• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK MSI 970 Waterblock doesn't fit MSI 970??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sporktar

I recently ordered my full cover EK waterblock here to use on this graphics card. This is the only waterblock i could find that is compatible with this card. However on installation, i ran into some issues. A significant amount of the screw holes don't line up (around 4). This isn't a huge issue since for the most part everything lines up. However one of the EK standoffs is positioned over a small electrical component.

2015-08-21_224939.jpg

The fan plug prevents any real pressure from being put on this component so i slipped a piece of clear plastic between the parts to prevent shorting, and went ahead and installed the card.

because of this, the MOFSETS don't seem to get adequate coverage. I'm assuming this because after 10 minutes testing with folding @ home the pcb was noticeably hot to the touch, to the point where i couldn't hold my finger on it for more than a few seconds. actual GPU temps are fantastic, and vram doesn't really get that hot anyways, but it all has good contact with the thermal pads and waterblock

So i guess my question is how did this happen? I was under the impression there was only one board design for MSI 970's, and this block was designed specifically to be compatible. Did i just miss something in the product description, or has there been some update to the design? Is there an alternat block that would correctly fit my card? Would i be safe dremeling that standoff off my waterblock and using it as is?

more pics:
2015-08-21_223406.jpg

2015-08-21_223721.jpg

Double check with EK, send them pics etc. They can tell you what exact card they used, MSI could of changed the design after EK got the card they used to design the waterblock.

Once that is solved, then decide if you need to shave a bit off the standoff.

I was under the impression there was only one board design for MSI 970's, and this block was designed specifically to be compatible. Did i just miss something in the product description, or has there been some update to the design?
Sorry, but unfortunately there have been multiple revisions of that card (3 I think). I believe the EK block that you currently have is only compatible with revision 1.1

Edit: EKWB Shop: EK-FC970 GTX TF5 - Nickel
Quote from product page:
Only Revision 1.1 is compatible with our water block!!!

Last edited:
I recently ordered my full cover EK waterblock here to use on this graphics card. This is the only waterblock i could find that is compatible with this card. However on installation, i ran into some issues. A significant amount of the screw holes don't line up (around 4). This isn't a huge issue since for the most part everything lines up. However one of the EK standoffs is positioned over a small electrical component.

The fan plug prevents any real pressure from being put on this component so i slipped a piece of clear plastic between the parts to prevent shorting, and went ahead and installed the card.

because of this, the MOFSETS don't seem to get adequate coverage. I'm assuming this because after 10 minutes testing with folding @ home the pcb was noticeably hot to the touch, to the point where i couldn't hold my finger on it for more than a few seconds. actual GPU temps are fantastic, and vram doesn't really get that hot anyways, but it all has good contact with the thermal pads and waterblock

So i guess my question is how did this happen? I was under the impression there was only one board design for MSI 970's, and this block was designed specifically to be compatible. Did i just miss something in the product description, or has there been some update to the design? Is there an alternat block that would correctly fit my card? Would i be safe dremeling that standoff off my waterblock and using it as is?

Your card has the version 1.3 of the MSI PCB so you will need this waterblock instead : http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-fc970-gtx-tfx-nickel.html

And if you bought the backplate too, then you will need this one : http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-fc970-gtx-tfx-backplate-black.html

Check with PPCS by explaining them that you didn't knew the version of your PCB and the block you bought is the one for the previous 1.1 version and that you have the 1.3. They might accept to replace it. It's worth the try.

I just wanted to say that you are more likely to get a favourable response from PerformancePCs if you phone them as opposed to contacting them online. I'm assuming you are not someone who routine abuses, insults and swears at folks randomly. I have recently found Chris in sales and Marina in shipping to be particularly helpful and responsive to my requests. They are a PITA to get through to though so you will have to be patient!

And good luck!!!

I emailed EK, they confirmed what has been stated here, it is a 1.3 revision board. I just got finished emailing performance pc's asking if i can exchange. If that fails i will try calling them as cozumel suggested. I had no idea graphics cards even had different board revisions, and I've never used a full cover block before, so at the very least i guess i learned something new today. As a last resort i could try to sell the waterblock, or modify it to fit, but I'd like to avoid both of those options.

Back