• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4690K overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xchecko

Currently running at 4.3 with auto voltage and so far my temps have sat around 30-35c idle with a hyper 212 evo. I have a MSI z97 sli plus.. I want to get maybe 4.4/4.5 but when I boost up the clock in bios it overheats while stress testing.. Any ideas? Maybe manual voltage?

the 4690k won't throttle till 100C. Manually set vcore to 1.25 set multi to 45 and see if it boots. If it does stress test. If it passes the stress test try for 4.6.

80C is fine.. I wouldn't want it much more, but its fine.

the object of overclocking is to pick a clockspeed, and use the lowest voltage to be stable. Auto will not allow you to do that and tends to use more voltage than needed. So yes, go manual and see if you can drop your load voltage and still be stable.

80C is fine.. I wouldn't want it much more, but its fine.

the object of overclocking is to pick a clockspeed, and use the lowest voltage to be stable. Auto will not allow you to do that and tends to use more voltage than needed. So yes, go manual and see if you can drop your load voltage and still be stable.
I'll try that tonight. Should I keep the ringbus as stock? And with the voltage am I keeping it at 1.25 manual or adaptive? Thanks for your input guys.

You should only touch vcore for ambient clock speeds really. There are rare cases where using the ring voltage can help lower/stabilize things but not normally.

Manual or adaptive is your choice. I find manual easier as I don't have to add that value to the base voltage to get the actual load voltage. some prefer to use it as it saves power (negligible).

Last edited:
Okay that sounds perfect. I haven't overclocked in probably 5 years so I'm a bit behind on Intel CPUs. I'll probably shoot for 4.5 stay there unless I'm getting crazy low temps

Just giving an Update to you guys... 4.6 stable with 76C as my max on full load using aida64 for an hour and a half. i set my voltage to 1.25. Thanks for the help!

Nice, now keep going! :D Mine does 4.8 at 1.35v. See how high yours can go with the 1.25v setting then up the voltage if the temperature allows.

Nice, now keep going! :D Mine does 4.8 at 1.35v. See how high yours can go with the 1.25v setting then up the voltage if the temperature allows.

Figured I'd check back in... at 1.25v im getting 4.8 stable. I've upgraded to an H100i and i'm going to keep pushing.

Back