• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to configure SMPT to make my IP cam send pictures upon motion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sharkydog

Registered
HI there guys/girls.
I need some help.

I'm aving difficulty figuring out what 'SMPT' is and how to set it up for my IP Cam, so it can send pictures using this SMPT to another email account. When it camera detects movement.

So my Ip-Cam configuration for this SMPT/email looks like this:

capture_002_23032015_012208.jpg

I don't understand what to put in what field. I'm assuming;

SMPT server address: my internet providers webmail smtp server? (smtp.provider.com or existingemail.smpt.provider.com?)
Senders email address: [email protected] ?
recipients email address: [email protected] ?
username: ??of which email address??
password: ??of which email address??

Does the 'senders email address' need to be of the same provider which smpt-server is used?
And does the smpt-server needs to be the of the provider my router is connected to?

I need help figuring this out, and Thanks :-/

Hm.. OK. I got it to work by just trying.

So;

SMTP server: SMTP.myinternetprovider.com
senders email: [email protected]
recipient email: [email protected]

But I still can't figure out what the user/pass is for. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong.

Make sure it is set up to monitor areas (on mine you can set hot zones) you want monitored in the hours you set. You may need to adjust the hot zones as well. These things will spam the mess out of you.

I know this is common sense but it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm.. OK. I got it to work by just trying.

So;

SMTP server: SMTP.myinternetprovider.com
senders email: [email protected]
recipient email: [email protected]

But I still can't figure out what the user/pass is for. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong.

Make sure it is set up to monitor areas (on mine you can set hot zones) you want monitored in the hours you set. You may need to adjust the hot zones as well. These things will spam the mess out of you.

I know this is common sense but it happens.

username and password is for if you have to authenticate to the SMTP server for it to send/receive messages.

You might not have set up a webmail account with your ISP (I know I didn't), so you might have to call them to get the username and password. Or, you can just create a free Gmail account and use it.

Back