• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking For SME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dannyedi

Hi need advise, my office have just over 20 staff working here but the networking here sucks. So i'm trying to find a solution for the office. Currently we have 10mbs up and down static ip broadband, but looking to change the speed to a 20 or a 30 mbs up/dwn dynamic ip broadband package(so currently the speed sucks also But its FTTO that's good).

The office is 20m long and 6m wide, but the all of the walls are 150mm thick brick walls. Which is divided to front and back. And we occupy 2 floors (1st and 2nd)

The current setup is (modem>router>Switcher)*front>(AP>Switcher(server/other desktop))*back
Due to this setup the front area is not covered by the server. The 2nd floor uses wifi and a small switch that connects to the 1st floor back switch

Any advise on changing the setup ? And advise on new hardware. Currently using a stock isp router(which is bad) but will buy a new one maybe the ASUS RT-AC68U, and a new switcher NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS516PE.

Hi need advise, my office have just over 20 staff working here but the networking here sucks. So i'm trying to find a solution for the office. Currently we have 10mbs up and down static ip broadband, but looking to change the speed to a 20 or a 30 mbs up/dwn dynamic ip broadband package(so currently the speed sucks also But its FTTO that's good).

The office is 20m long and 6m wide, but the all of the walls are 150mm thick brick walls. Which is divided to front and back. And we occupy 2 floors (1st and 2nd)

The current setup is (modem>router>Switcher)*front>(AP>Switcher(server/other desktop))*back
Due to this setup the front area is not covered by the server. The 2nd floor uses wifi and a small switch that connects to the 1st floor back switch

Any advise on changing the setup ? And advise on new hardware. Currently using a stock isp router(which is bad) but will buy a new one maybe the ASUS RT-AC68U, and a new switcher NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS516PE.

Do you use cloud? What services are on site?
Teleworkers?
Are people using wireless?
Why would you want a "dynamic IP"?
What country?
if FTTO is Fiber To The Office>? Leased line? Or is it consume grade FTTP (Fiber to the Premises)?

If its a leased line WTF would you pair a leased line with a cheep consumer grade router and not some kind of UTM?

Do you use cloud? What services are on site?
Teleworkers?
Are people using wireless?
Why would you want a "dynamic IP"?
What country?
if FTTO is Fiber To The Office>? Leased line? Or is it consume grade FTTP (Fiber to the Premises)?

If its a leased line WTF would you pair a leased line with a cheep consumer grade router and not some kind of UTM?

Yeah we use some cloud base services (google things).
Not teleworkers, we are a architecture firm.
Yeah we use a combination of wireless and wired computers. (will be changing AP to a dlink DAP-2660 )
Changing because of its cost, it cost 3 times more for a fix ip on a 10 mbps broadband then a dynamic ip 10 mbps.
Country is Malaysia
and its FTTO if i'm not mistaken, it's not leased line. The fibre goes direct into my building into a fiber to copper converter that sits besides my router, its called a Broadband Termination Unit(BTU) by the ISP homenetwork12.jpg

And why should i get a UTM, currently thinking on a ubnt edgerouter which should be good enough.

WiFi
Look at the unifi Pro for wifi. Two would probably cover it, One per floor and with the benefit of central management.
If you can persuade people to get hardwired it will always be faster.

ISP
Poor internet speed is probably contention in the ISP network.
Do you have in house Exchange?

Why a UTM?
You could have a Trojan on your network and not know:
Short tale.

One day I started getting bombarded by emails from our office UTM about (Blocked) outbound traffic to a command and control server. I ask about the office as to who has an IP (which is from the visitor VLAN where mobiles laptops ETC connect) one guy with a brand new laptop is ignoring me so I go over for a chat.

"It cannot be this my mate just got it and I'm installing office Home and Student for him"

anyway he checks to prove its not and prove it is the IP at fault. Had been unboxed for 1 hour.

Top short lines probably innocuous I would rather block all javascript because of the big line.

The last two lines could be false positive from source forge.

Attachments

• utmlog.PNG
    utmlog.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back