• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 not seeing Samsung 850 PRO SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Ok, I've been banging my head against a wall on this OS install. Mainly because I was using a USB drive for the install ISO, and the board apparently needs the USB 3.0 drivers installed for that to work.

Anyway, I had a burned DVD with the right image on it, so that got me past the previous fail point. Now it isn't even seeing my SSD. I think it is a listed on the compatible list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360

It does have a BW at the end of the part number, so I'm not 100% sure. However, when I'm in the BIOS the only SATA drive that shows up in the optical drive.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't see anything that covers this in the FAQ at Gigabyte support.

Thanks!

On the Samsung site, searching for MZ7KE256 with or without BW gets to the same item.

But.....for it not to recognize *don't kill me for this* are you sure the connections are fully seated.

Just getting the basics outta the way.
Also, try another sata port?

again don't kill me...........yet

On the Samsung site, searching for MZ7KE256 with or without BW gets to the same item.

But.....for it not to recognize *don't kill me for this* are you sure the connections are fully seated.

Why would I kill you? You're trying to help, and that is appreciated. And yes, I'm sure they are fully seated. Because I've pulled the drive out of the bay and reseated them about 3-5 times already. No difference.

Just getting the basics outta the way.
Also, try another sata port?

again don't kill me...........yet

Yep, I've tried about 3 different ones. No difference.

I've also called Gigabyte tech support. They are supposed to mail me instructions on how to set up a USB image that does work. I'm assuming some driver slipstreaming will be going on.

If it works, I'll post the instructions here.

And don't worry, I try not to get offended at people that are trying to help. Thank you.

Well, I finally got the email. Gmail was bouncing it. I had them send it to a different address. 11MB utility. Too big to post here. So far it has been running about 50 minutes on my laptop. Looks like it is almost done though.

Hmm....

1. Does the SSD work in another PC? If so, its solid.
2. Doesn't the UD5 have some USB2 ports? Use those as they should have native support.
3. Put the SSD in the native intel ports (see manual for which ones)not on any 3rd party ports as they may not work once out of the bios without windows drivers.

Hmm....

1. Does the SSD work in another PC? If so, its solid.

Yes, it does. It is what I've been using for an OS drive. And I've even switched back and forth to pull stuff off of my data drives over the networks while this is going on

2. Doesn't the UD5 have some USB2 ports? Use those as they should have native support.

It does have some black ports that are supposed to be USB2, but once the setup program gets loaded and starts, it can't see them anymore. But the slipstreamed USB image program they sent me makes I so that they behave normally when I boot with it.

3. Put the SSD in the native intel ports (see manual for which ones)not on any 3rd party ports as they may not work once out of the bios without windows drivers.

I've tried it in ports 0/1/2/3/4/5 which are the native ports. It doesn't seem them in any of them.

However, I think I know why now. I'd mis-remembered which drive I had in which machines. The 850 PRO is in my laptop, and I have a Samsung 840 that I'm trying to use for this that isn't on the compatibility list. :bang head

So, now I need to decide if I'm going to try and swap the drive images between the drives tomorrow at work, buy another 850 PRO, since it doesn't look like the NVMe ones are readily available yet.

I think im lucky with SSD/RAM, I never read the compatibility lists, due to the idea of, hey its the same connectors it should just WORK!.
my sabertooth has like, no data on sandisk ssd's and they just worked lol
dual sets of Gskill F3-14900-CL98gbr worked fine...had to manually tweak voltage and timings.

Why can't stuff just...........well.....work these days loi

Nope. Just doesn't have the xhci USB drivers or w/e they need for z170. W8 forward has them built in... so I'd imagine it's w7.

Which OS are you installing?

Nope. Just doesn't have the xhci USB drivers or w/e they need for z170. W8 forward has them built in... so I'd imagine it's w7.

Whoops, thought I mentioned that. Yes, it is Win 7.

And given that I've got an Elliptical machine arriving tomorrow, I'm going to go ahead and get an 850 Pro for the SSD. I've already got the old system set back up until then (thought it has crashed once already since being set back up).

You'll need the SATA/AHCI drivers pre loaded into the OS on 7 for any drives to be seen.

I don't know about sata...I didn't have to do it. but USB for sure. That is why he is losingoing the usb...

You'll need the SATA/AHCI drivers pre loaded into the OS on 7 for any drives to be seen.

It tried installing them when it gives you the option in setup, but it still wouldn't see the drive even after that.

Z/H170 has no IDE mode and no Win7 install support from USB device. Simple as that because of "new technology" they disabled some features.

I don't know if there is other soft but here you can see that for ASUS boards there is "special" way to install WinXP and Win7 from USB. Check OC guide, there is description but for some reason I couldn't make it work. Still you will find some tips there.

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3829
http://www.mediafire.com/download/190aza3ootw8hq8/Install+OS+from+USB.rar

Since all boards are generally the same then it should work on Gigabyte too. Much easier is to buy USB DVD drive which costs maybe $30 and install it from DVD.

Thank god MSI has a mode to enable USB support for W7 in the BIOS... best feature ever for those on W7 and Z170. Flip that on, it installs just fine. ;)

I was installing only Win8/10 from USB on my Z170. I have couple of DVD with Win7 and no problem with DVD drive so I wasn't even thinking to install Win7 from USB drive. I was trying to install WinXP from USB but it couldn't boot even with linked in last post guide. Usually IDE mode solves any issues on XP but well, Z170 has no IDE mode ;)

Back