• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking my FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireZerg

My 8350 hits a wall at 4.4GHz... It might be able to get 4.5GHz stable, but it'd be running 1.6 bios-set/1.55v idle/1.5v load. I'm thinking of trying FSB overclocking, and I've been able to get to 4.4GHz stable with 220 FSB, but 4.5GHz gets messy again.

How should I procedurally increase values during FSB overclocking? It seems there must be a way to keep the CPU-NB, HT link, and RAM stable while only focusing on the CPU. Is the mobo-NB voltage a large factor in higher FSB numbers (220+)? Will my 16 GB (2x8), 1866, CL 9 RAM have a significant effect on my ability to cross the frequency wall?

If I can get this bad boy overclocked well, I might just skip Skylake...

Last edited:
It would help to know more of what you are working with system wise if I remember correctly isn't it an MSI board? That much voltage really shouldn't be necessary for that clock. That's a lot. The one person I know who has had success overclocking on that board said that you have to use MSI software to do it.
If you haven't read any guides check the one in my sig it may help and yes the first thing I'd likely do is up the CPU_NB voltage to help with the ram.

Thanks Johan45 for taking a jab at my situation.

Here is my relevant system specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB @ 1866 MHz
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290x
PSU: Corsair AX850
Cooling: RayStorm 750 EX280

I am aware of the issue with overclocking though the BIOS. However, I found a work-around that performs very well. Using the software BIOS editor in Windows is very buggy, often it will outright freeze, requiring a reboot to continue. I've also experienced abnormal throttling (Although, I believe that is from another BIOS editor provided by MSI). As open as I am, I am willing to try it again, but for the time being. I will be using my work-around in the BIOS.

Basically, when you clear the CMOS and first enter the BIOS, the CPU core voltage is unlocked. But when you restart, and enter the BIOS, the voltage is limited to 1.44v pre-vdroop (Meaning around 1.38 load).

To get around this, you must save the unlocked BIOS to a profile. When you load the profile, the setting are unlocked and you may adjust them as such (when you save and exit the BIOS [note: saving to the actual BIOS, not a profile], the unlocked settings will save properly).

Basically here is the process for using the MSI 990FXA-GD80 unlocked:

Initial setup (only perform once):

1. Clear the CMOS.
2. Load into BIOS.
3. Save fresh, unlocked BIOS to profile.
4. Save and exit BIOS.

During overclocking (must perform every time you boot into BIOS):

1. Load into BIOS.
2. Load fresh, unlocked BIOS profile.
3. Make changes to unlocked BIOS.
4. Save changed, unlocked BIOS to profile.
5. Save and exit BIOS.

2. Load changed, unlocked BIOS profile

Notice how from here on out, you always will have access to the unlocked BIOS? That is what I'm doing right now.

With that behind us... I would like to talk about the methodology behind overclocking. Many guides I read suggest leaving all values besides the CPU multi and voltage to auto. When I do this, it works fairly well. But I reach a voltage wall at 4.5GHz. In other words, to have a stable overclock at 4.5GHz, I need exorbitant amounts of voltage.

Here is what I'm currently running:

View attachment 166762

As you can tell from the OCCT Monitoring window, the voltage idles around 1.488v (with spikes to 1.496v), but under load it's 1.448v (droops to 1.438v with spikes to 1.462v).

Here is the voltage graph for my stability test:

fqpT9SR.png

This is with custom voltages for CPU core, CPU/NB, RAM, mobo/NB, and HT link. IIRC the CPU/NB and HT link are both at 4.4GHz. With voltages in the mid range as defined by the AMD performance tuning guide.

What method should I use to increase the CPU clock that will probably be the most stable?

Last edited:
Right now what I would like to see are shots of CPUz main, spd and memory tabs. I would like to see what you have going for bus and memory speeds currently. Since you have increased the FSB to 220 have you altered anything else? I would also like to see HWMonitor free version under load since I don't know if OCCT shows both the temps we need to monitor

What method should I use to increase the CPU clock that will probably be the most stable?

What method would be more/most stable with that crippled motherboard is anyone's guess. Actually overclocking is all trial and error anyway. No two systems overclock the same because of variations in cpus and often ram and how cool the overall system can function with.

Most of us push the cpu speed up with the Cpu Multipliers and then fine-tune to see if there is any extra cpu speed to be had by adjusting the HT Ref Freq upwards.

Been looking at these FX processors in here now nearly 4 years and have only seen 4 instances where the users could not really clock at all by HT Ref Freq so that can happen but in very few instances. But it is certain those few instances are why one size will never fit all.

No matter it all still comes down to what the individual set of parts and pieces will respond to and results you can live with.

RGone...

Off the top of my head...... 1.488v is my CPUv under load for an OC of almost 5.1ghz but I am not getting that kind of VDroop. That being said I would think you would need about 1.45v for 4.5g but where would that leave you for an idea VCORE....... the higher idea VCORE might just take your temps to high......I was once thinking of the board when the fx came out. Wow glad I went Asus.

I'm currently away from home, so I cannot post to many details or screenshots for a few hours.

Both the CPU/NB and HT Link speeds are running at 2400 Hz (220 HT Ref Freq with 12x multi). That means that the CPU/NB is slightly overclocked while the HT Link is actually underclocked (2600 Hz is standard).

RAM is currently at *1760 Hz with CAS latency 10 (It's rated at 1866 CAS 9). *I'm not 100% sure, it could be 1466 Hz. I basically just used the follow to calculate: 1333*220/200 or 1600*220/200.

The CPU/NB voltage is at 1.4v and the HT Link is at 1.27v. (These seemed to be decent values as outlined in AMD's document. Although they are much higher than stock, I think... [MSI doesn't provide stock numbers...] To be honest, I'll probably find the lowest values eventually.).

I've set the RAM voltage at 1.65v. (Again, much higher than stock 1.5v).

My motherboard NB voltage is set to 1.2v. I've set this much higher than stock because of the famous Bulldozer overclock guide. I'm hoping this would help stabilize higher FSB/HT Ref Freq.

There are other voltages that I manually set before, but currently I'm just using "auto." These voltages include PLL, SB, PCI, ect.

All power saving features are disabled and I'm thinking of enabling HPC.

With that information, am I doing anything horribly wrong?

You should enable HPC that might help you out

Not tryin to jack this, but what affect does HPC have on OC'ing, this might be the problem with mine, for some reason I've had it disabled, anyways, hope you get this figured out there FireZerg.

What to hale?

Well for AMD FX, enabling HPC Mode prevents the CPU from lowering its clock rate when the chip is either getting close to going over the TDP, or the motherboard CPU socket temp is approaching too high. However the strict definition of what HPC means in general is not what it means in the case of most AMD single socket motherboards. HPC could mean High Performance Computer OR High Performance Computing and while similar are not really the same.

By the way even some of the AMD AM3+ motherboards treat HPC differently. Gigabyte really wants it disabled and not enabled but Asus or the ones I have work best with HPC Enabled. So it really is down to testing again. You know that old overclocking thing about there is no one size fits all.

RGone...

Not tryin to jack this, but what affect does HPC have on OC'ing, this might be the problem with mine, for some reason I've had it disabled, anyways, hope you get this figured out there FireZerg.

That's APM Bobert, HPC and APM enabled on a Giga. APM off on Asus

So I've backtracked a little so I can slowly approach higher clocks.

From what I've found, with 1.463 BIOS-set voltage, 1.408v idle, and 1.376v load, my 8350 is stable at 4.2GHz.

Here are some screenshots. First, some numbers while under load:

fYTM71v.png

And second, some numbers idling:

NsD4rqz.png

I didn't include OpenHardwareMonitor, but the CPU load and temps look good (100%, under 55 C).

In addition to the CPU voltage, I've set the CPU/NB voltage to 1.35 and the DRAM voltage to 1.45. These numbers are outlined in overclock.net's 8350 overclocking guide to keep things stable. I've set the NB voltage along with every other voltage to "auto."

Are these special numbers? Average maybe? Any feedback would be nice.

From here, I'm thinking of increasing the FSB to 205. Overclocking the CPU clock to ~4.3GHz. Additionally, increasing the other values only slightly. I'll assume any instability will be due to the CPU as the NB, HT link, and DRAM are still running under spec (save for the CPU/NB voltage).

Although, this does cause me to ask... Do you think when I set voltage values to "auto" the motherboard tries to compensate the voltage automatically? I understand every motherboard is different (thus you cannot say for sure), but maybe you can share your experience.

You are likely to have to do...

...do a lot of your own setup and testing of the GD80 board. Because the board does not have CPU_LLC you will have to be always adding Vcore to offset the Vdroop and that is a pure trial and error condition. Painful and for sure painstaking as you have to guesstimate how much extra to add in bios setting to offset the Vdroop under load. Vdroop is hard to guess as it may vary from board to board and from how good the cpu is in not needing or "needing" Cpu Voltage.

I looked on MSI forum and you might register and post there and see if there are any still using the board and may know what is the "latest" deal on overclocking. One of the links below on the GD80 had n0 replies to the question, so I don't know about how popular the board may still be. Worth a try. Maybe they have a user 'with' the board since yours is the first one I have seen in nearly 4 years here in the AMD Cpu Forum section.

This link is from the MSI forum where they do have some users with that motherboard.

Topic: FX-8350 overclocking with 990FXA-GD80 (Read 5465 times)

Unless there are newer revision boards and/or bioses but it takes a Hardware revision to have a working CPU_LLC, then this link verifys what I had been told that there is n0 CPU_LLC on the GD80.

990fxa-gd80 problem with overclock fx-8350

So apparently there is a V2 version of the GD80. I would guess since this post is from Sept of 2013 that you should have at least the V2 version.

Unfortunately there isnt alot of info out there on my motherboard specifically the MSI 990FXA GD80 v2.

From Anandtech:

Scroll down to >> Bulldozer FX-8150 Overclock
Given this voltage limit I saw little point in attempting the other overclock scenarios as they would not be comparable to the other boards.

RGone...

Last edited:
Back