• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is an i5-2500k Still relevant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MartinChrisA

Aloha!

I built a PC for games several years back. I just had my SSD crash out on me... Now as I'm looking to replace, I'm wondering if I should dump some more money into the upgrade, or if a complete rebuild is better.. I dunno. Looking for a general opinion, or options.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Intel i5-2500k Overclocked Stable to 4.2
8gb Kingston HyperX 1600
MSI Radeon 6950 - 2gb
750watt powersupply(brand excludes me at time of post)
1TB WD Drive
120GB SSD

Again, my SSD took a fat dump(tested in 2 PC's, and it's OCZ Vertex II, which I guess are plagued as it is...)

I'm thinking, of replacing the SSD and video card to something a little more modern. The reason I ask, is that when I purchased the card I have now, I realized that my board and chip at the time were not up to snuff and prompted the purchase of the build above.

I don't really want to spend $1000 bucks, but I *could*... I just wanted to get some advice before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the response!

Yes it's still relevant, the increase in performance from a 2500k to a 6600k is maybe tops 15%, probably closer to 10%. This also depends on what you're doing with it. If it were me I'd get a Samsung 850 Evo and a new Gpu as you said and call it a day. Though, if the Psu is a lesser quality unit, you may want to replace that as well.

Yes it's still relevant, the increase in performance from a 2500k to a 6600k is maybe tops 15%, probably closer to 10%. This also depends on what you're doing with it. If it were me I'd get a Samsung 850 Evo and a new Gpu as you said and call it a day. Though, if the Psu is a lesser quality unit, you may want to replace that as well.

I'm at work, I just can't remember the brand of PSU- but it wasn't cheap :)

I mainly just use the computer for everyday use, and some occasional Battlefield 4. I don't need Max settings, nor do I want to pay for them. ;)

Thank you again for the reply.

For gaming you might see a few Fps difference if comparing the 2500k vs the newest I5 the 6600k clock for clock. I'd be it wouldn't be more then 10 Fps though, you could easily make that up if you pushed the 2500k a bit more. I still own my 2500k and it is serving duties in my sons Pc, he plays COD and Minecraft to name a couple of games, without issue. It's been Oced to 4.5 since the day I bought it in 2011 on a CM 212. It's still a good processor.

+1

Same SSD recommendation and I definitely wouldn't rebuild if you have a 2500k.

Intel gave us too good of a chip in the second gen i5 and i7. Now they're just improving upon them slightly each year and making them smaller/more efficient.

I would not upgrade. The I 2500k is still a great CPU for gaming and there is just a little improvement with the i5 6600k

As the others said, the 2500k is still a good CPU and overclocks very easily. The only real reasons to upgrade to the newer chips is for additional features (more USB3 support, etc)

Back