• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Realtemp ideal temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, folks, the light has now been shed on the problem as the OP sent me some additional HWMonitor pic that shows values under load. His bios is assigning 1.248 to the vcore under load at stock frequencies. No wonder it's running hot!

JDM, take your CPU Vcore off of "Auto" and set it manually to 1.2 for now.

Okay, it's my beddy bye time. Tomorrow.

Attachments

• Air-flow.png
    Air-flow.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
JDM, here's a pic of HWMonitor from my system after running IBT. Notice how much lower my max vcore is than yours. Please attach that pic of HWMonitor you sent me via PM so the community can see it. The point is I don't think you need that much vcore at stock frequencies.

Attachments

• highvcore.JPG
    highvcore.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 39
Oh wow. that's a big difference between mine.

Here's something i noticed after changing Vcore to 1.2

1) Memory Frequency is 1866 but System memory multiplier stays at 18.67
2) It seems like CPU V core won't change to 1.2.
It still shows 1.212V on CPU status.
However, on CPU-Z, Core voltage shows 1.198
On HWmonitor, it shows 1.212V MAX at idle.

I tried switching the ON/OFF sign next to VCORE on BIOS to ON. But it won't stay at ON.
Also, Tried Changing CPU clock ratio to 40 from AUTO. But VCORE won't stay changed at 1.2

**i have attached a screenshot of my HWmonitor after running IBT

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Try taking the CPU ratio off of Auto and manually setting it to 40.

Take CPU vcore offset off of Auto and assign a manual value. Will it allow you to assign a negative value to the offset?

Someting is heavily supplementing your vcore under load.

Since you are using AS5, it does require a little curing time. It takes about 200 hours of use for it to cure.

"During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

When i was using AS5, that was about it, may a little more. I prefer tim that doesn't need any curing time, besides most of the brands are all within a few degrees of each other, imo.

I spent a long time last night trying to figure out but havent figured out..
i tried setting cpu ratio to 40 and 41 manually.
i cannot get the vcore offset to turn on. Its greyed out.
Someone said that settint VCORE to Normal instead of 1.2 then offset becomes available but i don't have NORMAL option under VCORE.
Also tried changing around LLC but no chance..

Try taking the CPU ratio off of Auto and manually setting it to 40.

Take CPU vcore offset off of Auto and assign a manual value. Will it allow you to assign a negative value to the offset?

Someting is heavily supplementing your vcore under load.

Last edited:
Well, this may be a bios bug you are dealing with. My experience with Gigabyte motherboards over the years is that they are ruggedly built from a hardware perspective but they seem to have more bios issues than other brands. It might be moot point if you had better cooling. What's odd to me is that your vcore exceeds your VID. I will say that your temps should be lower than they are at stock settings with that cooler. I will also say that cooler will not give you much overclocking room at all so if a good overclock is your goal you still need to get better cooling, regardless of any bios issues that may be present.

Have you tried disabling Turbo mode? I would try that and see what effect that has on voltages.

I changed from F10c to F9 and i can adjust VCORE OFFSET!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm trying -.010V from offset.

Well, this may be a bios bug you are dealing with. My experience with Gigabyte motherboards over the years is that they are ruggedly built from a hardware perspective but they seem to have more bios issues than other brands. It might be moot point if you had better cooling. What's odd to me is that your vcore exceeds your VID. I will say that your temps should be lower than they are at stock settings with that cooler. I will also say that cooler will not give you much overclocking room at all so if a good overclock is your goal you still need to get better cooling, regardless of any bios issues that may be present.

Have you tried disabling Turbo mode? I would try that and see what effect that has on voltages.

Last edited:
I'm sorry... I have read through this thread twice... but I seemed to have missed the problem here? It is quite common to have whatever voltage is set in the bios not to match what is in windows. If you are at 1.21v idle and go to 1.24v load, that isn't really a bad thing. Its like having LLC enabled.

So, can someone tell me what we are chasing here? My apologies if I missed it.

Remember, every CPU is different! So just because one says .96 under load (which for the record is LOW), and another says 1.2v, doesn't mean there is an issue...

vcore was set to Normal and Vcore offset was set to -.010. Vcore Ratio was set to 40 from AUTO.

MAX CPU VCORE is 1.092 after testing!!! max temp. it hit was 74!!

Should i bring down the Voltage more?

- - - Updated - - -

My problem was that i was not able to change the VCORE volt. on BIOS. During testing, MAX voltage was 1.21v causing my max temp. to go up even though i have a cooler.

Now that i successfully lowered the VCORE volt to 1.092 (says HWMonitor) my max temp. is 74

I'm sorry... I have read through this thread twice... but I seemed to have missed the problem here? It is quite common to have whatever voltage is set in the bios not to match what is in windows. If you are at 1.21v idle and go to 1.24v load, that isn't really a bad thing. Its like having LLC enabled.

So, can someone tell me what we are chasing here? My apologies if I missed it.

Remember, every CPU is different! So just because one says .96 under load (which for the record is LOW), and another says 1.2v, doesn't mean there is an issue...

So... did you try with everything left on auto and see if this bios still 'overvolts' (if it is actually overvolting) or did you flash and immediately change the offset? Which, by the way, a -.01 offset, you are lucky to even see a difference with such a tiny value. Did you mean .10?

So... did you try with everything left on auto and see if this bios still 'overvolts' (if it is actually overvolting) or did you flash and immediately change the offset? Which, by the way, a -.01 offset, you are lucky to even see a difference with such a tiny value. Did you mean .10?

They were auto before but it still overvolted.
And i was not seeing NORMAL under cpu VCORE list on F10C. I changed to F9 BIOS and i could find NORMAL option.
And once i changed to NORMAL, VCORE offset became available.

Attachments

• sdfasdf.JPG
    sdfasdf.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 150723132737.jpg
    150723132737.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
In your bios you set it to 1.2 and were getting 1.24... not sure what the problem is. Did you set it to 1.1v and it didn't stick somewhere around there on load? And when it was auto it was 1.24v on load?

I am still trying to figure out what the problem actually is!

Bring down your voltage as much as you can while still being stable at any given CPU speed. If you are going to overclock the thing then leave the voltage where it is and see how far you can get with it before having to increase it in order to make it stable again.

I would also manually set the cache ratio to 40x. If the cache ratio is allowed to increase along with the CPU ratio then instability can often result because the cache can't keep up. And there is essentially no performance penalty for limiting the cache.

- - - Updated - - -

ED, his temps were sky high at stock frequency when stuff was on auto. The bios was automatically assigning far to much vcore for the frequency level. We were trying to figure out how to get that voltage down. His beta bios seems to have been the culprit.

In your bios you set it to 1.2 and were getting 1.24... not sure what the problem is. Did you set it to 1.1v and it didn't stick somewhere around there on load? And when it was auto it was 1.24v on load?

I am still trying to figure out what the problem actually is!

Maybe Trents can word it better than i can lol
Previously, on BIOS, it read 1.21 or 1.248 V. So i was trying to change the value to 1.20V. Or whatever value. It wouldn't let me change to ANY value.
Whatever i did, the value was 1.24 SOLID.

finally we are going somewhere now.
here's what i'm doing.

I set the Uncore ratio to 40x. (i don't change this value anymore right?)

playing around with how much to raise CPU ratio and voltage

Should i mess with LLC or leave it AUTO?

Bring down your voltage as much as you can while still being stable at any given CPU speed. If you are going to overclock the thing then leave the voltage where it is and see how far you can get with it before having to increase it in order to make it stable again.

I would also manually set the cache ratio to 40x. If the cache ratio is allowed to increase along with the CPU ratio then instability can often result because the cache can't keep up. And there is essentially no performance penalty for limiting the cache.

- - - Updated - - -

ED, his temps were sky high at stock frequency when stuff was on auto. The bios was automatically assigning far to much vcore for the frequency level. We were trying to figure out how to get that voltage down. His beta bios seems to have been the culprit.

Back