• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Identifying Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyAdler

Registered
Im trying to buy a specific system online through an auction and they have not listed the video card. I can not get through to them to ask.

All I have is a picture of the back of the machine.

It looks like an HD 5870 except for the added screw under the vent-side DVI port.

VideoCard.jpg

its definitely a video card.
problem is probably 100+ cards have that exact layout.

edit: darn you joe.

Lack of vga means it's a more modern card. That said, it could be anything between a 5450 or a 7970...

Awesome! I knew it was either a video card or a toaster.

I can't find a single video card with that layout and that screw under the vent-side dvi port.
I know it's a long shot asking here but there are definitely more videocard wise people here than in my head.

Problem is, as wagex stated, the picture doesn't really help much unless there is some database that shows the I/O areas of cards... which, AFAIK, doesn't exist.

Time to gamble on that auction man...

Problem is, as wagex stated, the picture doesn't really help much unless there is some database that shows the I/O areas of cards... which, AFAIK, doesn't exist.

Time to gamble on that auction man...

I was hoping to find that database in the collective minds of the overclockers forum members. :D

EDIT: I intend to gamble on the auction, I just wasn't sure how much to gamble. (For those curious its an HP Z800, 12GB RAM, no HDD)

Further EDIT: I have gleaned from the serial number that this system was purchased on Sept 1, 2010. That certainly narrows it down. (unless it was upgraded...)

Last edited:
If it's stock to the system, it's a firepro or quaddro. Don't think there's a way to tell, and given its age, probably a near useless card anyway. I'd bid as if it didn't come with a gpu.

I went ahead and called the seller.

Turns out its a Powercolor Radeon HD 5850.

PowerColor_HD5850-PCS_Video_Card_Corner.jpg

Managed to win it for $350. I'm pretty sure that's a great deal.

I guess this forum isn't the best place to discuss it, though, overclocking a machine like this isn't really done.

This forum, Overclockers.com, is a great place to discuss it, but this section of the forum, and in particular this thread, is not, correct.

Overclocking a machine like that generally can't be done due to BIOS limitations (and potentially hardware, mobo).

you might get lucky and find a modified bios for what ever mobo is in there to unlock the settings needed for overclocking.

I got lucky in that aspect once, had an asus prebuilt system that was stripped down to just the case and mobo, stuck some spares in there but I needed the ram timings to unlock for it to run right and the mobo had an OEM bios version with no manageable features really but the retail version of the same board has all the multis, fsb, timings, ect, unlocked. so I managed, after some time, to get something to hot flash it and with out checksums and it worked. I was surprised. it was getting to the point where I was going to make a eeprom burner with my arduino

you might get lucky and find a modified bios for what ever mobo is in there to unlock the settings needed for overclocking.

I got lucky in that aspect once, had an asus prebuilt system that was stripped down to just the case and mobo, stuck some spares in there but I needed the ram timings to unlock for it to run right and the mobo had an OEM bios version with no manageable features really but the retail version of the same board has all the multis, fsb, timings, ect, unlocked. so I managed, after some time, to get something to hot flash it and with out checksums and it worked. I was surprised. it was getting to the point where I was going to make a eeprom burner with my arduino

I looked around but I don't think its likely to find an unlocked/modified BIOS for this system.

Back