• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 not seeing Samsung 850 PRO SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I'm home now and I've got enough energy to try working on the computer.

I'm going to try:

1) 840 and new SATA cable
2) seeing if a spinning drive shows up.
3) 850

If none of these options work, I'll be back to ask for help.

1) 840 and new SATA cable

Still did not see the drive.

2) seeing if a spinning drive shows up.

Saw it just fine. Same port and cable as the 840.

3) 850

Saw it just fine. Same port and cable. Installed fine. Running windows updates right now.

So, it looks like they are REALLY serious about their compatibility list.

Hmm, new install says one of my hard drive's isn't formatted. Sees the drive and size though.

The data on there was replaceable, so maybe I'll just pull the drive and not worry about it. I cleared out 6 TB of drive space getting rid of Burstcoin mining data, so I've got plenty of data space.

What new fresh hell is this.

I didn't like the level of lag when folding, so I was going to add a 3rd (non-folding) video card to run the monitors from.

I shut it down, move the cards, and try to turn it back on. Nothing. Not a fan flicker. The motherboard power switch is lit, but that is it.

So I put it back to its original configuration.

Nothing.

Ok, down to 1 video card.

Still nothing.

Ok, no video cards and plugged into on-board video.

Still nothing.

I shut it down and pull the board off of the benching station and look it over as well as I can without magnification. Nothing looks wrong, no dropped screws, everything normal!

Any more troubleshooting suggestions? I got down as far as just MB, CPU and Memory and still not a flicker, no beeps, nothing.

Or should I just start the RMA process?

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

pull CMOS battery > unplug > hold down power button for a few seconds to drain all power from system?

Other than that I don't know.

I do know I want a shirt saying "What new fresh hell is this" now.

Also, maybe try switching the reset switch to the power switch pins, who knows, could be the power switch has failed.....not likely, but those things DO happen.

*nevermind, saw it lights up*
*scratches head*

Well, clearing CMOS didn't help. Nothing but CPU didn't help. RMAing it.

Got the replacement today. Put it in, and after double-checking a loose SATA cable, it powered up and is running fine.

Thats right, srry, my reading comprehension/memory of past posts has gone to crap tonight.

knee pain + lack of sleep = i have no clue what is going on anymore

Yes, I just had a false start due to the OS SSD not quite being plugged in enough to work. However even with it that way, the board fired up and showed the drives that were plugged in. The previous board just suddenly stopped working. Fans wouldn't turn, and the only sign of life was the on-board power button being lit, letting me know that it wasn't a lack of power problems.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I'm currently going through a cluster of migraines due to the current anti-migraine drug that my neurologist is having me trying not working.

Back