• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading a friend's PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chronichiptonic

My buddy received a PC for Christmas and he is now upgrading it with my help. The PC is one of those Bestbuy/Staples PCs, eww am i right?. Ill be recycling the optical drive, hard drive, MOBO, APU, and RAM. The PSU that came with it was a generic 350 watt and the case is too small to support an ATX PSU. New items are; A new case, GPU and PSU. The APU is an AMD A6 6400K, I forgot to check his BOIS to see what socket its in, I suggested to him that he buy something 4-core later when he has the money, an A8-5600K or Athlon 760K. The mobo had 2 DIMM slots which i filled with some spare memory i already had at hand, giving it 8G of ram. Here is a list of components that I picked out for the upgrade. Keep in mind that Im working with a budget of like 400$ after shipping.

Case - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
PSU - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182300
GPU - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545

Suggestions?

nothing wrong with an a6 6400k add a cheap mother board, good cooler and clock it some.
I have one on a horrid gigabyte f2a55m-ds2 board, no usb 3.0, only sata 2, but, it clocks the pee out of the little apu and other than the lack of features it feeds an r9-290 in game pretty dern well when clocked.

You could always try hybrid crossfirex and not waste the decent iGPU. It'll save a bunch of money and scales to give you another 40-50% on the iGPU. Than again, the recommended pairing with that proc is a 6450 and while others might work, maybe you want better then that. Still, decent bang for buck not to waste the decent graphics (for integrated already on there). Decent to the point of there's no reason to bother unless you're doing some gaming that might actually stress the GPU. I.E. movies and minecraft and TF2 will run fine as is. (and if you're not set on having max settings or are willing to go 720p, even heavy games will run good as is)

IMO, There's better PSUs and cases for that money. First of all 650watts is overkill for this.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016 Better brand and better price, more then enough wattage.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129187 just $35 and probably looks better then the stock one

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179 I've got one of these and they look pretty decent and are all black inside for $50. Little narrow to fit a tower cooler later though, I have that problem now.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 Sold out at the moment but you can probably find it elsewhere. Usuually like $60 and like all the HAF cases looks badass as hell

EDIT----

You could also try and google around about that PSU. Some OEMs do actually use decent ones, some don't, might as well see which one it is before going out and replacing it. Most people over estimate their needed wattage and while I guess it's better to be over then under I'd check it out first.

IDK about that Rosewill PSU that you have picked, it's not on the forum's recommended PSU list. Why not go with this SeaSonic unit? I ran a 550Ti + a 960T on a rebrand of that PSU with no problem. I know it's good, and it's the same price (give or take shipping).

Edit:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016 Better brand and better price, more then enough wattage.

That's not on the PSU list here either. That's pretty much my bible when I'm trying to figure out what PSU to use for a build.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much just going on brand. Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA is what I usually stick to if anyone asks me (even though I built my PC back before I knew what I was doing and it has an ULTRA power supply)

Seriously dude. YOu're not going to squeeze water out of a stone. Listen to ATMINSIDE. Buy a 750Ti and be done with it. This guy already got ripped off with an OEM PC. Consider whether you are really helping him or just putting together a fun project for yourself.

He'll be fine with the system as is and a 750Ti. Performance wil be quite bad because the APU he has is a turtle, but it'll be better than nothing.

Let him save his money so he can get a proper system with an i5 down the road. APUs and Athlons are not good CPUs for the gaming world.

Get a 750Ti. It'll run on that crummy OEM PSU he has. $110, done. Telling your friend he has to spend more is not cool.

Seriously dude. YOu're not going to squeeze water out of a stone. Listen to ATMINSIDE. Buy a 750Ti and be done with it. This guy already got ripped off with an OEM PC. Consider whether you are really helping him or just putting together a fun project for yourself.

He'll be fine with the system as is and a 750Ti. Performance wil be quite bad because the APU he has is a turtle, but it'll be better than nothing.

Let him save his money so he can get a proper system with an i5 down the road. APUs and Athlons are not good CPUs for the gaming world.

Get a 750Ti. It'll run on that crummy OEM PSU he has. $110, done. Telling your friend he has to spend more is not cool.

I'd assume a desire to replace the PSU would be largely out of reliability reasons, peace of mind, etc. and case for looks, which, if it's OEM is probably pretty bad. He doesn't HAVE to spend a cent, the A6 has decent integrated graphics and it'll probably run what he wants it too. We're going on what the OP says with the idea he WANTS better graphics performance, a better looking case, and a decent PSU, etc. You don't need an i5 for a 'proper' system. What proper is is defined but what the guy wants, not if you think it's a 'stone'. The power of an i5 or i7 is wasted on most people. Not saying it is here, but the computer should be usable as is. A case and a PSU can be carried over and last years. Honestly way longer then a GPU remains relevant. You need to assume the OP has an idea of what he wants and if he says the guy wants a new case, he probably wants new better looking case.

EDIT---

and while APUs are not great CPUs for graphics cards and high end or even mid range gaming, for budget gaming they kick the crap out of anything Intel can offer, and if he doesn't mind 720p, frankly he could save $100 and just stick with it. Or not. His choice.

Last edited:
I'd assume a desire to replace the PSU would be largely out of reliability reasons, peace of mind, etc. and case for looks, which, if it's OEM is probably pretty bad. He doesn't HAVE to spend a cent, the A6 has decent integrated graphics and it'll probably run what he wants it too. We're going on what the OP says with the idea he WANTS better graphics performance, a better looking case, and a decent PSU, etc. You don't need an i5 for a 'proper' system. What proper is is defined but what the guy wants, not if you think it's a 'stone'. The power of an i5 or i7 is wasted on most people. Not saying it is here, but the computer should be usable as is. A case and a PSU can be carried over and last years. Honestly way longer then a GPU remains relevant. You need to assume the OP has an idea of what he wants and if he says the guy wants a new case, he probably wants new better looking case.

EDIT---

and while APUs are not great CPUs for graphics cards and high end or even mid range gaming, for budget gaming they kick the crap out of anything Intel can offer, and if he doesn't mind 720p, frankly he could save $100 and just stick with it. Or not. His choice.

Even at 720P, a large majority of AAA titles (except for maybe The Sims) are going to seriously struggle on an APU. At least on a 750Ti, you can play almost anything at 1080P with decent results. And it draws very little power.

Why upgrade the PSU? It works. I'm guessing this was a very cheap OEM computer judging by the CPU in it. Why spend $80 on a decent PSU and $60 on a decent case. He already has a PSU and a case. A PC is more for using than it is for looking at, and based on that, I'd say put the money where the performance is and get a 750Ti. He can get away with it without changing the PSU. Make sure he gets a 750Ti that doesn't require PCIE power as a couple do, and he's set.

Maybe we ought to ask what the prebuilt model is? Like I said, if it doesn't support an ATX-sized PSU, what are the chances that it'll support anything other than low profile add-in cards?

Then, if that is indeed the case, he will need a new case for the new video card (unless he goes low profile, in which case I have no idea what would be best). Then, the likely SFF PSU will probably not work for that case because of short wires and no proper mounting system, so a new PSU will be needed.

Maybe we ought to ask what the prebuilt model is? Like I said, if it doesn't support an ATX-sized PSU, what are the chances that it'll support anything other than low profile add-in cards?

Then, if that is indeed the case, he will need a new case for the new video card (unless he goes low profile, in which case I have no idea what would be best). Then, the likely SFF PSU will probably not work for that case because of short wires and no proper mounting system, so a new PSU will be needed.

The 750 Ti comes in low profile ;)

The 750 Ti comes in low profile ;)

And so they are, albeit more expensive, which is why I didn't see them at first (went with the priced lowest-highest sort option).

The Gigabyte 750Ti is the cheapest truly low profile one one Newegg.ca. MSI has one for about $30 cheaper, but it doesn't come with the low profile backplate, unless I didn't see it.

Even at 720P, a large majority of AAA titles (except for maybe The Sims) are going to seriously struggle on an APU. At least on a 750Ti, you can play almost anything at 1080P with decent results. And it draws very little power.

Why upgrade the PSU? It works. I'm guessing this was a very cheap OEM computer judging by the CPU in it. Why spend $80 on a decent PSU and $60 on a decent case. He already has a PSU and a case. A PC is more for using than it is for looking at, and based on that, I'd say put the money where the performance is and get a 750Ti. He can get away with it without changing the PSU. Make sure he gets a 750Ti that doesn't require PCIE power as a couple do, and he's set.

If gaming is the be all end all, and he wants better graphics performance, then yes, I agree completely. All I'm saying is that you're saying "he doesn't need a new case" and that's true, but the same holds true for a GPU- he doesn't need a new GPU. He wants one. Just like the case.

For people that like to shove their PC under a desk case probably isn't important, but it you like to set it on top then having something you're going to use everyday for years not be butt-ugly is a fine reason to get a case.

Both the case and the APU work just fine. But he wants new stuff, and the case isn't nessasary less important to him then the GPU. We don't even really know what he's using this computer for.

And so they are, albeit more expensive, which is why I didn't see them at first (went with the priced lowest-highest sort option).

The Gigabyte 750Ti is the cheapest truly low profile one one Newegg.ca. MSI has one for about $30 cheaper, but it doesn't come with the low profile backplate, unless I didn't see it.

Reviews on the MSI say it comes with the bracket.

Any of them should come with the bracket.

If gaming is the be all end all, and he wants better graphics performance, then yes, I agree completely. All I'm saying is that you're saying "he doesn't need a new case" and that's true, but the same holds true for a GPU- he doesn't need a new GPU. He wants one. Just like the case.

For people that like to shove their PC under a desk case probably isn't important, but it you like to set it on top then having something you're going to use everyday for years not be butt-ugly is a fine reason to get a case.

Both the case and the APU work just fine. But he wants new stuff, and the case isn't nessasary less important to him then the GPU. We don't even really know what he's using this computer for.

What you're suggesting is equivalent to throwing money in the fireplace. Seriously. No offense is intended, I just really don't think I'm making my point here. He has a computer. We've established that. The computer is in a case. The computer has an APU. He does need a new GPU, if he wants to game, because a low end APU like what he has is not going to be decent for gaming, even at 720P, in pretty much any AAA title, except the Sims, which it should run swimmingly based on my experience (I run it on my mom's 5150 Athlon APU). He does need a new GPU. But does he need a new case? No. Does he need a new PSU? No. What the heck for? Those OEM PSUs are usually fairly long lasting, even if they have garbage efficiency. They don't roll over and die after 6 months in most cases. So he thinks the case is ugly/ you think the case is ugly. So what? What you're proposing is taking an unattractive 1989 Volkswagen Rabbit and repainting it and putting a wing on the back of it. What's the point? You're just throwing money at a junker, which is essentially what his PC is. Again, no offense intended. I'm just trying to make a point. This guy has what was probably a $400-500 OEM PC, and you want to spend $60 on a case, $80 on a PSU, $140 on a GPU. That's almost $300. So you're nearly doubling the price of the PC-- to what end? To get a higher framerate in games? When you could pull that off with just over $100 with a low profile 750Ti? Ridiculous IMO. Just ridiculous. He's made his bed by buying OEM, or being gifted OEM, or whatever the case was. Let's not waste money by putting makeup on a monkey. The only worthwhile pursuit here is to improve the performance of the machine, and that can be done for just over $100 with a 750Ti. Case is ugly? Put it under the desk. No sense spending money to make a monkey pretty.

"Nice case. What kind of rig you got in there?"
"A low end OEM mobo with a low end APU"

Doesn't make sense. I'm guessing this is your friend's first desktop, based on the rationale being presented in this thread. All I would say to him at this point is to never take form over function in life. In any respect.

He can take that $300 he has, add another $500, and buy a truly decent gaming machine. Don't let him flush it down the toilet.

:grouphug:

Honestly, I don't think that buying a barely gaming grade GPU is the way to go at this either, by that logic. OP is buying from Newegg.ca, and on said site, the cheapest low profile 750Ti is $170. That's considerably more than "a little over $100". Even the cheapest standard height card is $155. This is before shipping, btw, which is ~$10 either way. Maybe not spending any of it right now would be best; Save up for a new build, and when OP can afford a new build, retire this machine to HTPC duty or something.

Honestly, I don't think that buying a barely gaming grade GPU is the way to go at this either, by that logic. OP is buying from Newegg.ca, and on said site, the cheapest low profile 750Ti is $170. That's considerably more than "a little over $100". Even the cheapest standard height card is $155. This is before shipping, btw, which is ~$10 either way. Maybe not spending any of it right now would be best; Save up for a new build, and when OP can afford a new build, retire this machine to HTPC duty or something.

The 750Ti will play almost any current game at 1080p adequately for a LOT of users.
Most games will do high settings around 45-50FPS, which still plays better than a console. And has higher detail at the same time.

Not sure what you're talking about...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Here's a standard height 750Ti for $99 after rebate, $129 before rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836&cm_re=750_Ti-_-14-127-836-_-Product

Low profile for $149

We haven't even established if the OP needs a low profile card or not because the OP has not specified the width of the case. My guess would be that a low profile card is not needed, as is the case with most OEM PCs.
In that case, after rebate, he can have his card for $99.

The 750Ti will play almost any current game at 1080p adequately for a LOT of users.
Most games will do high settings around 45-50FPS, which still plays better than a console. And has higher detail at the same time.

Exactly. Much better than what any APU can pull off.

Need to be looking at Canadian sites, check the OP's links.

Back