• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A cheapskates first impression of SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

900x900px-LL-9bb28d6b_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

Nabbed an M550, installed windows thinking it would be "good"...

My mind is freaking blown haha. I can't believe how fast windows loads! It literally takes me 10-15 seconds to go from dead to fully loaded windows.

:bang head: Why'd I wait so long... Anywho, initial impressions of this is very impressive, I can't believe how cool this thing is. Not horrible to wait around for a restart on a HDD, and I still think its a "luxury item" that shouldn't bite into a CPU or GPU budget, but overall Im loving this speed.

LOL, I should dig up some posts of yours from when you first joined on this subject... :p

Glad you are enjoying it! Welcome to the club! I remember a few several years ago when I first got one (OCZ Summit....).

and I still think its a "luxury item"
Heh... considering that most CPUs are plenty good enough, there is nothing outside of an SSD that gives you the best 'butt dyno' feeling.

how well I remember E_D, you were the best help... but I'll still never have a spinner as boot as long as I live..........

hey, it was new to me!!!!!
now i have a boot ssd, os only, one with a programsx86 folder on it for all the installs and another with my games on it then a spinner for mass storage.
I use crucial m500's for boot and sandisk or kingston (what's on sale cheap at the time) for the rest.

:p...I'm just giving him a hard time..:)

Caddi... You on the sauce again?!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club bob, we have cookies. :thup:

I now buy small SSD's for my benching drives as well, because I can Bork an OS and have an new Os on in no time. Next step is having a SSD as a storage drive as well. I'm waiting for those 500gb ones to drop a bit more.

I'm waiting for those 500gb ones to drop a bit more.

I recall an article or two this past week regarding 1TB SSDs being released this year at about the $375 mark. A few extra players in the market will keep downward pressure on the pricing. End of year pricing should look interesting.:cool:

Well... whatever it is, its freaking AWESOME for overclocking vid cards. Screw up? 20 seconds later Im back to where I started and can tweak again. Man I've been missing out!

edit: Props to asus for getting the ssd controller working!

again????? E_D, when was I off????
with the crap I've slopped on my plate this winter it's heavy fuel time, double cheese burgers and everclear......

- - - Updated - - -

yes, you have!!!!

I recall an article or two this past week regarding 1TB SSDs being released this year at about the $375 mark. A few extra players in the market will keep downward pressure on the pricing. End of year pricing should look interesting.:cool:
I've been watching the SSD prices and they have been coming down of late, fairly quickly, here's is hoping that by year end they will have come down a lot more. :D

again????? E_D, when was I off????
with the crap I've slopped on my plate this winter it's heavy fuel time, double cheese burgers and everclear......

- - - Updated - - -

yes, you have!!!!
:screwy:

Back