• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can my PSU handle my new CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabriel_Shears

Registered
Hey guys, i've recently upgraded my CPU to a AMD FX 8370E
replacing the old one which actually wasn't compatible it seems...
(old one was AMD phenom iix4 965 3.4ghz)
But now i'm experiencing some issues in performance, It's shutting down, without warning, just goes to black and turns off. It did blue screen once but it was too quick for me to see what the issue was. It seems ok when I don't do alot on the pc, hence why i'm thinking the issue is related to the PSU, i was considering upgrading it but not sure what i would need in order for the rig to be able to run... without f*~king up aha. Any help and advice would be awesome thanks

my rig specs are as follows:

Psu: alpine 650w
Mobo: Asus m5a78l-m lx
Ram: 8gb 1866mhz crucial ballistic
Gpu: nvidia gtx 630 4gb
Wifi: Asus pce-ac68 (10m extension for aerial)
Hdd: 500gb samsung
Optical: sony-optiarc dvd-rw

I think your psu is up to the task.
I know that your motherboard is not and is on explode even at default settings, I think the vrm is overheating.
if we help you crutch to get the system running we also help you fry your gear.

Motherboard will crap out with an octo core FX.
Hard to say about the PSU, but I doubt its good.

Motherboard will crap out with an octo core FX.
Hard to say about the PSU, but I doubt its good.

ah balls, was told before that the motherboard would be compatible with this cpu.
any recommendations on which motherboard to get that would fit all my kit too? =/

I think your psu is up to the task.
I know that your motherboard is not and is on explode even at default settings, I think the vrm is overheating.
if we help you crutch to get the system running we also help you fry your gear.

I don't understand why it would be on the recommended/supported page on the asus website if it couldn't handle the cpu? :s blah!
What mobo would you recommend for this build?

Good, it's a mid tower.
Either the board caddi linked or a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P would definitely be a minimum board.
If you're looking to overclock, either a Sabertooth, Crosshair, or 990FX Extreme9 are your options.

Yeah looking into it I think I'd go for the sabretooth. Save up for that next month and then also want a better psu for sure. considering a EVGA Supernova GS 550W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply. Unless you guys think something would be better?

thanks for all the help both of you btw! this has been giving me a headache for a while now aha.

Yeah looking into it I think I'd go for the sabretooth. Save up for that next month and then also want a better psu for sure. considering a EVGA Supernova GS 550W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply. Unless you guys think something would be better?

thanks for all the help both of you btw! this has been giving me a headache for a while now aha.

That PSU would be much better than what you have now :)

Upgraded the PSU and was running great, ptu the new CPU in but yeah same problem, shuts off without warning. Looks like I'll need a new mobo after all!

Definitely. The one you have is a garbage VRM design.
Let us know what you're looking at before buying to make sure the same thing doesn't happen twice!

Back