• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TITAN X SLI bottleneck question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hello guys I have a single titan x in my pc right now but im buying a second one next month. I am worried about potential bottle necks . Here is my specs
core i7 4770k 4.2 ghz oc
16 gb ddr3 ram 1600 mhz
asus maxim us vi hero sli board
1000w psu evga g2
I'm worried about cpu first. Would it slow down my titan x sli . I'm gaming at 1440p gsync enabled. Secondly if you put two cards on my board each card runns at 8x bandwidth. Would that hurt my fps
thanks

You will want to push the cpu to get the most out of cards, yes.

As far as losses for 8x/8x, about 1-2%.

That's a lot of horsepower for just a single monitor 1440p...one titan x is plenty, no?

So you suggest getting a faster cpu ?
Maybe I should. Well I have 144 hertz and gsync so I want alot of horse power

There isn't really a faster cpu. Just overclock the one you have further. Don't misunderstand me, it will be fine, but it's a glass ceiling that will raise with clock speed. Not sure how many %, but I can't imagine it to be much...

There isn't really a faster cpu. Just overclock thmie one you have further. Don't misunderstand me, it will be fine, but it's a glass ceiling that will raise with clock speed. Not sure how many %, but I can't imagine it to be much...
I'm afraid that 4.2 is the max I could go :( . Tried going further but it won't let me. Do you suggest a 4790k .

I'd start another thread on your overclocking woes to make sure it's a chip limit (lowest I would have seen...) or if it's a setting that may have been missed. I don't think it's worth an upgrade regardless as you are really just wringing the rag dry at this point...

Hello guys I have a single titan x in my pc right now but im buying a second one next month. I am worried about potential bottle necks . Here is my specs
core i7 4770k 4.2 ghz oc
16 gb ddr3 ram 1600 mhz
asus maxim us vi hero sli board
1000w psu evga g2
I'm worried about cpu first. Would it slow down my titan x sli . I'm gaming at 1440p gsync enabled. Secondly if you put two cards on my board each card runns at 8x bandwidth. Would that hurt my fps
thanks

From what I've seen with the Titan X, triple SLI introduced the bottleneck. I don't suspect you'll see it with 2. Anywho, here's a reference if you haven't seen it already for details. 2 will definitely slay anything at 1440p Hell, Dragon Age Inquisition still puts a strain on my dual 980 SLI's @ 1440p.

http://www.maximumpc.com/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_x_sli_benchmarks_2015

From what I've seen with the Titan X, triple SLI introduced the bottleneck. I don't suspect you'll see it with 2. Anywho, here's a reference if you haven't seen it already for details. 2 will definitely slay anything at 1440p Hell, Dragon Age Inquisition still puts a strain on my dual 980 SLI's @ 1440p.

Witcher fan here :) I am going two titan x to hopefully max that game out when it comes out . I will get the second titan x and see how well my cpu handles it . if all breaks loose I,ll just ditch the entire board and go x99

I agree two Titan's will put a hurting on it, particularly at 1440p.

Good link for 4K information, but the OP is at 1440p. Do you have any of those up your sleeve that may show the 'glass ceiling' I am talking about?

I agree two Titan's will put a hurting on it, particularly at 1440p.

Good link for 4K information, but the OP is at 1440p. Do you have any of those up your sleeve that may show the 'glass ceiling' I am talking about?

I thought 1440p was high enough not to put a strain on the cpu . i guess i was wrong

The reality is it will be fine. It would not be remotely crippling. But last I recall in several titles, big cards like these do tend to hit a glass ceiling of sorts. Its not worth it to get another CPU, but would be worth it to work out a higher overclock IMO.

The reality is it will be fine. It would not be remotely crippling. But last I recall in several titles, big cards like these do tend to hit a glass ceiling of sorts. Its not worth it to get another CPU, but would be worth it to work out a higher overclock IMO.
Tried 4.3 with no luck. This is on 1.33v and cpu load line maxed out . I could raise the voltage but my cpu would run in high 70s in gaming . Is that fine

CPU is good to the 80s. 1.33v seems high though...

... as I said, its better to start a new thread on this overclocking subject. :)

At 1440 with two OG Titans on a i7-970, it was solid. You won't bottleneck anything.

What that means is the Xs aren't going to break a sweat to care about the CPU.

My 4670k at 4.6ghz bottlenecks my SLI TitanX's in everything except synthetic benchmarks. DX12 will probably fix this issue but by then I will probably be on Skylake anyways. I wouldn't have expected it since I saw no bottleneck with my Titan Blacks even highly overclocked. I literally get the same scores right now in Valley and Heaven that I did with my Titan Blacks maybe 10% higher at most. But my graphics score in 3DMark was quite insane at 49k which is a huge improvement over my Titan Blacks 30-40%.

It's really tempting to just upgrade to X99/Haswell-E, but I'll probably just wait until Skylake in July/August. Been debating it the last few weeks.

My 4670k at 4.6ghz bottlenecks my SLI TitanX's in everything except synthetic benchmarks. DX12 will probably fix this issue but by then I will probably be on Skylake anyways. I wouldn't have expected it since I saw no bottleneck with my Titan Blacks even highly overclocked. I literally get the same scores right now in Valley and Heaven that I did with my Titan Blacks maybe 10% higher at most. But my graphics score in 3DMark was quite insane at 49k which is a huge improvement over my Titan Blacks 30-40%.

It's really tempting to just upgrade to X99/Haswell-E, but I'll probably just wait until Skylake in July/August. Been debating it the last few weeks.

I doubt that CPU is slowing down your cards.

The valley and heaven results he mentioned are tell the story... It's not a cpu dependent test in the least (I've seen 50 point increases from stock to 4.9 ghz on single card).

To find out for sure, push the over clocking on his cpu and see if the score goes up. I think you will be surprised at the increase.

That is, assuming he is using highest settings on beaven/hwbot extreme version...

I also,speak out of experience with my 295x2... it takes upwards of 4.6 in heaven to let them stretch their legs.

Apso, this shows it too. Though I wish it wouldo have went past 4.5 ghz as in some graphic titles it keeps scaling.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1257&page=14

Last edited:
Back