's would be hard pressed to buy a 290x over a 970. The 290's have been floating sales around the 200$ mark for a bit now, certainly piqued my interest in them too. 280x is absolutely out of the question now, no reason to get one new, same with 770's and 780's.

Its a never ending cycle, one company realeases new gen that pwnz the other then the other counter strikes, simple as that. But the other company always lowers prices to compete, except for the green ones.... they wont lower prices no matter how hard they get stomped

Zakarro your avatar is illegal on OCF. Anything that could p*ss off more than half the members here is considered unacceptable for use as an avatar. You should change it. AMD pacman smashing Intel pacman is over the line.

Zakarro your avatar is illegal on OCF. Anything that could p*ss off more than half the members here is considered unacceptable for use as an avatar. You should change it. AMD pacman smashing Intel pacman is over the line.

or you could look at it as AMD needs a hammer to beat the superior Intel? :D

or you could look at it as AMD needs a hammer to beat the superior Intel? :D

illegal avatar? ROFLMFAO. Offensive? LMFAO

Better way to look at it is AMD smashes intel in bang for buck and according to their own slogan "the smarter choice" ;) Or like you said, its all relative to matter of perspective, like you said it could be AMD chasing intel with a hammer as well, notice the hammer is not in action its in position.

AMD has no bang for the buck anymore. To get comparable performance to an i5, you need a 200$ motherboard, and a 150$ 8 core heat monster of a chip. Works out to be roughly the same cost as an i5 haha.

AMD has no bang for the buck anymore. To get comparable performance to an i5, you need a 200$ motherboard, and a 150$ 8 core heat monster of a chip. Works out to be roughly the same cost as an i5 haha.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

You were saying?

Yet again show me one intel for 150 that can do what an 8350 can do, one intel for 130 that can do what an 8320 can do and one intel that for 99 that can do what a 6300 can do. :)

Anyways can we please not derail this thread, I told OP from begining he doesnt need to upgrade CPU anyways, the original debate was video.

I don't see anything wrong with the avatar myself. I think it's kinda cute. I can't tell you the last time I bought an AMD CPU either so I'm not exactly biased either. Either way, it isn't going to be illegal unless there is some law that states that pacman on pacman violence is against the law. Against rules of a site? Sure but even being against rules doesn't apply in this case.

I don't see anything wrong with the avatar myself. I think it's kinda cute. I can't tell you the last time I bought an AMD CPU either so I'm not exactly biased either. Either way, it isn't going to be illegal unless there is some law that states that pacman on pacman violence is against the law. Against rules of a site? Sure but even being against rules doesn't apply in this case.

I asked another mod about using an avatar where Calvin was taking a wee on the AMD logo several months ago and was shot down so I figured it was standard policy around here.

Back