• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HWBot scoring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately, I may be in the same boat as Joe and Witchy.
Possibly going to sell off the majority of my stuff and only keep a few select pieces to have some fun on the forum challenges.

I'll deliberate about it over the coming weeks and see how I feel about everything.
It'd be a chore and a half to catalog, price, and picture everything I have.

everyone that is thinking of giving up- at least give it some time as hwbot may once again change points back to what they are. they change rules like my wife changes purses

I'm preparing a comment for the HWBot thread. I'm including some quotes and am posting this here first any comments are welcome. If anyone doesn't want their words used I understand. I'll leave for a few hours but then I will post it.

I would just like to comment on the stir this has caused at my homesite. I tend to get involved in the OCeSports competitions quite regularly so the new point system has been quite beneficial to me. I went from #6 in Canada to #1 and #10 at OCF to #2, my points almost doubled overnight. While I don't mind the recognition, It gives the appearance ,in my eyes any way, that I'm a much better bencher than I really am. People that have put many years into this site/hobby and have much more experience than myself are being passed by Novices just because of the participation in competitions. I realize that the eSports should count for something but in many peoples eyes this new scoring system seems very unbalanced. I'm leaving just a few comments that express the feeling of some of your members.
I enjoy the hobby because of the competition, because of the points. Points and the competition among my peers are what made it fun for me. Now, users like me essentially get penalized for not participating in their 'esports' comps.
At this time, I am done with their nonsense. I will not be forced to compete in esports just to compete with my peers overall. I think that should be completely separate.
HWBot has always marched to their own drum.
It is their house , we just have to decide if it is worth visiting any longer.
hwbot definitely does what they want without concern for those that made them what they are.
I would like to see them increase the HW points from top 20 to top 40 to help balance this out for the guys that don't do the comps.

I just feel someone has to call them on it cause so far no one has. This has a very large impact on all HWBot members and IMO just wasn't very well thought out. Just like last time.

I just feel someone has to call them on it cause so far no one has. This has a very large impact on all HWBot members and IMO just wasn't very well thought out. Just like last time.

It absolutely has a large impact and they absolutely need to be called on it.

It will be futile.
CP tried making an impact statement on a couple of the revision changes. It made 0 difference. They're going to do what they want regardless.
Roll with the punches. Everything will change again soon. That's their MO.

Yes but sometimes the wheel must squeak whether it helps or not. I know it may make very little difference but at least they know some people aren't happy about.

I understand.
Just don't get your hopes up.
No expectations, no disappointments.

Don't worry Scotty, 20+ years of marriage and children prepare you for things like that. :rofl:

its a pretty sad bunch over there! It doesnt seem right to be the judge-jury-executioner when you are also in the crowd.

I still find it hilarious when Bill (bz strip infamy) caught them doing nefarious things, and also had emails of them doing so. All they did was call attention to his method of gaining their emails and basically said nothing about the wrong-doings.

This is massmans take on things. I'll respond tomorrow just no time ATM

Thanks for the feedback, Shawn! Just read the thread, would've missed it if you hadn't pointed at it. I'll reply here.

I understand that for some people this recent addition isn't great, especially if you're not active in competitions. However I would like to emphasize a couple of things.

1) To say we don't listen to the community is not true. Considering how much time we spend trying to find solutions highlighted by the community, I think we try really hard. It's just that ... "the community voice" is not uniform and it's very difficult to please everyone at the same time, for every issue raised.
2) I understand that some people don't want to do competitions, that's up to everyone to decide for themselves. However, competitions are popular. In Q1 this year almost 2000 overclockers participated in competitions. To say you don't want to participate is one thing, but to say others shouldn't have their competition effort contribute to their profile is something else.
3) Concerning the sponsored competitions: I agree that the competitions usually require to buy their gear to compete. We have voiced our opinion about this to the different organizers since we started doing these competitions, and all I can say is: talk to the company reps for overclocking and tell them what you like and don't like. Note that this year we've done efforts to counter-balance this with the Challenger Divisions and community-initiatives like the Old School is Best School, where hardware is open. I looked up some figures: in 2014 we hosted 38 open HWBOT competitions (23 Rookie Rumble + 15 other) and 26 sponsored competitions; in 2015 so far we hosted 59 open HWBOT competitions (20 Rookie Rumble + 39 other) and 22 sponsored competitions.
4) Speaking of the Challenger Divisions: for Div I, II, III, and IV, all three rounds could be done using the same CPU platform.
5) Looking at your profile, I see the largest contributions are from joining the World Series competition in Montreal and the still on-going Team Cup. In particular the last one is interesting. The point algorithm is set up in such a way that everyone contributing to a Team or Country based competition is awarded the full amount of points based on the team's overall ranking. In other words: if OCF wins the Team Cup 2015 - SC1: CPU Challenge, every OCF member who contributed to that win gets the 50 points. The same goes for the Country Cup; last year's Australian contributors all have 50pts.

Overclocking is, just like anything in life, constantly evolving. What we can do from our side is look at trends, listen to issues raised by the community and then try to address those. The ESPORTS points in particular give us the opportunity to do many things. For example the Old School is Best School or the low-end VGA modding competition series. But also low-clock challenges, competitions for extreme-but-not-ln2 cooling, scoped to AMD hardware, ... the list is endless. We will need help from the community setting all those up, though ... :)

the problem stems from the fact that a piece of hardware that they would deem worth 2 points to be the best in that class apparently can be worth 50 points in some far fetched competion according to their points!
I can see comps being worth points, but 50 points for a simple comp, really- really?

the problem stems from the fact that a piece of hardware that they would deem worth 2 points to be the best in that class apparently can be worth 50 points in some far fetched competion according to their points!
I can see comps being worth points, but 50 points for a simple comp, really- really?
Not defending HWB but, if same said piece of hardware was used in a live comp with a little cold juice it would be worth 250. Do you think that's ok?

Last edited:
Back