• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a FX-6300 on a cheapo motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlitzOfSBB

Well, I bought this board here https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX_PLUS/ . About a year ago, on a super tight budget for my first gaming rig. Now I know this board isn't the best, I'm not looking to hit 4.7ghz or something like that. But I sold off the R9 270 I had originally paired with my FX-6300, and now I'm looking to buy a GTX 970. I just want to eliminate the small bottleneck I'd have with the stock clocks. Now this board does support the 4ghz 8 core FX-8350. So I'm thinking, maybe I could get my FX-6300 to 3.8-4.2 ghz on this board? Is that a good idea, do I run the risk of damaging my components? Cheers.

BlitzOfSBB, welcome to the forum. Can overclocking on that board be done? Most likely yes. How far no one will really know till you try. You will need to actively cool the VRM/Nb section of the board if it is going to have a chance. The board does not have heatsinks on the VRM section, which provides voltage to the Cpu. When overclocking, you are going to be putting more stress on that section, which is going to create a lot of heat. It is likely that the board will throttle the power, in order to save it's own life when overclocked. If actively cooled it may be ok for a slight overclock. That said, if the VRM section gets hot enough it could fail and yes it could take other parts with it.

Thanks for the welcome Mandrake4565. How would you recommend I cool the vrms? Would I not need to add heatsinks toe the vrms If i stayed within the voltage and clock speeds of the FX-8350? My intuition tells me it should work. But I don't really know much about OCing. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome Mandrake4565. How would you recommend I cool the vrms? Would I not need to add heatsinks toe the vrms If i stayed within the voltage and clock speeds of the FX-8350? My intuition tells me it should work. But I don't really know much about OCing. Cheers.

Yes you would be very well served to put heatsinks on the VRM mosfets and then blow air over the heat sinks.

Now about the statement of staying within some limits for an FX-8350. That is a fallacy.

This is an exerpt from post I made in how to INFO on FX processors.

exerpt said:
I think I would even make a further suggestion and that is if your main criteria for the purchase of your AMD AM3+ motherboard is cheap price...then you are not going to be prepared from the outset, for the rigors of overclocking an FX- 6 or 8 core processor as many of us that help around do overclock.

For those with cheap as their main purchasing criteria, it is probably best to forget the hefty overclocks you hear about all over the net and leave the overclocking to the FX processor itself which has Turbo Core built within for doing its' own overclocking where it deems it is advised and within the realms of safety.

KNOW this for a certainty, that when you overclock like most of us overclock you have IMMEDIATELY thrown AMD's specs for TDP on the trash pile. AMD has specified parameters within the FX processor that should almost exclusively save the cheaper motherboard from the scrap pile over time and should also give a pleasuable user experience which should include a mild upclock of the processor speed within AMD specs and implementation of the motherboard manufacturer.

Let it also be KNOWN that the 'instant' you induce your own manually set multiplier into the bios and thus by the designs of overclocking, you disable C1/E, TurboCore, C6 and Disable Cool N Quiet you have forced every core on your FX processor to GO to work. Not just half will be upclocked slightly as TurboCore does but 'everyone/ALL' of the cores will become overclocked and the specified TDP set out by AMD is both null and void. At this point in time it becomes almost a mute point as to whether you Disable APM or Enable HPC, the die is cast for the need for cooling and substantial VRM circuitry.

If you did not see all this coming and suddenly believe you have gotten into a forum section where the Mobo Police live and are always stressing to buy good, hefty and workable components and may seem always dissing your thought economical system purchases, you should or could have seen it coming. Without fail we have preached very much the same message now nearly 4 years. The message has not changed and in truth cannot if a user wants a good stable overclock much beyond the 4.2GHz speed with stability and expected long and healthy life span of his system components while using a 6 or 8 core FX processor. There is just too much heat and power draw to contend with to blithely say, I want to overclock my FX processor.

Your results will be based on how much effort you want to expend in trying to get the VRMs cooler so they don't give trouble especially if you don't have really good cpu cooling and then it needs a lot of voltage. Honestly we expend a lot of energy trying to keep people out of trouble. Take the burden on your own shoulders and see what your own stuff will do. That is the real proof.

RGone...

I'm confused, didn't you say it was a Fx 6300 in the first post? I would not recommend Ocing the 8350 on that board. If you really feel the need, you can either put fans blowing directly on the mosfet area and also add heatsinks. The fan will do you more good then the heatsinks, so if it's one or the other get a fan. That said, if you really want to Oc a Fx chip on ambient cooling a higher end motherboard with a minimum of a 6+2 power phase Vrm section and heatsinks.

I'm confused, didn't you say it was a Fx 6300 in the first post? I would not recommend Ocing the 8350 on that board. If you really feel the need, you can either put fans blowing directly on the mosfet area and also add heatsinks. The fan will do you more good then the heatsinks, so if it's one or the other get a fan. That said, if you really want to Oc a Fx chip on ambient cooling a higher end motherboard with a minimum of a 6+2 power phase Vrm section and heatsinks.

It is an FX-6300. You misunderstood me, I mean't if I overclocked my FX-6300, but did not exceed the voltages and clock speeds of the 8350(since this board supports the 8350). However, this question was already answered by Rgone. Cheers.

It'll overclock fine within your expectations.

FX-6300 - Pstate 3800mhz -
#2: 3800 MHz, 1.4125V
Would be a good indicator of what voltage you'd run with this chip at this speed. The same voltage is set for up to 4.1ghz turbo.

I don't see any reason your board couldn't accomplish that, given you can cool the recommended p-state voltage of 1.4125v.

Actively cooling VRM and chipsets is of the norm on any board for most overclockers 4 VRMs or 8. So you may as well just do it and have a cool running system that won't throttle due to over heats.

My personal experience with this board goes above and beyond most that would even consider board for HTPC, running a couple few FX chips well over 7ghz at 2.0v (on two cores).

It's a stout little board, I've owned 2 of them and without issues, blasted some really nice overclocks using ALL different types of cooling from air, water, DICE, LN2 and even TECs. It's a good cheap board to beat on without worrying about your pocket book. It breaks, you could then upgrade to a better bigger board.

If you buy a board instead of using this one, I'd be willing to purchase from you for a spare LN2/DICE board.

Back