• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marco.da.man

hi guys I was wandering if any off you can help.

I have the following system and after the best way to get the max out off it

amd fx 6100 black edition cpu
asrock n68-vs3 fx
memory Kingston hyper x ddr3 2 x 4gb ram pc3-10700 677mhz
windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
NVidia GeForce 450gts graphics card
currently running at 1.32 voltage roughly

any help is welcome, as my windows score says my cpu score is only 5.0 and I know I really need to get 64 bit windows to make full use off 8gb ram.

or if anyone can suggest upgrades that would help

cheers mark

I would start from new motherboard. This board will let you on light OC without raising voltage much. So all you can do is to raise CPU ratio and check how high it will go. 1.32V should let you pass 4GHz easily on all cores. Maybe something like 4.2GHz will be possible but I wouldn't count on much more.

Also don't look at windows cpu score. It only says what applications from windows store will work on this CPU ... what is not even true.

thanks a lot where am I best to go into for overclocking ? asrock os tuner or bios ?

as never tinkled with it before

also what motherboard would you recommend the 990fx ?

OC utilities can induce more instability then they are worth, Overclock from your bios.

For a motherboard .... well that depends on where you want to go as far as an OC is concerned. If you want the ability now or possibly in the future to chase the big OC with an FX 6or 8core processor there really is only 3 or 4 motherboards we recommend.

ASUS CHVz
ASUS Sabertoother
ASROCK EXT9

and somewhat

Gygabite GA 97A UD3p
Gygabyte 990FXA UD3 REV 1 or 4 only. NOTE this is a very tentative mention as many users with the UD3 have had issues with the various revisions.

There are a couple of lesser boards that can give you a mild OC with the FX chips depending on your wants for an OC. They don't come to mind right off the top of mu head but I am sure someone will drop by and mention them.

990FX gigabyte mobos are a big no. Let's say personal experience :) Better stick to ASUS/ASRock.

For the Fx 6100 you can also use an Asus M5A99X Evo, Asus M5A990 Fx Pro or Asus M5A97 Evo R 2.0 they should all be good enough to get a 6 core to mid 4's without issue. You will also need to address cooling if you're overclocking. So you may want to pick up an aftermarket heatsink such as a Cooler Master 212 Evo and also make sure you have adequate case air flow.

thank you guys what about asrock 990fx motherboard, is that ok ? one presumes the cool master 212 is water cooling ?
is there a case at right price you guys can recommend for me

thank you guys what about asrock 990fx motherboard, is that ok ? one presumes the cool master 212 is water cooling ?
is there a case at right price you guys can recommend for me

Which Asrock 990FX?
No a Cooler Master 212 Evo is an Air heatsink. It's usually around $25-30 and one of the best bangs for your buch.

To help you best....... what is your goal in your over clock. Now and in the future. If it is just a mild OC or you looking to squeeze out every last MHZ out of your CPU.

"bassnut" is n0t pulling your leg at all. If you state an overclock...well the board recommendation will likely be good "only" at that rate of overclock. So need in you thinking to state a low number and "oh well I can get more". These guys don't work like that because there are just too many boards that are not good enough to hold up under the load of an 8 Core FX processor in overlocked mode. When you go into any form of manual overclock the FX cpu immediately begins to run outside AMD spec and all 8 of the cores come on and the overclock goes to all 8 cores. Not at all like AMD designed the FX processor to function.

RGone...

To help you best....... what is your goal in your over clock. Now and in the future. If it is just a mild OC or you looking to squeeze out every last MHZ out of your CPU.

once again thanks, I have never tried oc before, and from what I hear the fx 6100 black edition should hit 4.7, but I was thinking more 4.0/4.2 to be safe.
I realise I might need extra cooling and all, would anyone recommend water cooling ?
also looking at my case it could do with replacing, is there any with multiple fans around for a good price ?

once again thanks, I have never tried oc before, and from what I hear the fx 6100 black edition should hit 4.7, but I was thinking more 4.0/4.2 to be safe.
I realise I might need extra cooling and all, would anyone recommend water cooling ?
also looking at my case it could do with replacing, is there any with multiple fans around for a good price ?
Shoulda, Coulda, we here these things all the time marco. We also have seen a lot of Fx chips come through this forum, not many 6100's of late though. Everything is dependent on the components assembled when it comes to "how far" a chip will go. At this point of our conversation you should help us help you by creating a signature such as what you see at the bottom of this post. Knowing all the components in your system and seeing them with every post is helpful to us. This way one doesn't have to scroll back to the top to see what we are dealing with, everytime. Now back to the post. Can your chip do 4.7 sure it may be able to, highly doubtful on that motherboard and without really good cooling. If you're only looking for a mild Oc I would again suggest the cooler master 212 Evo. I do not recommend getting an AIO watercooling setup unless you go big with it, such as a the Cooler Master Glacier 240l. You can try and Oc your chip on the board you have when you get better cooling. Note: If you do try to, on your board, you could kill the board and take the rest of the components with it.

In your last post you asked about the Asrock 990fx board and still haven't answered which one?
As far as case fans go, if your looking for decent fans that are inexpensive these are tough to beat.

Back