• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH FX 8350 OC TO 4.6 GHZ (FOR NOW) :d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NB to 1.2v
240 might be a little lofty. Most wind up in the 210 +/- range with the appropriate multiplier.
it keeps failing with rounding error. But if iincrease vcore it will be the same as using only the multiplier,temp wise-.-

raise the fsb by 5, then run prime95 blend for 20 minutes yes.
If it passes, do it again, if not you could raise the NB volts (not CPU NB volts!) until you hit 1.2, though if you did as scott said and set it to 1.2 already, then back off the FSB by2 until you are stable again.

Is this the case you have???

Rather different design than what is seen in many newer cases. Most cases that we deal with have a fan in the lower front that blows air into the case and since hot air rises we generally expect the upper rear panel fan to exhaust the hot air out of the case. Is there n0 front fan? Need to know exactly where you have gans mounted. There are three 92mm fans that can blow into the HDD area and because of that Chieftec might not have made place for front of case fan. Seems a For Sale Overseas only fan and we may not have ever seen one in the Usa?

If there is n0 front fan and you only have the two toward rear of side panel fans installed and a rear exhaust...you would likely be better served not to worry too much yet about buying a big money rear Noctua fan and get some better middle of the road 92mm fans to get some air into the case where the 3 fan locations are in sidepanel toward the front of case.

When not blowing air thru a radiator be it a water radiator or an air cooling radiator, then you might think in terms of pressure. In the situation related to case cooling; I am not sure I have ever heard anyone speak about using high pressure fans to cycle air in and out of case. Not saying it is not a thought for consideration but normally pressure is not a real consideration since you need volume to 'turn-over' the amount of air in the case and get the hot air out and replaced by cooler outside air. Just my thinking in general and not having seen such a case design that I remember.

RGone...

Rather different design than what is seen in many newer cases. Most cases that we deal with have a fan in the lower front that blows air into the case and since hot air rises we generally expect the upper rear panel fan to exhaust the hot air out of the case. Is there n0 front fan? Need to know exactly where you have gans mounted. There are three 92mm fans that can blow into the HDD area and because of that Chieftec might not have made place for front of case fan. Seems a For Sale Overseas only fan and we may not have ever seen one in the Usa?

If there is n0 front fan and you only have the two toward rear of side panel fans installed and a rear exhaust...you would likely be better served not to worry too much yet about buying a big money rear Noctua fan and get some better middle of the road 92mm fans to get some air into the case where the 3 fan locations are in sidepanel toward the front of case.

When not blowing air thru a radiator be it a water radiator or an air cooling radiator, then you might think in terms of pressure. In the situation related to case cooling; I am not sure I have ever heard anyone speak about using high pressure fans to cycle air in and out of case. Not saying it is not a thought for consideration but normally pressure is not a real consideration since you need volume to 'turn-over' the amount of air in the case and get the hot air out and replaced by cooler outside air. Just my thinking in general and not having seen such a case design that I remember.

RGone...

Hi, i did a little case project, showing my case airflow..hope is clear. Should i change something?ok for the 90 fan, i'll buy that,1 or 2 fans?

Attachments

• PROGETTO CASE-Model.pdf
    11.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

RGone...

It is kind of an old school case. And an odd duck at that.

Hi, i did a little case project, showing my case airflow..hope is clear. Should i change something?ok for the 90 fan, i'll buy that,1 or 2 fans?

I would get some fans in the front as RGone said. I am not a fan of fans that are side mounted. I would think they actually reduce airflow and create turbulence.

It is kind of an old school case. And an odd duck at that.

I would get some fans in the front as RGone said. I am not a fan of fans that are side mounted. I would think they actually reduce airflow and create turbulence.

The problem is in the front, there are no slots for fan. I can put a large fun not fixed, on the dvd writer, is the only thing i can do,if it would help

Kilyan, I am like C_J61 in that I am not a fan of side-mounted fans either. Most anything within the case they seem to blow across the direction of other fans airflow and mess with it. However in your situation...it is try and work around the issue or get a later designed case. Even some of them leave a lot to be desired.

Now looking at the case at Chief Tek com it seems they intended the 92mm fans (3) of them to be mounted on the left door side. The one normally used to go in and out of the case to work on top of mobo and not be looking at the desolate back of mobo. BUT you have a single 92mm fan mounted in the right side of the case behind those dimpled outlet looking vents. If there is room for "more" fans over there and an air *director* toward the rear of the case I would utilize fans with diverter to force the air toward rear of the case. Bent or formed card board can turn the air from the right side OR even from either side until it blows to the rear. Or maybe if nothing is in the Optical drive bays...well then a 120mm high flow (not pressure) blowing into the case but I doubt there is place for such fan to get air in. Divert airflow from either side mounted fan group (right side preferred since it is not gone into much) seems best choice with that case.

Now to the bottom fan you installed (I think); it does little good for case flow blowing head on AT the video card. Not to me and my thinking.

Rear fan. Most case fans that come within the case from manufacturer are not the best. I know they make and sell high pressure/high flow fans. I bought some here in Usa from Cooler Master > JetFlo by name. 120mm and right at 100CFM. Not cheap. Sure they sell such in your part of the world.

I would try fans with diverted air to rear of case with a HI Flow fan at rear exhausting air OuT of the case. Would make your Air Cooler for cpu so much more workable.

My thinking around an odd case situation. Plus you seem capable of 'doing' once a direction is charted. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

EDIT:
Holiday. Going to be away from computer for a while.
END EDIT.

Kilyan, I am like C_J61 in that I am not a fan of side-mounted fans either. Most anything within the case they seem to blow across the direction of other fans airflow and mess with it. However in your situation...it is try and work around the issue or get a later designed case. Even some of them leave a lot to be desired.

Now looking at the case at Chief Tek com it seems they intended the 92mm fans (3) of them to be mounted on the left door side. The one normally used to go in and out of the case to work on top of mobo and not be looking at the desolate back of mobo. BUT you have a single 92mm fan mounted in the right side of the case behind those dimpled outlet looking vents. If there is room for "more" fans over there and an air *director* toward the rear of the case I would utilize fans with diverter to force the air toward rear of the case. Bent or formed card board can turn the air from the right side OR even from either side until it blows to the rear. Or maybe if nothing is in the Optical drive bays...well then a 120mm high flow (not pressure) blowing into the case but I doubt there is place for such fan to get air in. Divert airflow from either side mounted fan group (right side preferred since it is not gone into much) seems best choice with that case.

Now to the bottom fan you installed (I think); it does little good for case flow blowing head on AT the video card. Not to me and my thinking.

Rear fan. Most case fans that come within the case from manufacturer are not the best. I know they make and sell high pressure/high flow fans. I bought some here in Usa from Cooler Master > JetFlo by name. 120mm and right at 100CFM. Not cheap. Sure they sell such in your part of the world.

I would try fans with diverted air to rear of case with a HI Flow fan at rear exhausting air OuT of the case. Would make your Air Cooler for cpu so much more workable.

My thinking around an odd case situation. Plus you seem capable of 'doing' once a direction is charted. Luck man.

RGone...ster.

EDIT:
Holiday. Going to be away from computer for a while.
END EDIT.

For now i followed your advice, i took off the case the little fans, and put the cpu fun i used with arctic frrezer extreme 2,a 120 mm fan that has nice airflow.
I could hang it where the metallic cage of the hdds is, and seems i earned 4 degrees. Now i have a unique airflow going in the direction of the rear case.
Now i think i'll build the bent paper pipe so there is no dispesion of airflow, ill just get the material at work tomorrow, we have ton of trashed bent paper boxes, noone will matter if i take some:D
But maybe i will change the case, it's 10 years old,or maybe even more,even if is a tower and has lot of space in it(but where to put the wires...thei are all in the way)
any suggestion about what could be good? i'd always loved the cooler master haf x,personally it's too expensive, 150 euros O_O. Must say the chieftech was 90 euros,not so cheap

Last edited:
You could get a hole saw and cut a 4.5" hole in the front of the case and mount a 120 mm fan.

Nah, i don't have the right hand for such work
Anyway back to fsb overclocking, i noticed the ht link doen't change increasing the fsb, i don't think is normal.
When increasing the fsb by 5 doesn't make to boot the pc, what should i do? seems doesn't go past 215

I was referring to this part.

You're right where you should be.

Hi, when i said htlink and cpu nb clock doesn't change, seems only the mobo won't show the changes, but on cpuz they are modified for good.
So i was able to get stable 225 fsb in 2 ways: once i added +0.10 (1210),booted and passed 20 minutes prime,than i moved back the nb voltage to 1200 and tried adding +0.25 to nb core voltage, and i got the same result...WTF?Oo...the ram is at 1800 and the timings i see are automatically changed from 9 to 11. So there are more ways to work on the voltages...that is kind of pain in the arse

..the ram is at 1800 and the timings i see are automatically changed from 9 to 11. So there are more ways to work on the voltages...that is kind of pain in the arse

GIGABYTE 990XA- UD3 REV 3.1 << That is your pain in the arse. Gigabyte has released so many Rev's of the baords that is impossible to keep up with what did not work, might work now with newer Rev and what DID work now no longer works like before.

Additionally the DDR3-1800 you mention, might be too much of an overclock on DDR3-1600 ram.

RGone...

GIGABYTE 990XA- UD3 REV 3.1 << That is your pain in the arse. Gigabyte has released so many Rev's of the baords that is impossible to keep up with what did not work, might work now with newer Rev and what DID work now no longer works like before.

Additionally the DDR3-1800 you mention, might be too much of an overclock on DDR3-1600 ram.

RGone...

You mean stability wise, or ram health wise? I did some project of the pipe, could be good anithing like this?

Attachments

• PROGETTO CASE-Model.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 48
Back