• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sensors, where to put them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eddie Current

I'm working on putting together my very first WC loop. The question at hand is where to put my three temperature sensors?

I have two rads with push pull fans, each fan header has its own temp sensor input.

The way I have the loop configured now:

EK-DDC X-Res CSQ Pump Out->XSPC GPU WB->EK-CoolStream PE 120 Single->Koolance CPU-380 CPU WB->Black Ice Extreme 240->EK-FB Asus CSF WB->EK-DDC X-Res CSQ Pump In

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 126
What kind of temp sensors are they.

It really does not matter where in the loop they go as the entire loop should normalize.

I am a little bit concerned with you raddage... it seems a bit light.

What are the system specs?

CPU/MB: AMD 8350 / Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
RAM: 32gb of J Skills DDR3-1866
GPU: AMD 6970 w/2gb RAM

Not OC'd at this time.

Sensors are stock header sensors from Asus.

I am confused. You still need sensors to plug into the header. I am unaware of ASUS shipping coolant temp sensors with that board.

Could you post a pick?

You do not have enough rad for that set up.

Not sure those can be used in water...at least, I never have/tried.

That said, I put one sensor on the intake so I know what temps my intake is. Then I would put one on the intake side of the radiator to measure intake temps at the rad. Finally, one on the other side of the radiator so I know what my exhaust temps are. This should give you a decent data set of airflow to that radiator.

Wow, 3x120 of total rad cooling a 6970 and 8350? Whoa... yeah, start that other thread. :)

They may be able to be used that way, I am not sure...but highly doubt it -> I have no idea how you would put that IN the loop in the first place...

Just thought I'd update your guys on what I did with the sensors and what I see so far.

Sensor No. 1: Under the CPU, shows about the same as (+/-1deg) to the internal sensor. This sensor ramps up and down Opt 1 fans.
Sensor No. 2: Stuck in the GPU to measure internal temps. This sensor ramps up and down the Opt 2 fans.
Sensor No. 3: Stuck in between the CPU clamp and the CPU die to have a backup temp and a way to ramp up and the Opt 3 fans.

Have not put it through and hard work yet, Ill keep you posted.

1. Under the CPU?
2. Where exactly on the GPU?
3. Between the heatsink and the CPU? Not a good place for it... no need for a backup sensor. :)

I don't really see the point.

You can get real time temps from the CPU and GPU already. A sensor in that area will just give you an inferior reading.

For a water loop you should put an inline or port sensor in and use that. Loop temp is way more important.

The only thing I can really see those sensor being useful for is finding a dead area in the case where you are not getting airflow.

Those are temp sensors mainly used for air temps. Not sandwiched between a very hot CPU or GPU. You will most likely melt somethings. Just have them setup as Con posted. Your chips and MBs already have temp sensors built-in them which are going to be way more accurate thanm those sensors.

As for the rad, that's not so bad but you will have higher delta-temps.

As for the routing, I would redo it. Short with some angle fittings is your best bet.

Also what case is that for a better placement of the res/pump/rad.

Those are temp sensors mainly used for air temps. Not sandwiched between a very hot CPU or GPU. You will most likely melt somethings. Just have them setup as Con posted. Your chips and MBs already have temp sensors built-in them which are going to be way more accurate thanm those sensors.

Yes I'm finding that out. That will be leading to one of my next questions in the near future.

As for the rad, that's not so bad but you will have higher delta-temps.

What does this mean?

As for the routing, I would redo it. Short with some angle fittings is your best bet.

It's only temporary? It's part of a much bigger project, thing will change a few time before the end (I'm hoping there will be an end, won't there?:shock:).

Also what case is that for a better placement of the res/pump/rad.

Box specs can be found at the top of this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/765960-New-build-do-I-need-more-radiators-and-fans

Back