• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hillage

Alright guys, Christmas has funded my next upgrade :)

Current setup is an i5-2500k OC to 4.3ghz on AIO water cooling. Nothing crazy.
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
EVGA GTX760 Dual SC ACX cooling (2gb mem)
16gb G.Skill 1333 RAM
64gb Boot drive
HDD for data
120gb SSD for games
850W PSU

I like to play games on high-max settings, and I am currently working on recording and editing the video. Resolution is 1920x1080.

I was looking into some upgrades, and was looking at a combo consisting of a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 mobo, with i7-4790k cpu. The price comes out to about 465$. This would also allow me to get a larger SSD for my boot drive that always seems to be full.

I just wanted some advice/opinions, as I have never done a lot of editing of video. What upgrade would you all recommend? The mobo/cpu combo with an ssd? Or just go for a GPU upgrade? If I got a GPU, it would likely be a 980.

Thanks guys. Any and all input is much appreciated.

I'd take your 2500K to 4.8Ghz and get a GTX 980 personally. Or a 970.
970 is better bang for the buck. Your system is not obsolete.

What's with the 1333Mhz RAM?

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Your CPU is fine, upgrade video 290x is what I recommend or even 295x if you can spare the cash

Your CPU is fine, upgrade video 290x is what I recommend or even 295x if you can spare the cash

Why get a GPU that costs the same as a 970, but produces more heat, uses more power, and has lower performance?

Why get a GPU that costs the same as a 970, but produces more heat, uses more power, and has lower performance?
No cost same 40 dollars cheaper for 290x and performs only a little less.

As for heat thats all relative to what cooler is being put by manufactuer, my 290 never goes above 60 even with OCCT stress test same card less shaders.

As for performance not much difference for 40 dollar difference. Or like I said 295x

And with new drivers he can run SVR which If im not mistaken nvidia cant do ;)

And no DX12 compatibility.

As for heat thats all relative to what cooler is being put by manufactuer, my 290 never goes above 60 even with OCCT stress test same card less shaders.

As for performance not much difference for 40 dollar difference. Or like I said 295x

Heat in this situation is not a measure of the temperature the card is at. Heat is a measure of the GPU's TDP. A GPU with a 300W TDP will heat your room a lot more than a GPU with a 165W TDP.

Look at the FX 9590 vs the Intel 4790K. The 9590 may have lower temps under load but that doesn't mean it isn't outputting more heat to your room than the 4790K is. Regardless of what temperature you see in Coretemp, etc, an NHD14 on a 4790K at 80C is cool to the touch. On a 9590 at 55C it is hot to the touch.

As far as heat....man that's a 250W+ card vs 150W on the 970. It doesn't matter what cooler is on it, the amount of heat coming off the two cards is very different (and remember, heat and temperature are two different things, ;))

A 295x2 at that resolution is a giant waste of cash...

Heat is not dependant upon the cooler, it is dependant upon the architecture. Heat is measured in watts, what you are thinking of is temperature (which we use degrees Celsius typically). The 290X used TWICE the power (think power from the wall) and therefore produces TWICE the heat.

A 295X2, just so you can have microstutter issues? No thanks.
Besides, the power draw of the 295X2 is over 500W just for the GPU.
You can run two 970's for way cheaper than a 295X2 while pulling down around half the power. That helps keep the room your gaming in immensely cooler.

Who cares about SVR besides the select few using GPU computational analysis on a select few programs?
I don't even care enough to look it up to see if Nvidia supports it.

As far as heat....man that's a 250W+ card vs 150W on the 970. It doesn't matter what cooler is on it, the amount of heat coming off the two cards is very different (and remember, heat and temperature are two different things, ;))

A 295x2 at that resolution is a giant waste of cash...

I care more about money then heat ;)
But like I said power consumption and heat is the least of my concerns, not like your running the GPU at 100% all day long, thats where AMD power play kicks in. Lower power usage when idle.

SOrry but im anti nvidia and ohh intel especially intel

But like I said power consumption and heat is the least of my concerns, not like your running the GPU at 100% all day long, thats where AMD power play kicks in. Lower power usage when idle.

So you're against superior products (in our current generation(s)? You'd take a hotter, inferior card with no DX12 over a cooler, better card with DX12?
So you can save $40? You don't like G-Sync? Which AMD has no answer to currently?

How can you suggest a 295X2? You need to do rad mounting in your case for it. Ridiculous. Every 295X2 installation I've seen looked messy. Not only that, it uses massive amounts of power, outputs massive amounts of heat, and you can match it with 2 970s for the same price, which are superior for all the reasons that have been mentioned in this thread, as well as the installation looking cleaner.

There's such a thing as leaning more towards Intel than AMD, more towards AMD than Nvidia, and there's such a thing as blind fanboyism.
Merry Christmas and don't take this the wrong way like you did in the Intel HT thread.

What have Nvidia and Intel ever done to you to make you so angry at them?

Last edited:

I had a reply, but the post quoted below beat me to it.

So you're against superior products (in our current generation(s)? You'd take a hotter, inferior card with no DX12 over a cooler, better card with DX12?
So you can save $40? You don't like G-Sync? Which AMD has no answer to currently?

There's such a thing as leaning more towards Intel than AMD, more towards AMD than Nvidia, and there's such a thing as fanboyism with a blindfold on.
Merry Christmas and don't take this the wrong way like you did in the Intel HT thread.

we were not not talking power use when idle or if he leaves his pc on all day which would be the only way tha t males a difference. That said, both are viable options, but I feel the Nvidia gpu has a few more positives going for it.

Its clear which side you lean man. You don't need to spell that out, lol!

we were not not talking power use when idle or if he leaves his pc on all day which would be the only way tha t males a difference. That said, both are viable options, but I feel the Nvidia gpu has a few more positives going for it.

Its clear which side you lean man. You don't need to spell that out, lol!

I lean on saving 40 bucks over a few more fps, add vsync and ohh boy

I'm guessing he means he caps it anyway so more fps do not matter. ;)

You are correct, you should change you avatar to most sane person here ;)

Vsync is the cap, 65hz 65 fps constant in any game unless its coded like crap such as ARMA 3 or some maps of RO2

Well this blew up...

FYI I have a preference for Intel and nvidia, so I will be going for their products, although I respect others' preferences.

That aside, it looks like I now have within my budget the CPU+Mobo, and next week my paycheck can cover the rest for a 970. Now I ask: is it worth waiting and saving up for another month or so and go with a 980? I'd likely be keeping the 760 for dedicated physx games, unless I get the off chance to sell it for some extra cash.

Sell the 760 and grab a 980. It or the 970 will easily run any game and physx anyway. No need to waste the poser it would use when one card will do it easily.

I hate to back earthdog at any time, but he's dead on this time, I have 2 760's, love them, but they are to far out of date now.

let me tell you, sitting here with 2 7970's, (r9 280) folding at 65c heats the heck out of this room.
the 760 and 770, gk104, is pretty much history at this point, my 770 will game as well as i like but it's over for it.
290, 295? talk about heat and noise, yea bunches of both, I have a 290 on the way, for folding, not gaming.
dx12 is here and will be the future, dx11 is here but is the past..
get the 980.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back