• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Concerning the Crosshair V Formula Z.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andaco

Hello everyone I am a new member. I am about to start watercooling on the Crosshair V Formula Z and have hit a problem. I bought an EK Full Cover block for the board but then noticed that it does not cover the SB 850 chip. Does this mean that it does not need anything other than the stock cooler, or do I need another cooling block for it?

I see the space for it, it's really tight under the graphics card, does not allow for much.

Should I need an extra cooler for it, could someone recmmend one?

Thanks.

:welcome: to OCFs.

Give us a list of your system to better assist you and which block exactly it is.

I'm sorry, there is no system yet. Because of the problem described, it has not been built. What I need is for someone that has successfully watercooled the Crosshair motherboard to tell me whether or not they had to watercool the SB 850 part of the chipset. If so, which cooling block did they use given the tight space between it and a graphics card.

Thank you for trying to help.

the crosshair-5-f-z board does not need any watercooling at all vrm, nb or sb, we all use fans.
I have to say a fully watercooled board looks cool. those of us that have pressed them into the mid 5's have not found water on the board needed.

I have cooled the Northbrige / VRM's if you are going to go down that road make sure you get the right water block as there is a non Z block that will not fit. As far as performance goes my CPU Socket temps closely follow my Core temps till I get to the HIGHER OC like 4.8 GHZ before the two temps tend to separate a bit say 5*C - 6*C. I do have some cooling on the backside of my motherboard a small 80mm fan sucking warm air out and away from my CPU Socket area as well. I never did cool my Southbridge chip just left the stock cooler on. In the AMD section I am the only currently that I know of that has their Mother Board water cooled. There was 1 other guy but I think he took the block out because it started leaking. I honestly can't say cooling my chipset has helped me get a better OC, what it has done has helped keep my socket temps very close to my CPU Core temps generally between 2*C - 4*C that's about it.

Well,thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it I think that just about closes this question.

Thanks again!

Back